Pedestrian staircase?

I am unsure why this "does not meet criteria". It is an interesting neighborhood feature that "encourages players to walk and exercise" (it is a very tiring climb!). I thought location might be an issue because it is under trees but that was not the reason given. Should I try it again (maybe with better pictures?) or is it really ineligible?

This is the information I submitted:

Hiking Stairs - Field Landing

The midpoint of a 140-step outdoor wooden staircase through the wooded area between Katonah Close and Guilford Circle, where the stairs open up to an open grassy field

An outdoor pedestrian staircase linking two communities in an area without sidewalks that leads to an open grassy field for picnics or activities

Comments

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Is it part of a marked trail? Because the reason why trail bridges are eligible is because they serve as trail markers.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

What criteria do these meet? I would class this the same as a pavement or sidewalk - nothing of interest here.

• ceaer1-PGOceaer1-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! To respond to a couple of points: it is not part of a marked trail; it is, itself, essentially the trail. Maybe a picture showing it going through the woods, rather than showing it at the clearing, will make it clearer that it is basically a trail/hiking path.

I disagree that it's the same as a sidewalk since it's custom built to go through the woods and is a unique feature of the area. Many places have sidewalks, most do not have something like this!

I think it meets the criteria of local point of interest at least since it's used for hiking and a connection to the open field for picnics and sports (people often bring those pop-up soccer goals and have a kickabout, kids come to play tag, etc.), and it could count as unique architecture (custom built to fit the landscape) even if it doesn't technically qualify on the trail/trail marker/footbridge type of criteria.

I think I will try resubmitting with a picture going through the wooded area and some more detail about how it's used by the community.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

I can see this being a local landmark/meeting point and would be inclined to accept it. I've never seen one as large as that except at tourist attractions like waterfalls so that's unique enough architecture for me to accept it under that criteria too. Some things take a few attempts, so I'd take the feedback here and address it in the next submission and fingers crossed you're able to get it accepted. I'd also agree about not upgrading it so it maybe goes to more local people for review who may recognise it and see the value.

• Euthanasio2-PGOEuthanasio2-PGO Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I personally wish stairs like this or those in a trails were accepted. Did Niantic made an official statement on this? I tried finding some infos and failed to.

• TwoSkunks-PGOTwoSkunks-PGO Posts: 28 ✭✭

Try also making more of a point this is a bridge.

• PsychoX23-INGPsychoX23-ING Posts: 25 ✭✭

I reject staircases simply because it's to dangerous for players to be playing on their phones while going up or down them. That's just an accident waiting to happen and a class action (trumped up) law suit against Niantic.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I really worry as to why you feel that staircases are dangerous places? Most people use them many times a day at home... You don't have to operate the phone while climbing the stairs if you feel that is dangerous - just stop when you want to interact with the waypoint. If staircases are dangerous then so are most things.

I also feel the same way about other "safe pedestrian access" rejections. Often wide grass verges are rated as unsafe, or places in a field without a path. It's not just you - I'm quoting you because you brought it up but I do feel this type of rejection is more common than I'd expect and it always confuses me.

I think a staircase is designed to be walked on by pedestrians. Therefore it is very safe access.