False duplicates, is there a problem with appeals?

I have noticed that whenever I have appealed a wayspot that was deemed "duplicate", the appeal is rejected. Additionally, the appeal decision email doesn't reflect that the decision was on appeal or reviewed by Niantic.

I have two examples of this:

(This is the appeal decision)

(This is the appeal submission)

(This is the appeal decision)

(This is the appeal submission)

In both cases, there are similar, but not duplicate, wayspots nearby. I submitted most/many of the wayspots in both areas, so I am well aware of what is already there, visible or not. In both cases, I included in my appeal info showing that they weren't duplicates.

Title of the Wayspot: MAC Gym at the WL Wellness Center

City: West Lafayette, Indiana

I assume this has been marked a duplicate to the WL Wellness Center Main Basketball Court. It's a completely separate area though -- it is adjacent, but there is a permanent wall and storage rooms between them. Although it does also have a basketball court, it is primarily used for group fitness classes, open gym use, and community events. I also linked the architectural drawings in the appeal, which are below.

Title of the Wayspot: Boilers FC Soccer Field 4

City: West Lafayette, Indiana

I'm not sure why the field numbered 4 would be marked as duplicate. The goals are pretty visible on satellite. There are 7 fields at this soccer complex, I am not sure which one this would be confused with, since each wayspot is pretty well pinned to the appropriate field, and admittedly, amateur soccer fields do all look similar, even when they are unique fields. In my appeal I had included a link to the field map, which is on their website as a pdf, and I'm showing here as an image.

I am confused by the wording of the appeal rejection email and wonder if these two were properly considered. I do think that the similarities would require a 2nd look, and can see why, at a glance, they looked the same. But this is all evidence that I provided on appeal, so I don't know how affirming them as duplicates could be the conclusion.

Thank you for reading :)

Comments