Is the Residential Apartment (Apartment Complex) Itself a PRP?

I have a question about PRP.

1. who misunderstand the Rejection Criteria: no residential condominiums (apartment complexes) (KOWLOONsGT: this is obviously wrong)

2. who understands the Rejection Criteria so well: common space in residential apartments (housing complexes) is okay as a place (KOWLOONsGT: I agree).

3. KOWLOONsGT: PRP is a single-family home. If the residential condominium (apartment complex) itself has Eligibility Criteria, it is okay. Location is not a Disapproval Criteria. (such as an award winning condominium like my post).

Is my understanding of Rejection Criteria in #3 correct?

一戸建て/PRP(private residential property)について質問がございます。

1. 不承認基準を誤解している人:住宅マンション(集合住宅)はダメだ(KOWLOONsGT:これは明らかに間違いです)

2. 不承認基準をそこそこ理解している人:住宅マンション(集合住宅)の共有スペースは場所としては大丈夫(KOWLOONsGT:同意します)

3. KOWLOONsGT:PRPは一戸建ての事です。住宅マンション(集合住宅)自体に適性基準があればそれは大丈夫です。場所は不承認基準ではありません。(添付写真のように賞を取っているマンションなど)

3番の不承認基準の理解は正しいですか?

Comments

• KOWLOONsGT-INGKOWLOONsGT-ING Posts: 183 ✭✭✭

So that means that multi-family dwellings are not PRP under Rejection Criteria?

@Jeroenix-ING さん

Thank you for your explanation about the PRP of Rejection Criteria.

I will do my best to convey the charm of architecture that won the encouragement award to everyone.

@Hosette-ING さん

Thank you for explaining the PRP for Rejection Criteria, until October 31, 2023 the Japanese translation of the PRP was very unfriendly as it did not mention the number of households or dwelling types. Many people still misunderstand it. (Actually, there is still a strange part. I would like to see "farms" listed in the disapproval criteria rewritten as "private farms.")

Thank you for all the thought-provoking information you provide. I enjoy my Wayfarer to learn about aspects of things I didn't know before. I think awards are one of them. The longer I live, the more I realize that there are awards that money can buy, but an award is still an award. I think awards can be the first kick-start of interest in an object ☺️

...IMO

Thank you for the knowledge you have imparted to me about townhouses. I looked up townhouses -> https://suumo.jp/article/oyakudachi/oyaku/chintai/fr_room/townhous/ (in Japanese, sorry)

I don't know if the English translation will work but ......

Townhouses are one of the types of housing complexes, and the site is shared. However, the building itself is not shared, and there is no common space. I would like to use what I have learned and rate the townhouse house itself as PRP in the future. The difficulty and interest of Wayfarer is that we can't evaluate everything uniformly.

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

You tread on interesting ground

Private residence or block there of is private. That said. IT is up to the local community who have MUCH better knowledge of their local laws to judge the nomination on both acceptance and eligibility criteria and address "if" private or otherwise.

Niantic rule or some old US court case do not have greater oversight on your local laws (local as in the country, region, town etc you live in or are nominating from)

So judge it or nominate on what all the local laws state include the rules of the building/area that govern the private block as they may have their own rules on what you can or cannot do on a property.

However if the ground floor is open to public with art or coffee shop. Or has an open public viewing area on the top. Or is recognised as meeting some award etc. Then provided it is publically accessible then go for it. Your examples talks of award winning etc - so is there a plaque/something near around the block that is publically accessible and does not contravene both local law and the building rules. Then nominate that.

An example. A local private block near me. It has a courtyard in its middle with sculpture open to public from 6AM to 8PM - 7 days a week. Two entrances with locked gates. Each entrance opens from a public footpath from each side of the building. That sculpture is a waypoint. The building it sits in is 100% private apartments. But because of the shared public access for x hours a day where joe public can go with no restricions/caveats that sculpture waypoint is valid.

