Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Can you think of the conditions that would make a fire hydrant an effective spot?

tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This spot is decorated but is a fire hydrant.

And it's a mass-produced product with only different decorations.

These have the conditions to be rejected under POI standards, but due to deceptive endorsements and low-level screening without saying they are fire hydrants, these spots have proliferated to more than 20 locations in the past few months.

As a result, I submitted an invalid spot application, but Niantic staff deemed it a valid spot and denied the application.

So, thinking backwards, can you tell me the conditions under which the object to be denied is approved and Niantic staff is of the opinion that it is a valid spot?

This is all that exists just from my research in August.

キレンジャク 43.8172,142.3859

キレンジャクのオブジェ 43.800625,142.36016

キレンジャクのオブジェ 43.800042,142.356824

キレンジャクのオブジェ 43.799149,142.351038

シラカバとキレンジャクのオブジェ 43.783519,142.355097

市民の鳥『キレンジャク』 43.787907,142.340472

エゾリマリスのオブジェ 43.782365,142.344275

クルミとリス 43.777083,142.342718

旭川の鳥「キレンジャク」と白樺の木 43.775453,142.338657

キレンジャクのオブジェ 43.773517,142.342923

旭川の鳥『キレンジャク』 43.772366,142.347515

シマリスくん 43.770804,142.327387

おしゃれな消火栓 43.769492,142.325486

シマリスの消火栓 43.764359,142.324032

エゾリマリスのオブジェ 43.757056,142.334829

リスの消火栓 43.75654,142.350539

クルミとシマリス 43.761423,142.35258

鳥と白樺の消火栓 43.783017,142.37586

キレンジャクのオブジェ 43.791452,142.383792

永山わんぱく公園 自主防災消火栓 43.797183,142.408736

キレンジャクのオブジェ 43.761285,142.418874

Answers

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

The feedback from Niantic on fire hydrants has been inconsistent. Casey said to reject under interfering with emergency services, but then came back and said the team was discussing it further. And, they don't seem to be removed when reported. Your best bet is to use the emergency service removal reason, but as you can see, they don't seem to remove them. 🤷‍♀️

• Jeroenix-INGJeroenix-ING Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

@tp235-ING Hi,

I looked at the coordinates, and found that those fire hydrants look like this:

...so I kinda understand why they're not removed, they look like statues/sculptures. NIA doesn't have the time to deep-dive into every case, so an appeal is necessary if you have additional evidence for them. Use the "Invalid Wayspot Appeals"-part of this forum to provide evidence (for example: provide zoomed-out geotagged photos, street view photospheres, or local news articles about them). Maybe you can appeal ONE of them, and provide your coordinate list in the same post. And then hope they don't require all of them in separate appeal posts...

To answer the question: fire hydrants are of course to be kept clear in case of emergency, unless for example it's a very old one that has been rendered obsolete, non-functional and kept for historic purposes, clearly documented. That is the only reason I can think of. Making them pretty with sculpture or painted art is by no means a reason that they're suddenly acceptable Wayspots.

I wish you luck with this, as I think keeping those online is an accident waiting to happen (what if some are Gyms with lots of cars parked in front of them during raids?)

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close. @NianticCasey-ING forwarded information directly from the Wayfarer Team, that fire hydrants (painted or not) are to be rejected as "obstructing emergency services".

We, as Wayfarers and as players, are also mandated to request removal of any wayspot that interferes with emergency services.

Therefore if we find a fire hydrant in the game, we should be requesting its removal on those grounds. Also therefore, the Wayfarer Team would also need to honor those removal requests under the "blocking emergency services".

This is definitely a case where Niantic NEEDS to be consistent -- either they block emergency services or they don't. They need to either be accepted by reviewers and denied for removal, or be rejected by reviewers and accepted for removal. You guys can't have it both ways.

• Raachermannl-INGRaachermannl-ING Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Jeroenix-INGJeroenix-ING Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

To be clear: the last comment Casey made about the subject was this:

"In response to the significant discussion that my reply kicked off, I brought this to other members of the Wayfarer team to discuss and they agree that Wayspots at fire hydrants can get in the way of emergency services and should be considered ineligible."

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. That's the second comment from @NianticCasey-ING, copied exactly from https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/4243/painted-fire-hydrants/

Which is exactly the same information I repeated above, paraphrased. That the Wayfarer Team itself declared fire hydrants to be ineligible due to blocking of emergency services.

And I repeat myself: if anything blocks emergency services, then we've been asked to request their removal. Either fire hydrants block emergency services or they do not. Either they should be removed when discovered or they should not. But IF they are not eligible for removal? Then Niantic is implicitly voiding their earlier instruction that they are ineligible.

This has be be consistent, not ramshackle.

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the only thing I said differently was that I said Casey said it, not the team. However, somewhere in this forum Casey made another comment- to keep rejecting them for emergency service reasons, BUT to stay tuned because they are going to continue discussing it. It may have been in an entirely separate thread. I feel like that just made the topic even more confusing.

And I've seen removal appeals for fire hydrants that were allowed to remain in the games . So it is definitely sending a mixed message. Its possible the appeals team did not get the "memo".

• Scope65-PGOScope65-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

What if the fire hydrant is non-functional and a historical artifact as the first one in the area?

I got that exact situation in a review earlier.

I marked it as eligible. Same as I would for a historic police call box.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,488 Ambassador

The post you're looking for is here:

Where Casey says (emphasis mine):

Additionally, any that are defibrillators are ineligible as possibly interfering with emergency services (similar to the previous ruling about painted fire hydrants, although we're re-opening that discussion internally as well).

Note that as of today, Casey's original comments saying fire hydrants are ineligible were made 3 months ago.

It seems as though Casey (and Niantic Wayfarer in general) clarifications only exist to further divide the reviewer community by not fulfilling promises of updating guides and making conflicting statements.

I do agree, @0X00FF00-ING, that if the guidance to reject is truly "obstructing emergency services," then the logic also MUST apply to removal requests. If we do not see consistency of them removing such Wayspots, it only adds to the confusion and conflict.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say, it would need to be decommissioned, painted and be allowed by the government/Council with the artists website

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks you all for your varied input.

I hope their meeting on this matter is over soon.

It's scary though because the SOON in Niantic can be infinite.