Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Are climbing halls generic stores?

ninemst1-PGOninemst1-PGO Posts: 21 ✭✭

Hello, I have nominated an indoor climbing hall as POI, but was rejected due generic store. Is this correct, does a climbing hall is considered as a generic store or I’m just unlucky.

Answers

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

That sounds incredibly unlucky, because that's definitely a place to take a friend, and also good for community because there are coaching sessions and you can meet friends there to climb as a group, and also it is encouraging physical exercise! I think they meet a lot of criteria. Our local wall is a waypoint, although it pre dates wayfarer.

Can we see the nomination? I definitely think that a climbing wall should be eligible.

• kirean-INGkirean-ING Posts: 34 ✭✭

From: https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/help#niantic-wayfarer-clarifications-january-2020

Activity-related businesses (gyms, dance studios, martial arts studios, etc.)

• Acceptable: Businesses that have been featured prominently in travel guides, those with historical or cultural significance or are a popular tourist destination. 
    • Not acceptable: Generic businesses with no distinguishing feature or significance or those that are part of a K-12 school.
  • ninemst1-PGOninemst1-PGO Posts: 21 ✭✭

@FrealafGB-PGO thx for your response. This is the place: www.boulder.one

When I nominated, I was thinking on the same things and that was why I thought it was elegible.

@kirean-ING @kirean-ING thank you for pointing me to the statement about this places. Since I’m quiet new to wayfarer.  - Athletic fields: Eligible, as long as they are publicly accessible. If the fields are marked by signs, submit the signs as Wayspots. Also, ensure that the Wayspot appears to be at least 40 meters away from a private residence.

Both are places where people go to sport, social contact.... Only thing I see a difference in is, one is inside while the others are outdoor. As the business part: any soccer, basket, tennisclub can’t exist without income, so they also have to run there club as a business.

Do I see this wrong?

Ps: sorry if my text is not that smooth but English is not my native language 🙂

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I can't see how a climbing wall is a generic business - most towns in the UK do not have one at all, and there would usually just be 1 in the larger towns. So it seems like a very unusual venue to me and there was a lot of excitement when our town finally had one open. I wasn't a climber when it opened but I was so excited to try! I would also say this means that it can be considered a tourist venue because its definitely somewhere you would take a visitor to the area.

Our local climbing wall hosts birthday parties and corporate training days, and has the most divine independent cafe with home made cakes. It's not part of a chain, and it hosts climbing competitions with people from the rest of the UK. It really doesn't feel like a generic business for so many reasons, and the others I've been to have had the same vibe.

Maybe you could check for top climbers who have practiced there, or give details of competitions or events with a cultural value that are hosted at the venue? That might help reviewers see the value?