Wayfarer submission claims to be kidnapped 12 year old

GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

On reddit, someone posted a nomination where the submitter claimed to be a 12 year old kidnapping victim.

@NianticGiffard @NianticVK @AnsonNIA-PGO

If any Niantic team members are online, this may be worth looking into just in case. Hopefully it's just a prank in horrible taste.

Tagged:

Comments

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I commented on that thread it is SUPER concerning. Most likely fake but I hope the police have been notified. Either someone needs help or they need to be taught a harsh lesson.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they want to swat the home of somebody else?

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Images from the reddit post, in case they are deleted:

• zebromussel-INGzebromussel-ING Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

It makes me wonder if there is any prescreening of nominations before they hit voting. If this was real, imagine the lawsuit and potential legal trouble niantic would incur.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

I mean, why using Niantic wayfarer instead of a mail/social media account in such a situation. I mean.... with the priority you have it takes at least a year until someone sees it (okay, maybe less, depending on the priority.) This must be a prank or something. At least my first thought would be to do something else. I have no clue about this, but which kidnapper would be that stupid to leave the kidnapped person's phone on it. Sorry, but there are too many points against this.

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah thats my impression, but this person needs to have their submission rights revoked, and they need to be taught a lesson and have cops show up at their house. Because if it is real they need help, and if not they need to be taught that lesson. Its almost as bad as swatting its not funny and its not acceptable.

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering, in the event this is a legitimate kidnapping, why they would use a nomination to get the word out?

Surely if they have access to nominations in game, which has the map feature, that they would be able to open up a map app (such Google Maps or whatever the iPhone version is), and post to social media their location? Also, why wouldn't the (alleged) kidnappers have taken the device away from the (alleged) victim?

It makes no sense to **** someone and leave them with their phone, when they could call someone. Given how many phones have GPS capabilities now as well, surely police would be able to track it down easy enough as well.

• BleedBoss-PGOBleedBoss-PGO Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

While i fully agree with you on everything you wrote, i bet you Niantic will write this off as another "oops must have not seen it" thread, or in the offchance they do see it, they will apply the same measures as they have to all other abusers: A slap on the wrist, and a 10 bucks Starbucks gift card.

• Dazzz123456-PGODazzz123456-PGO Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Really you thought this could be real?

Really????

If the person has a phone in their hand and allowed to use it to play games and they was a kid nap victim wouldnt they just call the police or email or text or you know something that will actually get them rescued. I'm waiting 8 months for things to go into voting. There are other faster ways to get rescued instead a nomination from the worlds worst game company.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come to think about it, if a nomination enters in-voting status at least 3 days after it was nominated (assuming upgrade is used), won't it being faster if that kid text the police instead? Let's assume that he/she couldn't call anyone or else the kidnapper might overhear him/her.

Besides, we didn't know the entire situation, including when this nomination was submitted (or when he/she called for help), and if the kid know 911 exist.