Nominating military shelters

Hi,

I would like to ask you this question - what do you think about the nomination of military shelters? I'm starting the discussion because I came across such a nomination, and there are also others near this shelter that have already been approved. Personally, I have a few doubts about this type of nomination. Firstly - security, after all, these are nominations regarding former military facilities. Secondly - access, bunkers are often closed to potential visitors. There are very few of them where you can enter and explore their interior. Bunkers are usually mostly underground, so they are not very visible from the outside.

When talking about old military structures that are often within the explorable reach of ordinary people (i.e., visiting them is not subject to a special permit, they can be visited for a fee or for free), we can distinguish the following:

- The previously mentioned bunkers,

- Trenches (earth or brick),

- defensive embankments,

- Defensive embankments,

- Gun towers.

Some more fortresses or castles could be considered, but there is no doubt about the possibility of their nomination. However, in the case of the above, I think they already exist. So what do you think?

Comments

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,299 Ambassador

As with so much in Wayfarer there is a large amount of “It depends” - and that usually relies on the quality of the submission.

There needs to be something there but you don’t have to be able to go inside. So something to look at.

can someone get there safely - This doesn’t mean everyone - is the guideline about the location.

The bottom line then is - is this submission a place you would make effort to go to, explore! And all of that depends what you are presented with.

• RobertHiggins-PGORobertHiggins-PGO Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Going by the rules unless it interferes with the duties of the military or safety reasons and if it is something interesting that you can walk to for exercise. Even if it restricted to civilians. It is okay because Military personnel play also.

• TurioPL-PGOTurioPL-PGO Posts: 33 ✭✭

What do you think about such examples? In the nearby forests, where several battles took place during World War I and II, there are two places with several small bunkers. Most of the bunkers are located underground, the entrances to them are blocked (boarded up or bricked up). There are a total of 4 or 5 such small bunkers. They are connected by trench ditches (some of them are reinforced with concrete walls). The place is little known, although it is located next to a forest path. Personally, I would never have discovered it if it weren't for the markers on Google Maps. Photos below.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think @TrevorAlan-PGO may have better answers for your questions here.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,299 Ambassador

the picture for the first one doesn’t look great 2are ok and the trench looks interesting.

if you can find a good website with information about the site, especially the layout it will be a good source for writing a description and a link in supplementary to help verify.

pits not going to be easy but there is an interesting story there to tell.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Varies depending on the situation.

Safety is not a problem if the area is accessible to an unspecified number of people.

And I don't know what the current Wayfarer team thinks, but I know of a wayspot of trenches built during WWII that has existed in the past since Niantic was still a Google startup. (It's in Unalaska)

Personally, I think the difficulty in getting approval is that it is hard to prove value just by existing there.

So, if possible, it might be a good idea to install an explanatory board as a historic site, with the help of experts in nearby modern history and military affairs, if possible.

• RobertHiggins-PGORobertHiggins-PGO Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I am going to agree with @tp235-ING here. On the safety issue. They don't seem to have any real information for them. It probably would be easier if some type of marker explaining what they are was present.

I hope this helps

Enjoy the Game.

• Willocop-PGOWillocop-PGO Posts: 35 ✭✭

I had a WW2 Nissen hut nomination accepted but it didn’t have any plaques or informational signs. What I did was research on the net and managed to find out what that specific hut was used for. The links were supplied into the supporting information.

i would like to caution that this method is by no means a guarantee for any other similar military installations to be accepted, but it helps to validate it & make it nomination-worthy IMO