[Known Issue] Delays in Upgrades
NianticCasey-ING Posts: 538Niantic › admin
edited July 2020 in Known Issues
We are currently looking into a few issues that are impacting the ability for Upgrades to be processed in a timely fashion.
- Nominations incorrectly tagged for bad words: Some of these upgraded nominations were incorrectly tagged as containing bad words, which prompted them to be stuck in a pending state. Many of these have been manually reviewed, however if you think an upgraded nomination is still pending due to this issue please edit the nomination to resubmit it for review. You will be able to edit the text as long as the candidate isn’t in the voting stage.
- Incorrect abuse tags: Some Wayspots were tagged for OPR abuse, preventing them from being processed. Candidates tagged for abuse go through an extensive review of not just the candidate flagged but the overall history of the submitter, which adds time to their review.
- Lack of votes: While some of these Upgraded nominations made it through the voting process, some of them have been waiting for the necessary votes to push them forward. We are currently working on solutions that will automatically address this. In the meantime, we have requested manual review of some of these upgraded nominations.
Thanks for your patience while we work through this situation.
Adding on to what @NianticCasey shared last week, here's are some of the things affecting Upgrades:
- Nominations tagged for bad words: 99% of the candidates manually reviewed were correctly flagged for the use of inappropriate words or game-specific terms. Note that if your nomination includes these terms, you may expect a delay since these are flagged for review and removed from the main queue. We recommend the following:
- If you have an upgrade that may be affected by this issue, please edit the nomination to fix these issues. You will be able to edit the text as long as the candidate isn’t in the voting stage. More information on nomination management can be found here: https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/help#nomination-management
- When nominating new candidates, avoid using URLs, emojis, or game-specific terms (will be great as a gym etc.) in the title/description/supporting text. This will help you avoid delays and save your Upgrades for eligible candidates.
- Wayfarer Abuse: Candidates tagged for abuse go through an extensive review of not just the candidate flagged but the overall history of the submitter. As a result, these cases may take longer to review. Action will be taken on the account based on the severity and volume of abuse detected. In cases of incorrectly flagged candidates, the reporters may receive a warning or be suspended from Wayfarer.
- Other Issues: Some Upgrades may be still pending review due to the number of reviewers in the country or due to insufficient number of votes from high-performing reviewers. In addition to working on helping the reviewers improve the quality of their reviews, we are also fast tracking the review of nominations in these locations.
Post edited by NianticCasey-ING on
Reminder that this issue remains unresolved and without any compensation for over 3 months.
It's all very well and good but some nominations I have are a few months old and not even progressed including Upgrades yet nominations made 2 days ago have been approved ?? Doesnt make sense..
Maybe u guys need more moderators?? Etc
@NianticCasey-ING Thank you for cross-posting this here.
Just wanted to add some comments from the previous thread.
Problem was originally noted by members of the community in November/December and wasnt acknowledged until February and still remains an open issue.
I just want to add, please remember these upgrades are earned through our hard work and are literally our only compensation for reviewing thousands of nominations. For them not to work as intended means we earned nothing from reviewing nominations sometimes thousands of miles away. Certain areas in the game rely on these as we don’t have enough local reviewers to have any nominations approved naturally as a player who has earned 300+ nominations and helped create over 220 waypoints all of but 5 or so were from upgrades otherwise I would never have new waypoints in my area. Upgrades are vital and few and far between for us agents.
Hello, this is doing something to motivate pokemon trainers and ingress agents to check either with some poke coins or CMU. many send proposals but few review
in the meantime, i deleted the "in Limbo" Upgraded Submissions, that didnt move an Inch, and resubmitted them.
thankfully @NianticCasey-ING gave us those new submissions this week.
In General, i think it would have been better that those cases would have been handled manually.
i do understand that you want everything to be automated, but i think two clicks by you would have been the better solution. i wouldnt have to delete and resubmit my Submissions.
On top of that i lost the 5-7 Upgrades, i did manual hard labour work checking 700+ playgrounds - for nothing.
I dont want to bring this up here again, but also theres more than 10 of my upgraded submissions that were falsly rejected - it is a shame that i have to upgrade those and they get rejected by 10y-olds that didnt read the guidelines.
The below link, and other similar threads, outline the issues and ongoing ramifications of our Upgrades that were never properly applied. I finally had closure on 3 more tonight, so I remain at having 3 nominations I UPGRADED in 2019 that are still in voting, while I don't usually get much back from Niantic other than "they need more votes."