I am sure many people will have similar examples.

Chose the waypoint. Evaluate access according to your country /region and local laws and the rules of the building as they will often restrict what both residents/owners and visitors can do. if it passes those laws/rules go from there.

To reiterate Niantic rules or comments from here or any other forum do not override local laws or associated building rules in any way on what or is not public access. It is only subject matter experts from your own or the nomination locality that can provide detailed advice on that.

Good luck KOWLOONsGT-ING - thank you for sharing and have a great weekend.

• sinXsan-INGsinXsan-ING Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited February 19

The links provided include descriptions of other award-winning buildings from previous generations.

This lists a number of buildings that are still in use today, including hospitals, kindergartens, fire protection facilities, power plants, and other types of buildings that are considered inappropriate POIs.

If the POI requirement is interpreted as being met simply on the basis of having won one award, the requirement could be expanded to include buildings such as those listed above.

Given the current state of review, it would be more appropriate to recommend buildings that have received more official recognition, and Japan has a sophisticated system for recognizing such buildings.

It should also be noted that the award in this case study is sponsored by an architectural organization and is more of a contribution to the architectural organization than a cultural element.

• sinXsan-INGsinXsan-ING Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited February 19
  • auntergoafa-PGOauntergoafa-PGO Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Just because this building has received the same award as a hospital or school does not mean that it violates the standards. We do not need that focus. What is important is whether or not the award has added cultural value to the building. I have searched for websites or word of mouth about this building and all I have found is information about room rentals.

The issue I asked in the OP regarding PRP for Rejection Criteria has been resolved. Thank you to everyone who responded ☺️

My understanding is that candidates that do not fall under the Rejection Criteria but fall under the Eligibility Criteria may become Wayspots. I would be happy if you all liked my final hand 🃏 that I'm about to show you. We provide information about the condominium series called Tojuso and the late Osamu Nakasuji/architectural office Hexa. After listening to my story, I hope that the pictures of gray buildings you see will be attractive and sparkle.

The Tojuso project won the 39th Architectural Institute of Japan Award in 1987.

↓ About the Architectural Institute of Japan Award (Wikipedia/Japanese)

https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E5%BB%BA%E7%AF%89%E5%AD%A6%E4%BC%9A%E8%B3%9E

The title of the winning work is "Series of Cooperative Housing." The reason why the gray housing complex in the OP, ``Tojuso Otemae,'' won the Encouragement Award at the Osaka Machinami Award is thought to be due to its history of winning the Architectural Institute of Japan's Work Award.

Tojuso is a pioneering project that invented the design concept of cooperative housing in Japan. If I were to make Wayspot nominations for them, I would highlight the fact that the building that won the Architectural Institute of Japan Award is located in Osaka Prefecture, and that the architect is from Osaka Prefecture, as an episode rooted in the region.

For those who are more interested

↓What is Tojuso? (Japanese)

https://note.com/tojuso2022/n/n4d90c667f5ec

↓ Tojuso/Series of cooperative housing/Hexa (Japanese)

http://www.hetgallery.com/tojuso.html

↓ Living Architecture Museum Osaka (Japanese)

https://ikenchiku.jp/ikefes2023/504-2/

↓ Bonus

The late Osamu Nakasuji graduated from the Department of Construction Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Osaka University, and completed graduate school at Yale University, School of Architecture, USA. (* According to information on the Internet)

At that time, Tojuso was featured in the news and became a hot topic of conversation. Here is a transcribed version of the talk given by Osamu Nakasuji himself as a lecturer at the 116th Urban Management Forum, looking back on the past (Japanese/very long).

https://www.nikken-ri.com/forum/116.html

A great place for exploration

A place you love to venture out to; a destination or a placemark of local interest and importance and which makes our communities unique and shapes its identity. Somewhere or something that tells the unique story about a place, its history, its cultural meaning, or teaches us about the community we live in.

