Introducing the India Wayfarer Challenge: 16 - 26 March Learn More
Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Beached shipwrecks - seasonal? pedestrian access?

So, last weekend I spend around 100km from my house, going for a walk in Bray-Dunes, France.

The walk through the dunes, was featuring a tour along three old shipwrecks which become visible (and reachable) during low tide. I've nominated two as portals, and got surprisingly swift feedback (under 5 days, while my hometown ones are stuck for 3+months).

Supporting info clearly states they are only accessible over the beach during low tide. One of them has a memorial plaque with info, so they are clearly left there intentionally.

They were both rejected with a few reasons:

• Pedestrian access. I mean - it's a beach.. what more pedestrian access could one want?
  • Seasonal display. It's not like they remove the shipwrecks and take them indoors at night or during winter. Nor is it a temporary exhibit, they shipwrecks have been there for 80+ years.

There is indeed no streetview imagery, and on aerial it'll look like it's in the sea if it's a high-tide picture. It was tough enough getting a picture without people in it - let alone try and create a photosphere with people walking around.

Is the general consensus here it was correct to not approve for the reasons listed above? I don't mean to use this as a rant - I'm genuinely curious if I should avoid using nominations for things like this. They tick history / cultural very well, you just cannot consistenly reach them 24/7.

Best Answer

Answers