Some people seem to be exploiting this to deliberately report subs abuse so they get stuck. Any solution for that? Its becoming a problem.
sounds strange, but i would like to have a list with these bad words because some very important submissions for pokestops are still in waiting que and rly .... iam rly a bit mean cause of this! but
but well let me ask you niantic mods, are there other words or signs in titels wich makes problems? or is this the same for description?
anyway, one submission is rly important for me and others and im so frustrating that this one isnt coming into voting! but i will try to chance the titel and perhaps it will work then :/ ! ....
now iam rly mad and I rly need fast help of you!
because of the long waiting queu and the known "bug" (over weeks and months in waiting) i tried to edit the titel and description of one of my submission which was even upgraded. after this i clicked finished and it was somehow lost ..... that cant be! there was many time i wasted in voting and dping this picture and now it shall be lost? .... pls look into my wayfarer account and fix this!
iam not lying you can read why I edited my submission because i wrote the reason into this tread before my submission disappeared in the post above this one. ......
edit: sry for postinh here but i was unabel to select one categorie in the bug forum ......
edit2: ok its back, god thanks, but still, its some strange bug!
A good solution for this (IDK if it's already implemented) would be passing all those upgrades which are in "pending" but have already 2 months like that, to "voting" so they don't stay forever pending.
Still 6 Upgrades In Queue, the latest fix only helped two. @NIAPooja
@NianticCasey-ING what happened to the promised update today for the upgrade issue?
when they did called for the update?
anyway i changed the subbmission titel and text, how long does it took someone look over it so it could get into voting?
because i wanne check if it could work now with the new (but bad) text or not ....
Saturday i have friday on my mind @NianticCasey-ING
Will there be an update today?
@NianticPooja has been working directly with the Wayfarer team to sort out all of the different layers involved in resolving this issue and she's promised an update for you by Friday.
@NianticCasey-ING it looks like an update was forgotten. It feels like traction was finally happening. We've been waiting months, so even missing a day feels like another setback.
still nothing happened today?
We are currently working on solutions that will automatically address this. In the meantime, we have requested manual review of some of these upgraded nominations.
There is a disconnect between the ability to nominate, and the ability to review. Without the first mandating the second, there will never be enough reviewers to go around.
Something like this, has been necessary since the beginning, but it's moreso now with a far deeper pool of nominations coming in.
To further analyze this issue, you could check nomination ID JBGp3eyIICM1kQDZJcJJufKUzVds5QI0JD11FyZUVWc=
It was nominated with 6 other wayspots two weeks ago. I know 2 weeks are not much, but 5 of them were accepted within 3-5 days. This one though is still in voting although upgraded and in the same low density area where no wayspots are around.
Perhaps this helps to hunt down the issue. If the behavior is correct, then it's fine!
what you tell is hpw it worked normaly for me at the beginning ... i upgraded something, it was in queue for 1-2 days or less and after 1-2 days it was a stop into game. but since some weeks ...only 2 submissions caame into voting .... still waiting for some very important subs to come into voting :/ .....
I've had an upgrade stuck in voting for over 2 weeks, while 5 other upgrades have gone into, and completed, voting since then. All of my upgrades other than this one have completed voting (accepted or rejected) in less than 48 hours. I have also tried contacting support, and they've said "not enough votes." Which doesn't make since because my 5 other upgrades have gone through after. My only thought is that it is pushing the most recent upgrade to have voting priority, pushing my original upgrade behind my newer ones. Does anyone know if this is true?
This is the common answer for such requests, I'm getting this all the time. And yes, it seems Niantic doesn't know and use the FIFO method, that's why old nominations can get stuck.
@Gendgi @AgentB0ss-ING: sorry that the promised update didn't come through. That's not ok.
I'm going to chase that information down and make sure that it gets posted here (and in the Ingress forum).
I also made the observation. Especially at sessions where I made many nominations in one day. 2-3 go to voting and a decision is made quickly. The rest stuck in queue or voting for several months.
thanks for info .... but well .... to be honest thats rly not okay! problems since weeks, then niantic promise something and it didnt happend. me and other wait since weeks for the upgraded submissions who didnt come into voting. i hope we get some new infos soon and to late like in this case ~
i highly recommend to read here, to be up to date
we are currently waiting for @NIAPooja @NianticCasey-ING
I just read this  and iirc, the "stuck" upgrade mentioned above was automatically upgraded while the others were selected manually. Perhaps automatic upgrades have this kind of issue?
the info about the delay from end of january is well known i think. important is whats happening now or the next days and weeks!
its a certain week in wich the submissions have trouble ... sadly 2 things wich come in were not accepted.
but the good things wich shall work are still in queue with upgrade ... sadly.
but i had stuff from the weekend, from 3 upgraded things 2 came in voting 1 accepted 1 not (grgr) but thats ok for me when it didnt take to long
Thanks for your patience, everyone. I added an update in the main post above, let us know if you have any questions/comments.
Thank you for the update @NIAPooja.
I have a few questions though.
Are these delayed Wayspot Nominations being flagged by a computer/automated system, or by other reviewers?
Also, you said that we should avoid using URLs and in the supporting statement.
But this comment on Reddit by @NianticCasey-ING states that it is okay to have URLs in the supporting statement.
Does this mean URLs and game specific terms in the supporting statement was the cause of some flags that made these Wayspot Nominations delayed? Or does this mean that URLs in the supporting statement and game specific terms just flagged as abuse by other reviewers which caused the delays? Or both?