Plz EXPLAIN: Suspension without doing anything in wayfarer

@NianticAaron or anyone else, you have to explain something. Hope this is the right place to post it.

Today I got an email with 60 days suspension but I haven‘t done anything here in wayfarer for almost a year.

Lets start at the beginning.

2020 I did something wrong, that is right. I did a few invalid wayspot nominations. They all have been deleted. I apologize for that and learned to never do things like that again.

At this time I got what I deserve, a 30 days suspension. Got the mail for that at November 12th, 2020.

After that, I had to to the quiz again, so I did and was succesful (that email came at December 12th, 2020.

After that, I haven‘t done anything here in wayfarer. I haven‘t upload any new wayspots. No more old wayspots have been deleted and there waa no wayspot up for voting.

All I did after that was taking part of the russian wayfarer challenge.

So, now you have to explain why I got a 60 day suspension today without doing anything after the first suspension last year?

This must be a 1000% mistake from your side and hast to be explained and the suspension has to be deleted immidiately from my account. Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you submitted location edits? Especially ones that benefitted one game (like creating a gym in pogo)?

Have you submitted name or description edits?

Reported wayspots as invalid?

Have you submitted or reviewed using someone else's sign-on?

Do you use a third-party app?

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

No clue, but I have read somewhere that there may be no time limit on things. So if you did something "wrong" 1-2 years ago even, but it only just now was flagged, or approved, or whatever in the wayfarer system then it'll hit you now.

Don't quote me, just speculation.

• Babarushki-PGOBabarushki-PGO Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

@MargariteDVille-ING You are right on target. I will post my own story about a recent 30-day ban (just ended 3 days ago).

I did NOT know that, in my sincere efforts to improve the game and experience, my actions would be judged as violations of the game and its rules.

My message:

1) Don’t submit location edits. I “fixed” 3 locations that were in the middle of the street or In a parking lot instead of at the site itself

2) Don’t submit “invalid wayspot” edits, such as those no longer existing or in violation otherwise. I submitted two of these—one “park entrance” was the gate to a neighbor’s back yard, and one sign was taken down 3 or so years ago. Of course, Niantic’s “thorough investigation” proved me wrong.

3) Don’t submit name changes. Even if a large arena gets a new sponsor (a year ago, Taco Bell Arena became ExtraMile Arena), don’t submit it because, you are wrong. Even though my photo with the correct name was accepted and is now the main photo for the wayspot, No’s thorough-as-always investigation showed that I was i correct

No one from N would speak with me about this because their investigation was oh-so-thorough.

I am no kid looking for an easy, close wayspot. I’m a 60-year-old university professor with kids and students who also play the game. All recommended changes were in the spirit of improvement.

Way to extinguish motivation to review for ya, N.

I discourage anyone from trying to submit revisions. It’ll land you in N-jail for a month. You’ll never feel that excitement about improving the game again. Truly a pity. Employee training is definitely in order, or perhaps a realignment of corporate values.

@MargariteDVille-ING You are right on target. I will post my own story about a recent 30-day ban (just ended 3 days ago). 

I did NOT know that, in my sincere efforts to improve the game and experience, my actions would be judged as violations of the game and its rules. 

My message to all here:

1) Don’t submit location edits. I “fixed” 3 locations that were in the middle of the street or In a parking lot instead of at the site itself. However, the crack investigative N team thousands of miles away knows better than a local does

2) Don’t submit “invalid wayspot” edits, such as those no longer existing or in violation otherwise.  I submitted two of these—one “park entrance” was the gate to a neighbor’s back yard, and one sign was taken down 3 or so years ago. Of course, Niantic’s “thorough investigation” proved me wrong.  

3) Don’t submit name changes.  Even if a large arena gets a new sponsor (a year ago, Taco Bell Arena became ExtraMile Arena, complete with humongous new arena signs), don’t submit it because, you are wrong.  Even though my photo with the correct name was accepted and is now the main photo for the wayspot, N’s thorough-as-always investigation showed that I was incorrect  

No one from N would speak with me about this because their investigation was oh-so-thorough. And yeah, they just don’t do that. Talk with customers.

I am no kid looking for an easy, close wayspot. I’m a 60-year-old university professor with kids and students who also play the game. All recommended changes were in the spirit of improvement. 

Way to extinguish motivation to review for ya, N. 

I discourage anyone from trying to submit revisions. It’ll land you in N-jail for a month.  Truly a pity. Employee training is definitely in order, or perhaps a realignment of corporate values, if N still has any of those besides profit.  

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if you try to follow the rules and suggest the changes to improve the game for everyone, there are people willing to report as abuse anything that they don't like, so surely the best course of action is the one that you suggest: stay away from the mess.

Check the latest example: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/21613/the-applicant-who-started-numbering-them-as-he-liked-yamagata-city

• xrs2000i-PGOxrs2000i-PGO Posts: 25 ✭✭

I can answer all your questions with NO.

