How to improve local coffee shop nomination

This one’s left me scratching my head. I thought for sure it would pass without issue.

I fail to see how the only vegan bakery & coffee shop in this neighborhood would be a generic store or restaurant.

Im at the point where I may just stop nominating hyper local spots.

Comments

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've failed to sell its importance as a local hyperspot.

Whilst at one time its true that vegan coffee shops and bake houses would be a unique business, thats no longer the case, I have one down the road from me and I live in a rural town.

Your support statement didn't give any details of its importance or whats unique about it to be a hyperspot, all it did was give location details.

If you want it accepted you need to explain whats unique about the business, just because it only serves vegan items isn't enough to qualify it.

• TorvoTeratos-PGOTorvoTeratos-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

I think this could be an approvable submission, but you really worked against yourself in your description and didn't offer any more in depth information in your supporting information.

"The only vegan coffee shop and bakery" - due to how specific this is, that's more niche than special - "on the West Side" - this submission was upgraded and sent out to tons of people who have no idea how big your west side is or how well developed it is, so we have no idea if this is a special claim or not. In my area, the west side tends to be poorer and less developed than the rest of the city and it's also the smallest of our city quadrants. So, for us, having "only" one vegan coffee shop and bakery would not be that surprising. Maybe you could give a mileage description of how far away the next closest vegan bakery is to help emphasize your point?

Your supporting info pretty much describes your supporting photo (which I guess people with screenreaders may appreciate, but I'm guessing people with screenreaders do not make up a good portion of wayfarer reviewers). Instead, utilize the space to emphasize why you are submitting this as a hidden gem/local hotspot. Has this place been listed in any publications? Received any awards? You could put the distance information here instead of the description if you want. I think it's actually pretty cool and unique that Rise and Squibb is actually a coop between two businesses - maybe you could talk about that a bit.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

I think non-chain businesses like this should be eligible, especially if its sonebthing unusual and a good place to meet people in your local area, but business are typically really hard to get accepted in most areas.

You might be best off not upgrading this one (if you can stand to wait that long for an answer) because then it will go to more local reviewers who might have heard of it, or recognise it as somewhere special. Upgraded submissions go to such a wide audience that you'll find a lot of big city reviewers look at it and don't see anything special because they have 5 just like it within 2 miles.

I definitely agree on extending the description and supporting information, talk about what makes this place different.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got that one and I rejected it as a generic business. I couldn't google up anything showing me that this is special to locals, and you didn't give me anything in the supporting information to sell me.

A business is very hard to get through voting unless it is famous enough to have made a must-see tourist guide. If they have unique artwork or information plaques inside, submit that instead.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generic business every day of the week.