Feels so useless marking abusive edits for abuse

HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are so many garbage edit reviews in Sydney that never should have surfaced in the first place, which makes me wonder about your banned words list.

And my two MOST FAVOURITE dumb as clearly abusive edits that I get very often:

Considering that I have seen these over and over again, and have reported them for abuse each time using the link at the bottom, they continually resurface and people keep on getting them and posting them in our coal channel. Are you really not doing anything to what we mark as abuse?

Please eliminate these abusive edits and the troublemakers (who are mostly immature children or spoofers given there are so many foreign language edits around as well) for good so they can stop appearing in Wayfarer.

Tagged:

Comments

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,560 Ambassador

I can understand the frustration, and really wish we'd get a response email to our abuse reports like the live responses that are seen for reports in this forum. Not all of us wish to expose our reporting actions in that manner, and our wish for privacy should be respected. I'd like at least a generic "we saw your abuse report and are reviewing internally" sort of response whenever we use the inline Report Abuse form.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is how I think I feel like I'm being treated with a lack of responses to this sort of abuse.

Literally someone was able to put a description and the most expletive of swear words was NOT censored?!

• BleedBoss-PGOBleedBoss-PGO Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

A feature Niantic implemented that annoys honest reviewers/submitters yet does diddly squat for abusers? *Pretends to be shocked*

All jokes aside, it's quite clear this level of abuse shouldn't be happening, but as i stated before @HaramDingo-ING, if there is no one to enforce action on these abusers, they won't go away. And we all know how troublesome and tiresome that would be for Niantic. I'm not even too sure if they have the funds to invest in this sort of thing, being a small indie company /s.

• Thanks for reporting, @HaramDingo-ING! We have reviewed the report and have taken action on 7 Wayfinders in accordance with our policies. While we are unable to discuss our actions in detail to protect the submitter’s privacy, they may include, but are not limited to, sending a warning message, placing restrictions on their Wayfarer, Pokémon GO, or Ingress account, putting their account on probation, or placing a temporary or permanent suspension on their Wayfarer, Pokémon GO or Ingress account.

Thanks for helping us maintain the quality of the Wayspots.

• aleprj-INGaleprj-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticGiffard so we should start posting all these abusive edits here on the forums so that you guys can start reviewing them?

I refuse to do this, by the way. We need to stop reinforcing public posts as a process, and get some sort of response to our inline Abuse reports done using the link in reviews. Niantic's well-intentioned enabling does not help clarify the procedure.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do this in bulk. It condenses much of the abuse into a limited amount of posts and comments, so it doesn't feel like I'm spamming (although in recent times, it does feel like it's mainly my posts around).

I only really make use of these public posts because there is a feedback loop that means action is being taken, and I am more trusting in the system when there is a response and that something is done.

It's very hard to trust in the system when previously, the abuse form and reporting it in-app within Wayfarer were used to report this abusive edit but it was only until a public post that action was immediately taken and just days later, I got the photo edit again and the description was fixed.

So I continue this method.

I don't fault anyone who does use this method, really. It gets results. For myself, personally, is where it does not make sense: I feel unsafe making public reports that could put a target on my back. Been there, done that, and really I'm too old and fragile to withstand the retaliatory attacks. I do think that Niantic is encouraging these public reports by validating them with feedback, while those of us that choose to report anonymously see no results from our efforts. Most of my review sessions include at least one edit abuse submission, using the same syntax, asking for the same cell-related changes, from the same general geographic area. I can only assume that my reports go to /dev/null.

It's a safety issue. Niantic should respond to these reports by guiding people towards the inline reporting process. Those who choose to remain anonymous should have the same feedback that's given to public posters currently. I fail to understand why staffers set themselves up for more work by responding to forum posts when they could be working on the reports that come in from review.

@NianticGiffard I do appreciate all the work you do and the responses you make here on the forum....but what about the rest of us?

• I appreciate the follow-ups and understand the sentiment involved. As we (Casey and me) had previously communicated, we are intending to streamline the abuse process in the future that includes the eradication of the usage of abuse form however this will take some time considering the changes are more complicated than it seems.

The thread I closed off recently had helped us to take action on multiple bad nominations and I appreciate the contributions from everyone for bringing them to our attention. For now, please follow the same process i.e. usage of abuse form and reporting through in-app support for not for public eyes cases and reporting through forums for others.

Also, like @HaramDingo-ING mentioned, reporting them in bulk is convenient for both parties (you and us as well) as it's easier to track them and take necessary actions. Thanks!

• SiIverLyra-PGOSiIverLyra-PGO Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback, Giffard. Seeing as the update to the report process proved to be more complicated than initially thought, is there any sort of deadline - even a vague one - for when we may see this change?

• I won't be able to give an estimated date currently but will let you folks know if we are near to it as we are aware of a few other burning matters in the Wayfarer and working towards them simultaneously. Thanks for your understanding.

• SiIverLyra-PGOSiIverLyra-PGO Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I share the sentiment, unfortunately.

An automatic response whenever a report is received by the team feels like the least we should get.