Seeking advice: Historic school site

I'm looking for advice on whether it's worth resubmitting this POI or if it's a doomed submission.

The site of a now-demolished school has a tourist sign erected - https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/k1VI2ufHw3tgdrxQSQAQlT8J3YRZo7udL-S5Yoz18wSe6GDJ2G8UU9Ce1p_ccTbyO6QcwMUjg2gRIkhX0Fi5bVgGf8M=s0 - and it is safe to access - https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0bAyRU7_qRCXVKQdvlivjRIJx-9gcywJ-sqo-3Mfh12b3igEpHfimbSTQOl46rRAdt8KBJLdBQ7dh4YJl29Q2YaqaQ=s0

Description: Site of the historic Cohen school; now a rest stop for quick breaks or free overnight camping beside the Eyre Highway.

The sign is intended as the POI but the only objects in the area are trees and dirt. This nomination has been rejected due to the following reason(s): Nomination appears to be a natural feature (waterfall, mountain, lake, etc.) that is not connected to a man-made object.

Is it worth re-submitting? If so, how do overcome the possiblity of further rejection due to trees in the area? Thanks.

Comments

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on that information, no.

you've not explained why its historic, why the area is of importance, or even given any hint of why its a worthy POI.

So it was an area for an old school, sorry to be blunt but so what ?

If you want it to be accepted you need to sell it as a POI, and currently you've not done that.

If you have more details or info on why it should be a POI then include that in the re submission, if not then theres nothing currently to make it more than a 1* sub

• DukeOfBellaire-PGODukeOfBellaire-PGO Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I'd definitely take a closer look and lean towards acceptance. The photo looks excellent and I love unique history - it's a brown sign which universally symbolizes a recreation area established by government agencies.

But it takes more effort. I would try to summarize the history of Cohen School in one or two sentences in the description. It must have been something significant for a reason - such as the first school house in the area or a famous person went there. I don't think the words "rest stop" or "camping" will help but perhaps mention scenic view rest stop, if necessary.

It would be super if you can get the far-away photo of the sign and the foundation of the old school in the photo.

Then in the Supporting Info, add a paragraph history and if possible, a website link for reviewers who may want to inquire more details. As you probably know, please don't add www link in the description as it will be rejected.

I came across a review almost exactly like this in Texas a few months ago. It took almost 20 minutes for me to research and verify the history and existence. It would have saved a lot of my time if the nominee had given a website link in the Supporting Info. Also, be sure the sign can be seen from Google Street View as it might not be readily visible from satellite view. Sometimes it helps to copy/paste the exact Google view link.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Yes, what Duke said. I got interested and found a couple of sites that would make me accept it. This was my favorite:

http://www.australiasomuchtosee.com/2019c10.htm

Definitely try again!

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a side note, the ruins and the model pictured on that site could also make a couple of interesting wayspots, and if one or both of them were already in the game, it might also help this submission get approved.

I agree that you need to sell it a little better and get in some key words. Any concrete information about the school would also help. Perhaps something like:

Site of the historic Cohen school, built [year]; now a public park and tourist destination beside the Eyre Highway. The ruins of the school and a small stone model of the old school both still stand.

If you don't feel comfortable calling it a park, maybe replace that with:

Site of the Cohen school, built [year]; now a historic site and tourist destination beside the Eyre Highway. The ruins of the school and a small stone model of the old school both still stand.

Definitely include the above link in your supporting information. I would probably avoid mentioning the free camping aspect, not because it's an automatic disqualifier, but because it doesn't really help your case.

• MooQuack007-PGOMooQuack007-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited September 2020

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments and feedback. I'll consider different wording next time.

@Theisman-ING Unfortunately, as a very rural POI, I nominated it during the day and came back to it in the evening to tighten up the description but it was already in voting so couldn't be edited further. All I could really find online was that it opened in 1933 with nine students, and closed in 1940, but I had intended to add that.

@DukeOfBellaire-PGO - The distance between the tourist road sign (near the road) and the school itself (out the back of the rest stop) is about 150 metres and the view is blocked by trees due to the design of the road stop, so a pic with both isn't possible.

@cyndiepooh-ING I found that website but it didn't give any real history, which I was hoping for.

I appreciate the responses.