Photos that Help the Reviewer

Good photos that help the reviewer take a little work. You cannot assume that just because you understand the features you are photographing, anyone else will. Your view of the context is far better than the reviewer's. The goal is to bring as much of that context to the reviewer as possible.

Portrait or Landscape – Most people are so used to using a phone in portrait orientation, they do not think about turning it sideways for a landscape picture. But landscape is your friend in many situations. Do not be afraid to turn the phone sideways to see if you like what is framed better. The supporting photo should almost always be turned in the landscape orientation, as more of the surroundings are shown that way, and less of the sky and the ground at your feet.

Distance and scale – A picture too close can distort the scale of the object, and too far makes details hard to see. Remember, we are talking about what the reviewer sees, who has less context than you do. Some landscaping features are acceptable waystops, but the closer to the object, the more it may look like a natural feature; and without several things to provide scale, a fist sized rock could be taken for a good-sized boulder. Near where I live, someone took a very good picture of an about one-foot high model wagon, like those used in the 1800’s. They did it in such a way as to make the wagon look life size. The item is not viewable from the sidewalk; I eventually found it by looking at the trees in the background of the photo on the patio side of the business. It is a worthy submission, but it is likely it will be reported several times as not existing, as I was considering doing. For those who are very skilled with photos, leave certain skills out for waystop photos. Frame the object in the middle half from the edges to see how that works for you and adjust from there, until you get a better feel for what you are seeing.

Perspective – A straight on photo tends to “flatten” the texture so it looks two dimensional. A photo at a slight angle allows a reviewer to see depth, which helps compare to Street View and Satellite View.

The supporting photo – A good supporting photo may be the hardest work. It seems like many think a photo of the surrounding area means taking a picture in the opposite direction as the object. I have found these mostly useless. The object still needs to be in the supporting photo; what the reviewer needs to see are other interesting shapes they may be able to pick out from Street View or Satellite View to help confirm the location. Fences and powerlines help more than you might think. Think about how something might cast a shadow in Satellite View. Point these things out in the supporting information.

I am sure other reviewers have seen things that work for them to make the process quicker.