Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

An epilectic flash occurs when giving a nomination 1 star overall during review

AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

When reviewing, giving a 1 star rating to a nomination causes the rejection reason menu to pop up, however, with the introduction of "new" Wayfarer, when the rejection menu opens it first opens with the "Wayspot Criteria" tab open, but then quickly closes the tab to return to the main rejection menu. This sub menu opening and closing creates a quick flash on the screen every time a 1 star rating is selected, and may be particularly harmful to epilictic or other photosensitive people.

Tagged:
5 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• sophielab-INGsophielab-ING Posts: 266 ✭✭✭✭

I checked this out last night since there appears to be a large complaints from op following update. I reviewed 8 things. I believe a better description of the problem is that prior to the upgrade, the next review would load about 90% of the time immediately after hitting submit. After the update, there is always a delay. It usually results in the user seeing a white screen, the bouncing airship screen and another white screen. He's correct about more flashes but this I think is a better description.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

Deleted by poster, restored by @NianticTintino to screen record to send to team, deleted again.

Post edited by NianticTintino-ING on

So, let's post the video of the animation that you believe could potentially cause seizures on the website? Doesn't the best idea.

I don't believe it really. The potential is very small but for someone who might be reviewing in the middle of the night seeing this brief but momentary flash, they're putting themselves in danger.

Besides, if you don't provide concrete evidence and actually show what is happening to Niantic, how will they know that it's a thing? Saying things without backing things up to administrators who don't review or even understand the mechanics of the system does not do anything and makes it seem that it's just someone overreacting to what is really, a misload of a scrollbar. Catching a Pokemon in Pogo transitions the screen with a fade to white.

So I have edited out the animation for your sake.

I don't believe what you had up is able to trigger stuff. It's too small. But it's not a good idea to post it like that especially on a loop. It's still annoying and needs to be fixed.

If you're looking for stuff that potentially dangerous it is usually more strobe like and encompasses more of the screen.

• Hello @HaramDingo-ING, thank you for posting. your screen recording. Unfortunately when I looked at it I did not see the flash mentioned. @AisforAndis-ING do or anyone else who have seen this issue have a screen recording of it? It would be super helpful to show the team what is happening. I tried to duplicate it on my end to no success.

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

@NianticTintino I have linked a video below, however it honestly seems like the clunkiness of the "new" wayfarer has gotten even worse, slowing down the site and thus making the flash less of a flash. Either way, the root cause is still shown in the video, but I will explain it better below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwHCcGez5n8

1) A user clicks 1-star on a nomination, this opens the rejection menu.

2) When the rejection menu opens, the "Wayspot Criteria" tab is open, showing rejection options such as "body part", "other rejection criteria", "live animal", "natural feature" etc.

3) Very quickly after the rejection menu opens, the "Wayspot Criteria" tab closes, hiding options such as "body part, "other rejection criteria", etc. The "Wayspot Criteria" tab closing so quickly after the rejection menu opens is what causes the flash. It is easier to notice when looking at the top or bottom of the phone screen after 1-starring a nomination.

The issue can be fixed by doing either of the following:

• Make the "Wayspot Criteria" tab never open by itself when 1-starring a nomination and opening the rejection menu.
    • Stop the "Wayspot Criteria" tab from quickly closing itself and leave it open by default.

edited August 2021

Ahh, you restored the deleted image from my edited post to send to the team.

From what I believe, this "flash" as you see from the gif is simply the quick pop-up and swift collapse of the "Select a reason" table. Specifically on dark mode, there is a large white scrollbar that quickly "flashes" for a split second before it collapses and disappears.

EDITED: Andis has explained it well above on mobile reviewing. While "the flash" is not as pronounced as the 'white scrollbar' I mentioned (probably dependent on Chrome skins), it is clunky.

edited August 2021

@NianticTintino Any particular reason my comments above are being ignored? You're asking the other 2 but not me. Not even acknowledging that part of the post.

The problem was a white flash then the bouncing ship and white flash in between all the reviews. Prior to the update, the next review would lead 90% of the time immediately and the white screens and bouncing ship were skipped.

Is it safe to assume that I shouldn't expect you to fix this?

I've been trying to be heard over all the "Make this just like Wayfarer+" posts. Then the one post where I want you to answer, you're not even responding to me. I am sick all the downvotes for people on this forum when I try to derail conversations about features(mostly from one discord as an organized unit). You're listening to random people about a random tiny flash when even looped it's minor at best. I'm the one with actual issues with flashing. My complaint is still being completely ignored.

Post edited by sophielab-ING on
  • AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all of the complaints, I'm stunned Niantic has not yet reverted back the older Warfarer. How much more proof do they need that the new Wayfarer is terrible? People hate it. This is concerning and if somebody seriously hurts themselves because of this, I'm sure Niantic could face legal action.

• Hi @AisforAndis-ING, @Harambe1387-PGO, & @sophielab-ING,

Thanks for the additional context and video. I've added it to the bug report to give the team more information to help resolve this issue.

@Danbocat-PGO Could we get a working as intended sticker on this? It's fairly obvious that the white flashing between each review is an intended function. I haven't touched the reviewing since this "feature" was added. I won't run the risk. I would have @NianticTintino because he hasn't followed up on this but there appears to be a new ambassador program in the works so it looks like he only feels comfortable dealing with certain members of the community.