I thought this was a valid submission

The fire company donated their old timey coke dispenser to our local park a few years ago and they keep it on display. It hasn’t moved in 5 years. This got rejected for “being a seasonal display” and “not meeting criteria”. Is this just not a worthy submission? If so, why not?

Comments

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because it's old doesn't mean it is historical. And just because it was donated doesn't mean it is culturally significant either.

• RGood-PGORGood-PGO Posts: 24 ✭✭

It’s historically significant because it belonged to the firehouse and has been in the community for almost 60 years.

WheelTrekker, that is helpful feedback. That’s something I can actually work with. I appreciate it.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your only claim of it being historic is nothing more than it was at a certian location for a long time, then its not going to be approved.

Eh, I would argue that, since they don’t make them anymore, and this particular one was home to the community firehouse for so long, it holds community value. My town doesn’t have much, so things like that are important to the town haha.

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I definitely agree with the sentiment of "old does not mean historic " but in this case I think it's really unique and interesting. I agree with the comment above about including it in the support photo (you almost always should do this) and explain in support how long it has been there already.

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

And wanted to add, maybe don't call it historic unless your town declared it as such. I'd probably go with "vintage".

Thanks for the feedback! This is helpful and I will be sure to implement your tips

• TorvoTeratos-PGOTorvoTeratos-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

I think with historic objects like this, it's usually best if you can prove (even if it seems obvious) that they're out of production. This is doesn't seem super likely, but maybe Coca-cola or some niche 'vending machine history' site says when vending machines of this style went out of production? That helps to show this object has historical interest (it's no longer being made, so this is one way to actually see this kind of machine) and isn't just old.

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd also remove whatever is on the ground next to it. It looks like trash and makes the machine itself look less like an antique (maybe that's a work you can use) and more like something destined for the dump.

You might continue to have a problem with the temporary issue, since it isn't really the sort of place you'd expect to find something like that.

I think it's neat by the way.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to echo the "old does not mean historic" criteria quote and the advice on approving the supporting info. leave out reference to any one of the niantic games. include a link (if you can find one) to an article on preserving the coke dispenser as an historical item. links are permitted there. a feature about it being a local attraction, a facebook page for the dispenser, a news story about moving it there, a listing of it on the park page - if lupfer's grove is a park. you should mention that, too, although it might be obvious on google maps.

to improve the description, i suggest you leave out any references to it being non-working. Something like "antique coke dispenser on display at lupfer's grove park, donated by the shermansdale fire company"

to improve the photos i agree with the previous suggestions - pick up what looks like trash on the ground in the nomination photo and take the supporting photo from further back but with the dispenser in the photo to confirm where this exists on the map. this could have been rejected if the reviewers just couldn't figure out where this was located with the generic reason given in the email.

good luck if you resubmit. it's not a sure thing, but is worth another try - especially if you can include proof of its importance to the town.