Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Bike "Trail" vs Bike "Route" Markers

Does anyone else see a difference between a bike trail and a bike route? Like, should a bike route that is just a designated lane on a regular residential street count as a waypoint?

These signs identify a bike route through a Richmond neighbourhood. They're on a regular road (with cars), not a designated trail.

Answers

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

I tend to treat bike trails/routes similar to hiking trails, so long as they also have pedestrian access. The sign must have the trail name on it. ("Bike Route" is not a trail name.)

In this case, is "Crabapple Ridge" the name of the street? If so, I would reject this.

• TWVer-INGTWVer-ING Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a directional sign to a place called Crabapple Ridge, not a trail marker. Notice that people arrive there from 2 different directions.

• LadyIslayBC-PGOLadyIslayBC-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭

Crabapple Ridge is actually the name of the bike route. I had a look at it on the municipal website while trying to decide if this was acceptable or not.

• TWVer-INGTWVer-ING Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think there is a difference between a trail and a route. As long as the route can be used by pedestrians, it is okay.

• WindStalker46-PGOWindStalker46-PGO Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was told to reject all bike/cycle signs as they are generic, but when looking at niantics guidelines it says that if something can be proven as connecting people around the world it became clear that national cycling route signs etc should be like the uk ones that actually connect over in Europe.

• Euthanasio2-PGOEuthanasio2-PGO Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

They should be reviewed like hiking trail markers. The only difference is that you should make sure pedestrians are allowed on them.

They are not really fascinating, but they encourage exploration.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Most bike trails would be eligible. But when submitting or reviewing bicycle trails/paths/routes, there are two overriding concerns:

1. PRP exclusions. This is most troublesome for a path that wanders through a city, as much of the signage will be directly at the forbidden "easement" s.trip of PRP.
    2. Pedestrian access. The area (and trail) should be multi-use, where pedestrians are allowed. A sign, for example, that happens to be in the middle of a bicycle-only trail would be disallowed. A sign that marks the entrance to such a trail might be argued as allowable.
  • laurbrooke18-PGOlaurbrooke18-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

A Bicycle route promotes exercise and green use. If a trail is allowed tons of wayspots in a park. What's the difference if the city has the signs in public areas. Sidewalks infront of prp are public spaces in most cities of the world. Medians are often used for bicycle routes too. I don't see the major issue with these. Yes they span far but each sign should be allowed to properly navigate the trail on a bicycle.