I thought that Tojuso would be a good candidate for Wayspot if he could make a good presentation of his importance in the region (Osaka Prefecture). Thank you for your interest in architecture. That's all from me.

Thank you for reading.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely the answer is " NO".

Most of what you are writing is just picking up what you think will be advantageous to you and linking it arbitrarily.

Don't arbitrarily link things that you don't know if they are related or not.

We will nominate and approve a thing if the thing itself is cultural and good.

• S1111RRAH-PGOS1111RRAH-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

I’ve had a pool rejected in my complex twice now; the first time I did it wrong. The second time it was done because it’s apparently on private land… BUT HOA has told me multiple times it’s not a private pool. That they just have rights to it which is why they can’t do certain things to it like repainting it or something. The other credential listed is that it says it’s in the wrong location, which it is not. I am extremely confused because there are tons of pools as stops, and some of them are on private land. It took a month for this to not be approved, and if you look at the map there are no stops with easy and safe walking access. The tops that are closest to us are on private land with security or a walk down a major road that’s not for children. Please advice.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a clarification made that pools at apartments are ineligible. People are still trying to do the best they can with the new review flow, so are choosing the best reason they can find. Here is the clarification:

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/51200/#Comment_51200

Tricky one there! Publicly accessible amenities inside Apartment complexes could still be eligible as long as they meet all of the acceptance criteria as mentioned in our November AMA. However, swimming pools inside residential properties (including multi-family residential apartments and hotels) are an exception to these criteria and are deemed ineligible.

But since those AMA's have been removed from the Help menu, other people are just accepting pools as a GREAT place to be social, and get some light exercise.

If it were me and I were completely sure it was eligible, I would try submitting a few times, then try appealing if the community still won't accept it.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,305 Ambassador

Hello and Welcome @S1111RRAH-PGO

if you would like to go over to nomination improvement and post your last submission in full, and if you are comfortable the location, there are helpful wayfinders who will be happy to give some impartial advice and feedback and hooefully a fresh submission with that feedback will stand a better chance.

edited February 25

Does the Wayspot to be registered on the Niantic map need to be related to a world famous person or be a national treasure/important cultural property? If that is indeed the case, then there is no need for Wayfarer or Explorers, Niantic just needs to purchase the POI from Foursquare and the mapping is done. What a boring concept!

CORRECTION: Please replace Wayspot in the first line with Building Wayspot to read.

Post edited by KOWLOONsGT-ING on
  • Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KOWLOONsGT-ING Wayspots don't have to be related to world-famous people or national treasures. They do, however, need to be great places to explore, to socialize, and/or to exercise.

Awards can help something be interesting, but just winning an award doesn't necessarily make something a great place to (whichever)... some awards are prestigious, but many are meaningless. One example: It seems like half the restaurants in Las Vegas have been awarded the best (cuisine type) in Vegas, which means there are probably a bunch of companies that grant meaningless awards and restaurants pay to "win" the award.

There are plenty of awesome wayspots that aren't related to world-famous people or national treasures. For example, my city is filled with awesome murals that are all unique hand-painted art. Some are by famous mural artists, some are murals of famous people, but many of them are done by people who just love making art. I think they all make great wayspots.

@Hosette-ING さん

I think I understand the three Eligibility Criteria.

I was told that the architecture award in the city where I grew up was made fun of by people in other prefectures and it was not worth seeing. Wayfarer is fun (it's ironic. It's really unpleasant). Thank you for your kindness.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25

@KOWLOONsGT-ING

I just gave it as one easy-to-understand example.

So you don't seem to understand that I wrote that if the POI itself is cultural and worthy of approval, it would be approved.

And the Capsule Tower building is also designed by a famous Japanese architect, but it is more important because it is "the world's first capsule architecture to be put into practical use," and because it is "a symbolic architecture of Metabolism" and its residential building is one and only.

It should be understood that the same thing is not mass-produced, and that it is not like playground equipment in a park.