Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Listed wayspot address doesn’t match actual location

The address that is displayed for this portal in Ingress is off by about 200km.

The coordinates for the wayspot are 43.745276, -79.212674. This is the correct physical location in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

However, the address listed in the game (43 Dyer St, St. Thomas, ON N5R 5K2) is about 200km away.

All of the other nearby wayspots seem to have the correct address listed, so I’m not sure why this specific one is so inaccurate.

0 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a Wayfarer or Ingress issue. It's actually a Google Maps issue that I've seen pop up a few times before. In very specific locations there are sometimes address errors on Google Maps that link to places several hundred miles away. I don't know if they're intentional sabotage by Google themselves (if the "error" crops up in a different map, Google knows it was copied from them), or whether it is a genuine accident.

• nexushoratio-INGnexushoratio-ING Posts: 19 ✭✭

I had wondered if this was a GMaps issue, however, plugging that lat/lng into maps (and using the API directly ) seems to give a more reasonable answer of "3400 Eglinton Ave E, Scarborough, ON M1J 2H8, Canada"

It could be that the GMaps API gives a bogus response just for the Niantic API key (as suggested, as a way of detecting when somewhere is taking copyrighted data; this is a long standing practice with maps since maps were first created, to see who was stealing from whom, actually, any kind of collection of information).

It could be that the portal was originally incorrectly placed and a bad address is cached on the portal. I would not expect the address to be fetched on every invocation. While the API rules indicates it should not be cached unless it has an official "Place ID" (which my query showed), it is also possible that, as a Google spin-off, there could be all sort of strange things Niantic is allowed to do. If a place id go associated with the portal guid rather than the lat/lng, and it was moved or a historical bad result, the wrong value could be cached.

It could be that Niantic is not even using GMaps for that particular area and all of problems mentioned in this thread are the result of a different provider.

But, at this point, I think it does fall into Niantic's lap to fix. Either by asking their provider to give correct results for that particular query, manually fix their cached data, or have a way of dealing with specific exceptions like this.