Review later option.

May we have an option to review nomination later?

Sometimes I recieve POI nomination from my city, but I'm not fully sure about POI, whether location is accurate and if it is accessible etc. I'm ready to go for a walk to really check if POI exists. But nomination has it's own timeout, so it will expire before I get to the place.

Would it be possible to save 1 or 2 nominations for 24 hours, so reviewer can visit the place in question, check it. And finally send perfectly accurate review of POI.

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've thought about that before, but one problem is that the candidate may reach consensus before you come back to it... that would make putting it hold a waste of your time.

• I see 2 options: first you take a risk. You know that you time can be wasted, nomination can be decided without your vote.

Or second option: the nomination can't be accepted or rejected if at least one reviewer has it in Review later stack. Also in this case maybe you'll have to upload an evidence that you really visited place in question, picture with geotags.

• DTrain2002-PGODTrain2002-PGO Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

If it was a feature, I doubt I'd ever use it. I also agree that it may get through voting within the 24 hrs its on hold, or hold it up even longer. I don't think we'd want a feature that would hold nominations in voting up for such a long time.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't want your own nominations got reviewed?

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,542 Ambassador

They could never program a system where nominations were held hostage by someone putting it on hold. Abusers would have a field day with that.

• I partially agree, it could became risky that nomination will be blocked. But I believe there is already similar algorithm implemented by Niantic. Every time when I start reviewing first couple of nomination i got for review are nominations from my city or maybe from the same cell. I wonder if reviewers from the same area has higher impact on summary score of nomination. If yes, I assume that reviewer who physically check nomination should get even bigger amount of points.

If me as reviewer doesn't know about some local cafe or hidden fountain in the park, it doesn't mean that nomination should receive inaccurate review from me. I should have some opportunity to learn something new about my neighborhood and with this new knowledge give perfect review.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tranquillizator-PGO One of the problems with your last suggestion is that it opens up the field for massive abuse. If local players' votes counted significantly more than those farther away then everyone would always approve stuff in their local area just so they could have more wayspots... and people farther away who voted honestly rather than greedily would see their ratings tank. We already know that there have been local cabals/bot farms that have done exactly this and caused significant problems so giving more power to locals would exacerbate that.

Also, what is local? I'm currently a couple thousand miles from home, and if I pulled up Wayfarer I would start getting reviews from the city I'm visiting. Although I've been here many times I'm far from an expert on the area, and it's hard for me to imagine why my vote should have extra weight.

• The26thDoctor-PGOThe26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm only just starting to see a shift in the time it takes a submission to go through the system.

I've went from 14+ months waiting to lesss then a month.

Allowing individual reviewers to hold something back sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to individual submissions and the system as a whole.

• DTrain2002-PGODTrain2002-PGO Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

Agree that nominations are getting through voting much faster these days. I submitted 2 nominations last week, both with upgrades, and were accepted extremely quickly. The last one was submitted on Feb 10th, and it was accepted yesterday, Feb 12th. If I don't upgrade a nomination, I typically get a decision on it within a week, maybe a week and a half at most.

I can also see the massive abuse if this system was in place, and the anger that rest of the community could express. I mean, we've some crazy, angry rants for some minor issues here.

• Glawhantojar-PGOGlawhantojar-PGO Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

What if it didn't hold the nomination from being reviewed by others, and potentially reaching a resolution?

Like, you could just put it on hold for you alone and go check it out and when you came back to finish your review it could still potentially be seen by enough reviewers to resolve.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thought is that this is probably too narrow a situation for Niantic to spend development time on. As a reviewer, I would guess the specific situation where I come across a nomination:

1. that is very near to me, where
    2. I would be willing to go to check it out, and
    3. where doing so would give a meaningfully better review

represents much fewer than 1 in 100 nominations. Add to that that I am just one of many reviewers for that nomination, and the upside of adding this functionality starts to seem negligible compared to the amount of effort that would have to go into implementing it.