Comments

• aleprj-INGaleprj-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rewiring the onboarding flow: Newly eligible Explorers will soon be required to learn the Wayfarer criteria before being allowed to submit contributions as well as review them.

Nomination Management: Big improvements are coming to the nomination management experience including (drum roll…) the ability to appeal rejections! Stay tuned for more details as we’re still working them out.

Finally. Two amazing news.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Only 50% agree. Africa has a very low number of submitters. It will be very hard to get enough submissions for a challenge.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why I think the review radius should be increased to include most of the continent. This could kickstart Niantic games in Africa.

• Maxyme99-PGOMaxyme99-PGO Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like most of the news that we got, I hope they will be added this year, and won't be just a future plan forever.

Seeing all nominations while nominating in PoGO is definetly good idea, as it should help a lot with decreasing the amount of unhappy people that got duplicate on POI that they didn't see in game. Test for submitters is definetly good idea too, the improvement of reviewing system sounds amazing!

But some of these news don't sound so amazing, at least until we will get more information about them, for example:

• Changes and improvements of forum - I hope it really be some nice addons and not only getting dark mode (or worse, replacing current look with dark mode and leave us with no choice of how we want to see forum, that would be really bad idea).
    • The ability to appeal rejections - sounds good, and that's what many people wanted, but I hope it won't be another thing that will be dropped on reviewers to review (and clog the system more). Niantic workers should take part with reviewing these appeals - or just do this work alone, so reviewers won't take part in it, maybe like in Invalid Wayspot part of forum? IDK, but definetly it shouldn't be dropped just for reviewers to review. I hope we will get some more information on it, as it will be amazing improvement, if it will be done correctly.

I agree with it. I would love to help getting more POI in Africa too, but with how current location setting allow to review only small area near your chosen location, it might be impossible to review many POI in Africa. If Niantic would allow getting POIs from much larger area for chalenges - maybe adding second bonus location just for challenges that would prioritise giving you nominations from a whole country you chosen to help in challenge (and maybe some area near border of this country) it would be much easier to help reviewing many POIs. I hope there is idea to give more area to reviwe during these chalenges and we will hear something more about it.

• Stephyypooke-INGStephyypooke-ING Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am excited to see official communication on improvements and I look forward to seeing most of these implemented sooner than later!

It does sound like Africa would be a great option for an upcoming challenge, maybe just a 1 day or weekend thing if there aren’t enough submissions?

• ApplPsydarr-PGOApplPsydarr-PGO Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    • New features: We’re innovating the contribution experience in-game, including the ability to see what Wayspots have already been approved during the Wayspot nomination process in Pokémon GO. 

I would still like the ability to also see what noms have been submitted and are still in queue or in voting. When it takes a year or two for noms to go through that leaves it open to something being nominated multiple times and that just wastes noms and adds noms to the backlog that don't need to be there.

• SiIverLyra-PGOSiIverLyra-PGO Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

In theory, this update is very exciting. But considering past experience with Roadmap updates, my general feeling can be encapsulated using the press X to doubt meme.

Largely because no date was given for any of the changes - not even a vague "X quarter of 202X". (Not that that would've meant a lot - looking at you, promised revamp to the abuse report system - but it'd have been something.)

Speaking of which - like Gendgi said above, I was really discouraged to see no mention of the better abuse report system, despite it being promised for many, many weeks now.

But other than that...

• RE: Support materials - as mentioned before, the previous "how to submit a nomination" infographic was deeply flawed. I'm hoping that future educational material will learn from that past mistake.
    • RE: Team expansion - this is actually something I'm very happy to see. I've always had a very strong feeling that the Wayfarer team is severely understaffed (and generally under-resourced). I really hope Niantic is starting to invest more in this product, and taking it more seriously in general.
    • "...the ability to see what Wayspots have already been approved during the Wayspot nomination process in Pokémon GO" - absolutely fantastic, thank you.
    • "Rewiring the onboarding flow: Newly eligible Explorers will soon be required to learn the Wayfarer criteria before being allowed to submit contributions as well as review them." - sounds promising, interested to see how exactly that'll be implemented.
    • "Nomination Management: Big improvements are coming to the nomination management experience" - nice! - "including (drum roll…) the ability to appeal rejections!" - ...ah. Obviously, the concept itself is extremely exciting. But I'm worried about how exactly any rejection appeal process would manage to be operational at all... we shall see.
    • "Reviewers: A new product design for the reviewer’s experience" - that's extremely vague, NIA. Any kind of additional information on that would be welcome.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Believe it or not, we are a pretty small team within Niantic"

*surprised pikachu face"

Thank you @AnsonNIA-PGO for your information.

Yes, 55% believe that you need to fix the system.

Yes, now we can safely say that not only your humble servants KNOW that the system is broken, YOU seem to be in the know, too.

