Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Tree shaped cell towers

Are cell towers that look like trees or palm trees eligible? I came across an already approved wayspot with one while reviewing and was wondering if it’s eligible. In my opinion they are generic, since I see them everywhere in Arizona.

Best Answer

Answers

• Basebalkid-PGOBasebalkid-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭

To cover my basis, generic cell phone towers are not considered good waypoints. The ruling for this definitely comes down to uniqueness factor. I'd be inclined to vote no. I grew up in California, where it was common practice to disguise towers as trees. The cell phone companies definitely have some sort of ability to mass produce these.

• BoboOhno-PGOBoboOhno-PGO Posts: 12 ✭✭

Looking into it a little, some are out in the open and some have fencing around them. I always thought they were kinda cool when I first would see them around, but now they just seem common. I can see how some may consider it “art”. But I agree, would need to see if there are others nearby if one came across for me to review. I wasn’t reviewing that one, just caught my attention and I’ve since seen another while reviewing.here are a few I found on google:

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

This is the only thing similar in my area.

In my mind, they are mid level quality wayspots. They could be accepted or rejected based on locality.