Why do you guys rate so harshly?

EdeImarzipan-PGOEdeImarzipan-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Criteria Clarifications

especially in rural areas. A bench or the local restaurant might be the highlight of the village where more cows live than people. therefore those really can be a place to explore and to be social.

Comments

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Welcome to Germany, the place where 6* nominations are getting rejected.

• theHarryPutter-PGOtheHarryPutter-PGO Posts: 94 ✭✭

To be honest I don’t know the whole back story to Wayfaryer but from what I know, the system seems to be in favor of rejections when voting, so people could go on a 1 star spree and sometimes come out good. I also personally think that anything that isn’t mass produced or not permanent should be accepted given that it won’t cause a lawsuit (aka residential property), but of course I don’t decide the rules and I believe there are plenty of reasons why we got to this very strict criteria.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

i had too may good candidates rejected in the last week, and i think it is not bad reviewers, it is rather reviewers that are unsatisfied with the outcome of their submissions.

I think when we can start appeal rejections Niantic will have to talk to some of those reviewers.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

What sort of benches and restaurants are you referring to? Would be good to know. Many restaurants can be eligible, but to clear the local Burger King, KFC or McDonald's won't be.

Benches can be eligible too, but it depends on the bench. Is it a particularly artistic bench? Does the bench commemorate a pillar of the village community? A bench could easily have nothing noteworthy about it. I've had benches accepted myself, without any problems, so we would have to see what sort of bench(es) you are nominating.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

one of thing main problems with benches is: They are easily movable, which is a problem.

If there are Benches that are not removable, i think they could be a great wayspot if it would be a nice place.

Otherwise it is just a bench.

• Eneeoh-PGOEneeoh-PGO Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a good question that has some good and not so good possible answers.

Many new submitters are entirely unaware of Wayfarer, and haven’t looked at Niantic’s requirements. In consequence, there’s a whole lot of coal in the pipeline that fails to meet any acceptance criterion. Then there’s more that’s simply IN the rejection criteria.

You can begin reviewing with your heart full of kindness and try to gloss over the inconsistencies and problems, only to realize the nomination has little or no merit.

It is quicker and easier to scan for obvious rejection criteria, directly challenge the fulfillment of acceptance criteria, and move on.

Before he knows it, a reviewer has hold of a collection of memes, so rather than feeling the nominator is “somebody just like me” so that it hurts a bit to one-star reject, he sees a greedy scammer who will clog the pipeline with dozens more just like this if we don’t shut them down immediately.

The memes make it easier to get agreements, but they seem to spin out of control very easily.

This system makes it dangerously easy to accept on the basis of a few simple tropes and blanket-reject almost everything else that doesn’t somehow feel super extraordinary.

• EdeImarzipan-PGOEdeImarzipan-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭

so far i rejected everything thats nothing special and restaurant chains but i read the acceptance criterea again and im allowed to lower my standards if there are not many poi's in the area. Kinda makes sence to me. Mcdonalds in a village is 100 times more special than in a city. If a bench looks kinda heavy and is in the middle of nowhere i might consider it.

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything necessarily can be temporary. It just depends. Your local reviewers may be the clowns @EdeImarzipan-PGO, if it doesn’t work with your local reviewers try using an upgrade & see what happens. You can also post your nomination here if you want & ask for help. I truly respect anyone who does & will not judge no matter what you’re trying to submit

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think we rate harshly, we just folllow the criteria Niantic provide. If they say things like "a mural on the wall of a private house in not eligible" then we have to vote accordingly.

• EdeImarzipan-PGOEdeImarzipan-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭

Ofcourse that is a clear rule. The point is the grey areas like businesses. https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/criteria#guidelines the point "local businesses" states the reviewer should consider a small town

• fungasman-PGOfungasman-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭

In rual areas (which i live in), A resteraunt that is not a chain and has a decent descrtiption other than 'JOES CAFE - great food' get thru quite often because they have nice art work and murals in and around them to nominate rather than the business itself... a 'Dutch brothers windmill' dont cut it

• DukeOfBellaire-PGODukeOfBellaire-PGO Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I may be one of those "harsh" reviewers in urban areas verifying legitimate, accurate locations and photo quality. But I give a lot of leeway in rural areas to even accept rural memorial park benches although we are not supposed to. However, don't lie or say something like "We don't have any Pokestops for 10 miles". It's a turn off when I look at rural area map and see other potential POI such as a rural church or post office nearby.

Honestly, rural areas are tough with a vast acreage of farm lands or deserts.