Sadly your "What’s in store for the next few months" does not list a single thing that would FIX THE SYSTEM.

There are several things in the "wiring on the floor" that are broken and need to be replaced NOW.

• The S2-Lvl 9 Cells that are already filled up to the burst with wayspots in ONE corner still do not get A SINGLE wayspot in the other empty three corners. There is NO wayspot there that will move out on its own into acceptance/rejection
    • The System still is not first IN first OUT. Our submissions from 2 years ago are still IN QUEUE!
    • in Central Europe there is a big BABEL problem with people that do not understand the language that is in the countries next to them. Still WE have to vote on everything. Even if we do not understand it or the cultural value.

Thank you, maybe it was a bit of a rant this time, but sometimes that is needed.

• SabiaPardona-PGOSabiaPardona-PGO Posts: 10 ✭✭

I hope the next event will be in Brazil, far from the big urban centers and laterally a desert in many regions, especially the northern region of the country. I hope Niantic will redesign the quiz to become a rater, unfortunately it is possible to find the correct answers even within YouTube. Another change I would like to see is the possibility to change the location within the Wayfarer to fix it before it goes into a vote. And greater transparency in results.

• Eneeoh-PGOEneeoh-PGO Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭

What should have been done in the last six-twelve months?

A thirty minute animated cartoon series about Wayfarer: learning to review, finding spots, nominating them, dealing with disappointments, fakes and troublemakers, earning agreements.

A Stand-alone Wayfarer app.

Rejigging of the entire motivation/rewards/punishment system.

Streamlining and clarification of the various reporting and appeals processes to bolster confidence and increase transparency.

Niantic should not remain mute, nor should they reply to distressed Wayfarers perceptions with “That random punishment, time-delay, or resource denial was simply our system working as intended!”

• Davejjjjj-INGDavejjjjj-ING Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

A shiny post to distract from their Russia challenge rewards deception.

Let's see if they actually learn and do any of this, or is it just more talk from Niantic.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Believe it or not, we are a pretty small team within Niantic

I literally laughed out loud when I read this. First time during my stay on this forum. The expansion of team staff is the biggest news for the future IMO.

Some other nice promises, but I'm nowadays in a state of "I believe it, when I see it". Sorry.

• sophielab-INGsophielab-ING Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

Appeals:

Are people interested in an appeal in the version of a button that would send the same nomination through the system again but to different reviewers(prior reviewers wouldn't be able to see it) and cost an upgrade? These would be most useful in borderline submissions that a resubmission usually works.

Or Are people interested in Niantic review if it cost multiple upgrades(yes multiple upgrades considering the garbage that people rage about not being accepted)? This would be most useful in situations where it needed supporting documentation.

I don't know what people generally have that they really want to appeal. Borderline or complex stuff.

• BleedBoss-PGOBleedBoss-PGO Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Small indie company raking in Billions. This is the perfect example on how even the most understaffed team can make heavy sums of cash, if you just latch onto an iconic name (PoGo in this case) and straight up ignore issues that could take forever to be resolved.

I don't even know why they'd consider us not believing their team is small. You don't pay Yatches and wine if you're paying employees 😂😂😂

• TWVer-INGTWVer-ING Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not interested in appeals that are handled by the community. If I make an appeal, I want effort to be put into the review. And I have zero faith in the community to do that. If an appeal can't be expected to be handled with high quality, it is not worth it.

It's not even about borderline or complex stuff. Let's handle the obvious candidates that keep getting rejected first. Borderline and complex stuff can come in a later phase.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,483 Ambassador

I am happy to earn a review rejection challenge to be done by Niantic.

If these could be earned separately from upgrades it would be great. So either via reviews or via having a submissions agreed. Other than the satisfaction of putting something in the game ( which is pretty awesome) I don’t currently get any recognition for having made successful nominations. By having some successful ones it should show that you don’t normally submit trash and so consideration of a reject is likely to not be a waste of effort.

• sophielab-INGsophielab-ING Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

Ok but what are people actually thinking about appealing? "Obvious candidates" is highly subjective.

And it appears people are willing to review but don't want to spend more than one upgrade and are demanding it back if successful (occasionally demanding the all reviewers that rejected initially be punished in some way). Or want the reviews for appeals to be separate from upgrades.

• ElizionK-PGOElizionK-PGO Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

And yet no mention of a way to resolve nominations that have been in the system a year or more. Why isn’t this a top priority?

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,483 Ambassador

If an appeal is successful I don’t want to punish those that got it wrong straight off but to educate them very specifically as to what was wrong.

I would like them to have a mark against their name and if they repeatedly are found to reject when it turns out to be acceptable to get a cooldown etc. Especially if having been issued with a warning they continue to get it wrong.

there are all sorts of B and C candidates, that might be accepted if the reviewers would review after a guidebook (that does not exist). I think appealing these would be a great idea instead of re-re-submitting.