Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Cemetery and "main cemetry cross"

Does Niantic's rules consider this "main cross" on the cemetery as valid?

As from my point of view, almost nothing on the cemetery should be valid. As cemetery is not a place for playing any games, but grieving.

I do understand there are exceptions like "very famous people"

Best Answers

Answers

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Some things in a cemetery may be eligible- graves of historic persons or famous people are the main ones. Basically, graves where people are expected to visit. I've personally had many historic graves approved in historic cemeteries. There are also frequently things like war monuments in cemeteries which are eligible.

But just a plain cross or artistic/unique gravestone are not eligible.

• Fronsac-INGFronsac-ING Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

It's valid, usually it's part of a of memorial but even alone if it's the only one it can be consider as a monument.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I'd like to start with some context.

In Central and Eastern Europe, especially in (but not limited to) Catholic regions, cemeteries usually have a main "central" cross. These are not memorials to a certain individual or event, but rather religious monuments or symbols, not unlike crosses, chapels and saint statues placed beside roads at the border of the settlement or at bridges/crossroads. They're usually maintained by the church or municipality itself (as opposed to graves and memorials, which are usually maintained by families).

I have, as part of my job, surveyed the objects with unique cultural/community importance of several smaller settlements in Hungary and these "main crosses" (which often date back to the early 19th century) are always included in such surveys. I consider these just as eligible as chapels or war memorials.

• SimonMaddison-INGSimonMaddison-ING Posts: 27 ✭✭

I still prefer that nothing on cemetery should be valid - cemetery is not an playground... I do not like even those few rare valid exceptions...

aaand, now I am back to the confusion I was before, since 2 people says invalid -as this is not an rare exception and 2 people says valid - as this is rare exception :)

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

I agree, cemeteries are not a playground and I apreciated the deletion of over 200 POIs from the big cemetery of my city. Sadly, those deleted POIs are getting submitted again. I never played there and will never go on cemeteries because of any videogame.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

so glad others share my sentiment about NO wayspots in cemeteries - "not a playground" is the perfect way to put that. such disrespect to the bereaved.

technically, i do believe this is an eligible wayspot per the current criteria. it is art, looks historical though i can't read the text, would be a local landmark, isn't anything specifically mentioned as not eligible in help, and is definitely not mass produced. but any cemetery nomination i approve has to be a perfect nomination. this one i would reject for low quality photo.

the only things i think should be eligible in game are the 1000% tourist attractions, like the Elvis example in help. every time i reject a nomination in a cemetery, i add the comment that i wish niantic would ban all cemetery nomintions.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

It can vary greatly. Not all cemeteries are the same. Where I grew up, you simply wouldn't go to a cemetery outside of a service. Where I live, now, several of the cemeteries are under the city parks department and have several general park amenities including gazebos, monuments, and education nature signs about prairie grasses.

The lack of and conflicting guidance offered by Niantic has been discussed at great lengths here and even had conflicting statements made by Casey themself.

Might be worth forcing it into an AMA, but even those aren't always given clear answers.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think it's eligible POI and still feel the need to reject it for an arbituary reason (it really isn't 1* low quality photo), instead skip it?

That's what I do when I can't because of personal opinion vote according to Niantic's criteria.

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to add an addendum to my very first comment- if that cross has some kind of cultural/historical value, it might make it through voting. Someone on the thread mentioned some additional context about them in certain areas. I was not aware of the context previously. At first glance it looked like a basic gravestone.