Survey markers

Would like to hear from fellow wayfarers about their favourite survey marker moment, for example like a time when you and your mates all got round the marker and played hacky sack; or perhaps it was a romantic picnic with your partner, gazing into each other's eyes over the marker...ah good times.

Comments

• donandlan-PGOdonandlan-PGO Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

We've got a park in my city this is essentially centered on a USGS marker:

https://intel.ingress.com/?ll=41.91467842610681,-88.3092767641084&z=19

• Snowroo-PGOSnowroo-PGO Posts: 10 ✭✭

@donandlan-PGO Why isn't the park the way spot and not the survey marker? Seems more relevent.

@MoffatMagicarp-PGO I remember the good old days of heading down to my local survey marker to play ball and ride bikes with my friends. Ours is located on the curb right next to a major road. little Johnny got hit by a car once but I'm sure it's still a safe place to play.

Also, obviously kidding. I only ever noticed them after joining Niantic Wayfarer. Most are not interesting or relevent. The number should be at least capped in any given area. If we fill the space with survey markers then Niantic will prevent better more relevent pokie stops from being accepted due to density issues.

• KetaSkooter-INGKetaSkooter-ING Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

This one time 6 friends and I hiked a mountain. We reached the top, it was only a 2,000 ft climb and a 5 mile round trip. We hung out at the summit and ate lunch and enjoyed the scenery. There is a survey marker at the summit. Fun times.

Another time my wife, kid, two dogs and I made a 5 mile trek to a rock outcropping into an inlet. We camped overnight and had a campfire and basked in the sun. There is a survey marker at this location looking over the inlet.

• Snowroo-PGOSnowroo-PGO Posts: 10 ✭✭

@KetaSkooter-ING the problem is survey markers within Sydney Australia can be within 500m of each other. How is that good for game play. It’s embarrassing.

you maze well make way points for street signs and gutter drains.

survey markers in remote locations or interesting places with no other identifying man made marker should be eligible.

Though the tiny little plates in concrete all over suburban areas defeat the point of the game. It’s really only for people who want way points nearby so they don’t have to go anywhere to play the game.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,560 Ambassador

I actually enjoy survey markers, those nice ones with a unique identifier, although most of my area of expertise is in the US and relies on US resources like https://geodesy.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/ . In my Geocaching days, I visited many of these via https://www.geocaching.com/mark/ . It's a specialized interest, sure, but GIS nerds do exist.

Survey markers without unique identifiers, used by some utility company or something, where I can't verify coordinate location in a database - nope, no interest in those. Too generic and easily cloned for fakes.