After my suspension last year I totaly stopped any actions at wayfarer. The only 2 things I did after the suspension was, doing the quiz again (I had to do that after the suspension) and at the russian wayfarer challenge I voted for some wayspots and that‘s it.

Niantic just doesn‘t know what they are doing with their NOT WORKING detection systems. A few weeks ago a lot of Pokemon Go Players have been banned without doing anything wrong. It took almost a week for Niantic to figure out that it was their fault and now the same things start to happen here at wayfarer.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have done all of these and I've never gotten a suspension. I verí, very, very much doubt that doing what you've described would be considered abuse or violation by Niantic. Don't get me wrong, I fins it perfectly possible that Niantic made a wrong decision on appeals, but simply reporting and editing things will not "land you in N-jail". Besides, I don't see a single appeal posted in your post history, so I don't really see what you're talking about.

My “you’re banned for 30 days” email from N. Such total rubbish, about which a customer cannot refute. We’re not two-year-olds who need a stern, authoritarian parent who is always right.

• Eneeoh-PGOEneeoh-PGO Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is unfortunate, but we are not on a level playing field. If someone in authority believes you have acted improperly they can take any action they believe is appropriate, at any time.

They don’t have to give a warning before issuing your punishment, and they feel no need to explain themselves to you, and there is no appealing their decision.

You could be punished today for an action you took in good faith several years ago, because the authority made a new ruling last week.

For example: Niantic could have used two fields for the title of a wayspot, so users could supply suggestions without overwriting any official title Niantic approved of. They didn’t do that.

Wayfarers attempted to clean things up with regular titles, spelling, and punctuation. Some people began to add a town name to the beginning of each title.

If in recent times a manager learned that some players made title changes that turned more or less ‘official’ titles into… …less ‘official’ ones with the town name on the front or a number at the back, they could ban the players from Wayfarer or even their game(s).

They have never said why, but the example above is plausible due to the utter lack of transparency, education, or warning strikes Niantic is offering to this date.

If any of this speculation is not valid, I would appreciate greatly if an internal authority would enlighten us.

Today, another 5 wayfinders where punished due to the interpretation of one person of "abuse"

Again, the best advice is to stay away from Wayfarer. Don't nominate anything, don't try to fix anything, don't even review anything or you might face the anger of a reviewer with a point of view different than yours.

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats not quite fair

On that particular thread the Wayfinder thats raised the reports has done so to prevent mass produced, and in lots of instances unsafe, POIs from being in the system.

Niantic could have chosen to not do anything, but the fact that they have taken action does go to show that some of the POIs should never have been approved / submitted in the first place.

You can say that the Wayfinder had a different point of view to others, but it turns out that their point of view was the correct one because Niantic agreed with them instead of dismissing the claims and saying the POIs should remain.

The most sad thing about all of that is that Niantic doesn‘t reply here @NianticAtlas , also no reply to my email and also no reply at twitter.

Don‘t you wonder why so many of the biggest players in the world stopped spending money for pokemon go or even stopped playing totaly?

All you have to change is, take care of the players, listen to them and don‘t think that everything is the fault of the player and start rethinking about your system. Just remember the banned/warned players a few weeks ago at pokemon go where it took almost a week for Niantic to realise that it was their fault and not from the players.

Sorry if there are and mistakes in this text but english is not my main language, so I hope everything can be understood the way I wanted to explain.

• Hey @xrs2000i-PGO,

We have looked into your edit submissions again and can confirm that you have indeed violated our policies. We recommend you review the Nomination and Edits Criteria before submitting any more nominations.

Thanks,

then you haven‘t checked it correctly or haven‘t read my first post at the beginning. If not, please read it.

I did something wrong at 2020 and I got a suspension for that in November 2020. That was absolutely correct.

since that day, I haven‘t nominate any new wayspots or did anything else.

You just suspend me again for something I already got my punishment.

Hope you will understand this time what‘s the problem about.

I did something wrong, got my punishment for that, learned from that, haven‘t done anything since that day at wayfarer and now I got the second suspension for the same?

Please check very carefully again and remember the wrong punishment of the many pokemon players just weeks ago.

Here is a picture of the suspension email I got last year, perhaps this can help you finding the mistake. @NianticAaron

My last post is not showing up so I will repost it.

then you haven‘t checked it correctly or haven‘t read my first post at the beginning. If not, please read it.

I did something wrong at 2020 and I got a suspension for that in November 2020. That was absolutely correct.

since that day, I haven‘t nominate any new wayspots or did anything else.

You just suspend me again for something I already got my punishment.

Hope you will understand this time what‘s the problem about.

I did something wrong, got my punishment for that, learned from that, haven‘t done anything since that day at wayfarer and now I got the second suspension for the same?

