Do pictures of potential Pokestops need to be taken during the daytime?

Can Pokestops have pictures of said location/object be taken during the night if it is still clear and well lit?

For example, graffiti.

Comments

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos can be taken at any time, as long as the subject of the nomination is clearly visible.

I've made submissions at 4am of info boards that became well lit using the camera's flash and they got accepted.

Generally, you want to present the nomination as best as you can, which often means you want a good photo to go along with it. Good lighting will help make your nomination presentable for an easier acceptance.

• PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

Night or day doesn't matter, as long as your nomination is clearly visible. Daytime is usually the standard, as night photos tend to get blurry or too dark easily.

Also remember the Supplemental photo needs to show the area clearly, with the nomination partially visible, as evidence to its location. Depending on where the nomination is, a Photosphere might be needed, which is again tricky at night.

I'd say try it at night if you want, see how it looks like in-game before submitting and come back later if the result isn't great.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,119 Ambassador

So long as it’s visible you’re okay. I like having night and day photos of all of my submissions so will often add a photo of the other.

Ideally, I’d like to have a new photo each season that changes appropriately but this gets tricky to do.

• TwoSkunks-PGOTwoSkunks-PGO Posts: 28 ✭✭

Getting a good picture after dark is a little more work, and there are a few objects that work better if the picture is nighttime. I once took a picture of a pair of glass block pillars lighted from the inside. I took the picture about 20 minutes after sunset, dark enough for the lights to be on but not so dark the background became invisible. That picture seemed to review more quickly than any of my others.

• PoMaQue-PGOPoMaQue-PGO Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a fun thing for Ingress indeed, to have Night & Day variations visible 😀

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

Good idea to take it when the illuminations are lit up but the sky isn't totally dark. That might work better

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately in my experience, this is one of the topics where people tend to come up with their own set of rules. I've had several arguments with people who said "all night photos must be automatically rejected", and a disappointing amount of people agreed with them.

So while your nomination shouldn't be rejected for this, there is a non-zero chance that it will be. So I try to avoid nighttime photos if I can.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer is: "yes, but"

A photo taken at night time is NOT "ineligible" per se. A photo taken in the dark where you can not clearly see the POI is.

But. I've submitted two things, both with images showcasing how they are gloriously lit up, the lighting display is very eye-catching and (relatively) spectacular. OPR & Wayfarer reviewers rejected these submissions, every time.

So I sucked it up, resubmitted each with "daytime" photos, and each was subsequently approved. THEN I added the original (rejected) photos, and they were fairly quickly approved by the Niantic employees. A thumbs-up vote, and now each of those rejected photos is the primary photo on the wayspots.

• Andrew0095-INGAndrew0095-ING Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

@Mikiimaru-PGO

I have reviewed many nominations. I prefer nominations taken during the daylight. However, ask one other question. Will graffiti photographed during the day be rejected too because the picture is of graffiti? I do not know. That is just some thing to consider.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

To date, I have never managed to get a nomination to through wayfarer when the photo has been taken at night. It doesn’t matter how much more spectacular the place is when all lit up at night.

But.

I have multiple places where I submitted the rejected “poor quality” photo to Niantic, they accepted it just fine, and with a quick little vote they are now the primary photo on the locations.

This currently requires an Ingress account to submit the photo and to vote for the new pic, but the wayfarer team is currently planning on offloading the review work to wayfarer reviewers, as well as expanding the ability of Pokémon players to do the submission + voting