Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Wooden bridges on trails - did I unterstand the guidelines wrong?

2»

Answers

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

The reason footbridges on trails are eligible to begin with is because they serves a s a trail markers. Are all footbridges in parks trail markers? Otherwise, what specific criteria would it meet?

• grendelwulf-INGgrendelwulf-ING Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

Noticed two new "footbridges" portaltoday connecting a church parking lot to its senior center.

• PikaMagicaela-PGOPikaMagicaela-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭

This is just an observation really. In the UK we don't have 'trails'. We have footpaths and bridleways. Many have old wooden signs, other signs have been upgraded by local authorities with metal signs. All these signs can be and mostly are disqualified as mass produced and generic, even where they mark the start of the footpath, the 'trailhead', or a key meeting point for walkers on a named footpath. The problem is that often the named footpath only exists by name in local lore, which even when it dates from the 12th century doesn't help it qualify. They also exist with walkers' rights according to common law on the Ordnance Survey Map, although the OSM rarely has the name of the footpath that has been preserved by locals through the generations. One thought I had (though I'm getting on a bit for this kind of indirect action) was to join Ramblers or some such and see if there was any traction in trying to get a thing going for individual footpath signs across the nation. Just for now though, there is a rare 19th century concrete and wrought iron footbridge near me that actually doesn't even appear on the OSM. I'm going to try and get it Grade II listed to get it ingame. It has a lovely (apparently ineligible I've tried) bench from 1975 with an old non-memorial plaque on it where people love to sit and natter.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

Yes to me, trail is quite an American term for a path or walking route and in the UK it feels like all those terms are interchangeable, which probably adds to the confusion!

• PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

I think you need to understand the word as "fixed routed, created to guide you through interesting locations", such as the Tourism Agency creating a walking trail that guides you to local historical buildings, aims to have you discover the region, with along the way perhaps informational signs about that specific location.

A trail, path, sidewalk whose only purpose is to show you how to get to a town or 1 building or walk through a park is not a trail.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

2nd time lucky, finally got my first footbridge accepted! No live animal rejection too!

• J1nxLox-PGOJ1nxLox-PGO Posts: 14 ✭✭

The only issue I see with this is what has been said in Clarifications for Wayfarer, Oct 2019 - What about wooden walking trail bridges throughout a park or nature preserve on the trail/path? If they are accessible by foot and expected to be used as part of the trail, they would meet the criteria.

Here we see the usage of the words trail/path. There's nothing in the reply stating it must be a marked trail, or a trail instead of a path even. Often in the US, the trails are the same as paths, the may have a map and a name somewhere, but it's not going to be seen on the trail itself or anywhere near it. I have a State Forest with an extensive path and trail system, and the only time you see a name is at a crossing or the map at the trailhead miles away.

Here, if we can confirm the footbridge is on a walking path/trail and would be used to navigate that path/trail, we pass it - even the ugly concrete footbridges get passed because many nicer wooden bridges would wash away in a flood here.

• PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

The thing is, as someone mentioned elsewhere: how many footbridges do not have a path leading to it?

Solitary footbridges in the middle of nowhere, with no paths leading to/from them are unique in their own right.

Doesn't make sense that this long-winded clarification basically means "All footbridges in parks are eligible".

Questions about this have been asked for the September AMA and they've got my vote :)