Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Clarification on “Cemeteries” & “Memorial Parks”

It seems the criteria keeps changing, and there needs to be clarification for reviewers.

There is a cemetery nearby that changed their name to “Memorial Park” because they don’t want their property viewed as or used as a traditional cemetery. They encourage it to be used as a park. They host a yearly family fall festival, a 5k run, nature walks & other activities. It would be a shame to dismiss submissions here because it’s a “cemetery”. They’ve even assisted me with information for submissions, and posted on Facebook to encourage PoGo players to play there!

A cemetery that is named as a Memorial Park Is not the same as a traditional cemetery.

Answers

• TheBwad-PGOTheBwad-PGO Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

Why don't you link this thread in your supporting information? Seems a perfectly valid nomination if the information you've provided is legitimate. Some more recent posts might help, but I'd say it's a good POI. I'd also include the information that 'sells' this nomination that you have in your post here too.

I have linked a confirmed duplicate removal request in the supp. info to stop lazy revievers marking similar but separate art as duplicates every time it was submitted, worked well...

• LadyLightning98-INGLadyLightning98-ING Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited August 2020

I’ve had several submissions approved in this park, but lately have been receiving rejections. From other threads here, I’m assuming it’s because of the differing opinions on “cemetery” submissions.

Several people have commented in this forum that Cemeteries and Graveyards, and submissions within, are an automatic 1*. I don’t feel Memorial Parks should fall under that criteria.

• Hydracyan-INGHydracyan-ING Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

In my opinion, the cemetery itself (entrance), plus plaques/signs, chapels, crosses, and "public" monument and statues are valid nominations. But anything related to an actual tomb/cript should me removed and denied, because it seems really bad taste.

Some might see it as privape property, since its a space bought to that family.

• LadyLightning98-INGLadyLightning98-ING Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited August 2020

Historical graves/headstones meet criteria

Post edited by LadyLightning98-ING on
  • Jeroenix-INGJeroenix-ING Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

From Wayfarer help:

Not acceptable: Signs at the entrance of cemeteries, cemetery directories, other headstones or memorials (regardless of how visually unique or artistic they are), or funeral homes.

Standard cemeteries are not valid nominations. They may vary in historic/cultural value, but the guidelines seem clear on this.

• TwoSkunks-PGOTwoSkunks-PGO Posts: 28 ✭✭

I find some of the guidance quoted on this page to be a little confusing. I think we all know there are items in a cemetery that would be very acceptable waystops if they were anywhere else. What is the issue? Is it 40 or so people gathering around a gym every time a new legendary is released in Pokemon Go? I could see a fear of the ground being trampled in a case like that. But on the other hand, some apparently like to have a lot of visitors. Maybe what should happen is the cemeteries, graveyards, memorial gardens or parks should all be able to make direct contact with Niantic over their grounds, if they want the stops, and no submissions for these areas from Wayfinders.

• Jeroenix-INGJeroenix-ING Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Here's what has been said on the subject in one of the 'old style' AMAs:

"By some estimates, there have been 113 billion people have lived on earth. Almost 80% of those people were born after 1750. There are a lot of potential gravestones, memorials, crypts, etc. that could be Portals if we allowed them. In addition, there are differing cultural viewpoints on what is an acceptable activity to engage in at a place of remembrance like a cemetery or memorial gardens, or place of remembrance. These differences can exist across race, religions, nationality, location, etc. It would be very difficult to establish a generic global rule. However, what does seem to be a cultural norm across all of these diverse groups is the celebration and memorialization of persons who are of historic or cultural significance. These memorials are almost always intended, and in fact encourage, the public to visit, interact, and learn about the person being memorialized. This is why we have chosen to limit the guidelines to notable culturally significant or historically significant persons as it relates to gravestones specifically."

I read this as: You can't accept every item in a cemetery as they are way too numerous, and in the specific culture of the place of the POI it might be totally unacceptable to go and play games there. However, some monumental items ARE meant to be seen and visited, like those of very notable people.

You speak of 40 people in a cemetery at a gym, and that's a very real possibility. That's a crowd of 40 people (having a whale of a time) that grieving relatives need to walk around...

I think the strict guidelines on cemeteries are fine the way they are.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've nominated ONE grave marker, of the singly-most-famous individual in my Region. Roads, townships, community centres, and more named after him.

But despite everything qualifying THIS one, it took some six tries of varying language in the description/supporting texts.

And after all that, it's apparently never going to show up in any games besides Ingress, the cemetery seems to be some kind of "dead zone" for new items in pogo/etc.

So keep this in mind, as it'll be a LOT of work for you to nominate anything, and not necessarily for any benefit to you or your local gaming communities. If possible, I'd recommend using an Ingress account for the nominations, as (as it currently stands) you won't have to repeatedly revisit the location over and over and over just to take new pictures. (I was thankful when I was finally able to switch over to the Prime-nomination process from the similarly tedious Redacted-nomination process.)

There are at least two or three sufficiently-historic things in the same cemetery to nominate, featured on a city-sponsored walking tour. But given the effort required, and the minor detail that I am restricted to public transportation and/or 10-mile-bathroomless treks, I'm currently leaving them in the "maybe future eventually" pile of possibilities.