Flag poles

Now don't anyone get me wrong I love the American flag being a US Marine disabled because of it and would die for it. But do we really need a pokestop everywhere there is a flag.

I have gotten several flag poles today (strange for I haven't ever gotten one before now) the first one was at a cemetery that the entry had not been nominated so I suggested to nominate the arch. Then I got one in the front yard of a house. Now one at an apartment complex. I don't think is right either because I can't hve one outside my house why should someone in the complex get one. We can't get one outside our office why should the housing office get one

See how that looks like someone told me on he once I would love to have one outside my window at work but that's not fair. When I asked about a VA Clinic. It did seem to fit the question but was information. These flag poles nominations are a way to get around the private property, generic business rejections I think.

Now that I have rambled on. Here is the question. Flag poles...... only when accompanied by something interesting or just because it's a flagpole.

Best Answers

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,540 Ambassador
    Answer ✓

Flag poles meet no criteria. You don't exercise, socialize or explore at them.

• Faversham71-INGFaversham71-ING Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Unless they're part of a memorial they're invalid as @SeaprincessHNB-PGO says. They're mass produced generic items too.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,497 Ambassador
    edited January 30 Answer ✓

There was an "all nations" sort of church in my home town that I recall having a row of a dozen or more flagpoles to represent various countries. Similarly, a downtown plaza had a similar display. To be honest I'd submit/approve that but know I may be an outlier. I spend a lot of time driving through rural towns that sometimes have a VERY large Flag of the United States and could see that, depending on exact location and situation.

Generally speaking, I would not approve a singular flagpole in a park or in front of a business unless associated with something else, like a memorial or notable commemorative plaque.

Post edited by Gendgi-PGO on
  • Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Single flag poles really do have very little reason to be accepted. But Explore is such a wide criteria. Does it mean explore in the sense of go on vacation there, point it out to an out-of-towner, or does it mean something you stop and admire the look of when you take a walk with your 10 year old child?

There is a business near me, that expanded the sidewalk in a semi-circle. they decorated the expanded semi-circle and put 3 flag poles around it. My child and I do notice it, and stop there when we walk down the street.... My child does say hey look at how the flags are blowing together...

But is it explore worthy? I don't plan on trying but it goes to show you subjectivity is part and parcel.

Answers

Answer ✓

Flag poles meet no criteria. You don't exercise, socialize or explore at them.

• Faversham71-INGFaversham71-ING Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Unless they're part of a memorial they're invalid as @SeaprincessHNB-PGO says. They're mass produced generic items too.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,497 Ambassador
    edited January 30 Answer ✓

There was an "all nations" sort of church in my home town that I recall having a row of a dozen or more flagpoles to represent various countries. Similarly, a downtown plaza had a similar display. To be honest I'd submit/approve that but know I may be an outlier. I spend a lot of time driving through rural towns that sometimes have a VERY large Flag of the United States and could see that, depending on exact location and situation.

Generally speaking, I would not approve a singular flagpole in a park or in front of a business unless associated with something else, like a memorial or notable commemorative plaque.

Post edited by Gendgi-PGO on

I'd give consideration to the 2 scenarios @Gendgi-PGO mentioned. There is an absolutely enormous flag along I-75 south of Atlanta that serves as a local landmark. And a display of a lot of different flags could be educational or distinct in some other way.

• RobertHiggins-PGORobertHiggins-PGO Posts: 92 ✭✭✭
    edited January 30

@SeaprincessHNB-PGO Yes that would be a POI I agree. I still question every Tom, Dick and Jane's pole at a office building or apartment complex.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Single flag poles really do have very little reason to be accepted. But Explore is such a wide criteria. Does it mean explore in the sense of go on vacation there, point it out to an out-of-towner, or does it mean something you stop and admire the look of when you take a walk with your 10 year old child?

There is a business near me, that expanded the sidewalk in a semi-circle. they decorated the expanded semi-circle and put 3 flag poles around it. My child and I do notice it, and stop there when we walk down the street.... My child does say hey look at how the flags are blowing together...

But is it explore worthy? I don't plan on trying but it goes to show you subjectivity is part and parcel.