Please check very carefully again and remember the wrong punishment of the many pokemon players just weeks ago.

Here is a picture of the suspension email I got last year, perhaps this can help you finding the mistake. @NianticAaron

Why the picture is not showing up?

The mail starts with this number

perhaps you need this number.

### Do not reply below this line ###StevenNovember 12, 2020, 07:23 +0000Hello Trainer,

We have confirmed that you have been submitting PokéStop candidates that do not meet our criteria. As a result of this violation, your Wayfarer account has been suspended for 30 days. 

We recommend you review the Nomination Criteria (https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/pokemon-go/?l=en&p=web&s=in-game-locations) before submitting any more nominations. Note that any further violations can lead to the suspension of your Wayfarer and Pokémon GO account.

Best regards,

@NianticAaron sorry for tagging and posting that many times bit this is really important for me.

• This information is not correct. I can confirm that there were violations after your previous punishment.

But this is NOT possible. I haven‘t done any wayspot nominations after the suspension. I didn‘t had any old nominations up for voting and no other wayspot got deleted. So how can I violate by doing nothing? I don‘t understand how that should be possible.

Still hope you will find the mistake.

I guess everyone can understand me, why I‘m so upset and disappointed about this situation.

I‘m 100% sure that you can see that all did after the suspension was, doing the quiz again to unlock my account and that there are NO NEW wayspot nominations from me.

@NianticAaron

@xRSGxSigi-PGO It seems that now they're talking about wayspot edits.

Did you send any kind of edit after the previous suspension?

• WikiBlue-INGWikiBlue-ING Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
  • Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or even before. Edits can take a long time and as they currently can't be followed like nominations, they're easier to lose track of.

The reporter in that thread didn't report them for safety issues, he repeats over and over again that he's reporting them because they are "mass produced" and so he thinks that they shouldn't be wayspots and wants punishments for everyone involved.

According to the responses by @NianticGiffard I don't see any mention in those answers about other reasons to punish the wayfarers that sent the nominations, they take those "abuse reports" and then hand punishments without any explanation.

Then you get threads like this one where two different persons have been hit by a suspension and they are totally clueless about what they did wrong. One claims that they haven't sent any nomination or edit since so long ago, and the other one claims that they haven't done anything wrong. So being very careful about Wayfarer and avoiding it as much as possible seems to be the best course of action as long as people is able to report nominations that they disagree with as abuse, specially when that people skip the official course of action while reviewing and jump straight to create threads to report abuse because the "in-wayfarer" options provided to reject a nomination doesn't fulfill their desire of punishment against other people.

I don‘t remember if it was after or before the first suspension but there could be „one“ possible edit for a few inches. As said, I‘ve learned from my mistake with not real wayspot nominations after the first suspension.

But would be much easier if Niantic would finaly tell me WHAT I did and even more important WHEN I should have done it.

I have no idea why this (WHAT & WHEN) is such a big secret

@NianticAaron

• ftzzghzuhdidu-INGftzzghzuhdidu-ING Posts: 391 ✭✭✭

Do the man a favor and tell him in a private message for what exactly he has received his latter ban. He seems to be able to understand that something he did was rule breaking, so it must be really frustrating to not know what wrong you did, when you didn't mean it.

• ftzzghzuhdidu-INGftzzghzuhdidu-ING Posts: 391 ✭✭✭

The mentioned reporter and his other buddy and the way they are treated actually became a reason for me to believe that they are either affiliated in some way to N's staff or that N's staff is affiliated to Japan and act therefore upon personal reasons quicker and/or different. Apparently the Sturmruger guy even ditched the attempt to post threads anymore on the forum, now he directly writes his "reports" on Giffard's message board.

Sorry for „Quote“ you again but just to show you why I‘m so upset. The email with the 60 days suspension says again because of nominations but I haven‘t done any.

### Do not reply below this line ###AleahAugust 10, 2021, 10:22 +0000Hello Trainer,

We have confirmed that you have been submitting PokéStop candidates that do not meet our criteria. As a result of this violation, your Wayfarer account has been suspended for 60 days.

So how it is possible to get an email like that without submitting any new nominations and even don‘t have old ones that haven‘t been voted yet?

It‘s like getting a punishment for driving to fast with your car when don‘t even have a car 🤷🏼‍♂️

Oh, I didn't know that it would be possible to use the forums that way. Thank you.

Hey @xrs2000i-PGO and @Babarushki-PGO You can post your questions directly to the admins:

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/profile/NianticGiffard He seems to reply to almost every post, much more than when he's mentioned in the forums

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/profile/NianticAaron He might feel alone without any message, and he seems to know what's going on with the punishment on your accounts.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think it is time to calm down a bit, or have @NianticGiffard just simply close this matter. thank you

• Hello! Based on the content of the discussion, I will be closing it for future comments. I appreciate your understanding.

This discussion has been closed.