Who actually is it that reviews the “upgrade next” in Wayfarer?

TennRaider-PGOTennRaider-PGO Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited August 2021 in General Discussion

I really appreciate the “Upgrade Next” reward in Wayfarer as a perk for prolific reviewers. Honestly it’s about the only way I get a verdict on most of my nominations.

Still, I have wondered who actually reviews these “upgraded” submissions? Many of them never even make it into the voting phase before being officially accepted or rejected, so clearly the decision isn’t (at least always) a consensus of the general Wayfarer community. How does that work?

Is there a benefit to withdrawal nominations that have sat idle for months and then resubmit them as fresh nominations to the “Upgrade Next” gods, or should I just throw in my aged nominations into the “Upgrade Next” pool?

I’ve also noticed that when one of my upgraded nomination is rejected, often one of my old nominations is suddenly accepted in the next few days. Is this really just a cosmic coincidence or is it a thoughtful conciliation prize?

Comments

• ftzzghzuhdidu-INGftzzghzuhdidu-ING Posts: 391 ✭✭✭

Upgrades take your nomination and present it to a wider range of reviewers. The range is so wide that it apparently gets resolved in just a few days. Alternatively: upgraded nominations need a lot less yes/no reviews to come to a conclusion. In the end it should be normal reviewers who see the upgraded stuff.

• Maxyme99-PGOMaxyme99-PGO Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with what ftzzghzuhdidu-ING mentioned, I just add something: if your nominations are really local things (that might not be known as common things in other area) it might be better to not upgrade them, as they might get rejected much easier (because people from far away might get them to review - even from other countries if you live close to border).

The best thing to do is to upgrade safe nominations that are common in all locations (like playgrounds, sports fields, monuments, crosses, churches, other religious buildings, murals etc.) - they will have less chance of getting rejected after upgrading them. I know it shouldn't be like that, but it's the best we can to have better chance for our nominations to get accepted. Good lucj with your nominations :)

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of my candidates are upgraded because I have way more upgrades than I will ever submit.

It seems like my upgraded candidates are only in voting for a few hours before they're accepted. (It's been well over a year since I've had something rejected, and that was because I did a crappy job of the submission.)

• TennRaider-PGOTennRaider-PGO Posts: 7 ✭✭

I find Hosette-ING’s experience very interesting as it seems to conflict completely with my own. My upgraded nominations have a 50-50 chance of making the grade and are routinely rejected with the useless “Other Rejection Criteria” moniker. This is despite the fact that I have studied the acceptance criteria in great detail as a reviewer and try to submit only good quality candidates. I wonder if there are more regional or cultural differences than we realize.

Whatever may be the case, has anyone else noticed that rejected nominations are often followed by an accepted nomination that has sat idle for months? Actually I find this policy quite enlightened as it makes me feel my upgrade was not wasted. Still, it implies someone in a position of authority is taking a personal interest in my nominations, upgraded or not. Honestly that possibility seems a little conceded and egotistical. Or is this something everyone experiences?