ABUSE: “Wayfarer - Global Reviewers” Facebook group admins are engaging in a disinformation campaign

Comments

• Anisaerah-PGOAnisaerah-PGO Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

The nomination wasn't rejected, though. The description was changed by Niantic, according to the other thread.

At the very least, encouraging people to make nominations that do not fit the criteria shouldn't be rewarded with privileged information that ordinary users are not privy to.

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

I think this entire thread has matured well past its expiration date. I'm not sure what business OP has in creating more drama over something in another thread that has already wrapped up. This post is clearly about activities on a platform that Wayfarer has no jurisdiction over and does not meet Wayfarer-related criteria for discussion in the Wayfarer forum. Plus, it's just devolving into an opinionated shouting match.

@NianticTintino @NianticGiffard @NianticCasey-ING Can we please get this thread closed? It does not serve the Wayfarer community. Thank you.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

Im sure one of the bosses can stop the bleeding. Similar sentiments were shared the last time this was an issue and Niantic ultimately intervened, the group made changes and got their act semi under control... for a while. But now that a Niantic presence isn't active in their, they are back to their old ways.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador

The nomination wasn't rejected, though. The description was changed by Niantic, according to the other thread.

Ahh, my apologies - I must have missed that in the six or seven repetitive threads on this same subject on multiple sites. This seems like a weird action for Niantic to take - why not just remove the waypoint immediately and force a resubmit, if they deem the infraction so serious? Why not issue warnings (without additional penalty) to the reviewers who approved the submission as written?

edited August 2021

The only reason there have been "repetitive threads" is because posts with photos here are subject to moderation and on Facebook, they kept having comments turned off and deleted.

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

I understand that reading comprehension can be hard for some, but I did nothing besides explain a portion of Niantic's Terms of Service, and recount a series of events that blatantly breaks Niantic's Terms of Service. If you believe that the comments are "devolving into a shouting match", perhaps you should just stop participating and allow those who can be civil and objective to have their voices be heard. Much of what you have said showed either a clear lack of you reading or understanding the things that I said. Niantic has been active on the platform and issues that happen there do concern them as it effects the Wayfarer platform as a whole. As such, they have acted on issues that have happened there in the past.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

Its not about the severity of the nomination. Niantic gets to decide what they do and punishments if any... that was handled and no one has any issues with that. The problem here is the way admins in a group are conducting themselves. I dont know the reasoning behind this and can only speculate but won't. The truth of the matter is clarification posts, for clarifications the admin herself asked for, were deleted the first time they were posted without any explanation, reasoning nor requests. And people who asked why said posts were removed were and are currently still muted, again with no explanations.

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm permabanned for arguing with the main admin in that group, so I think you got off light with a month's muting.

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

Activities on another platform are not against Niantic's Terms of Service, which apply to use of Niantic platforms and services.

This is false. The Terms of Service are the things to which you must agree to in order to utilize Niantic products. While many of the aspects and potential violations discussed within the Terms of Service directly relate to direct usage of Niantic products, it is still very possible to violate the Terms of Service while not specifically actively engaging with a Niantic product. An example of this is the rule I discussed, where you may not encourage other users violate the Terms of Service found within Section 6. This includes encouragement on and off of the official Wayfarer platform.

Niantic cannot regulate what I or anyone else does in our daily lives outside of Niantic's platforms.

While Niantic cannot directly regulate the content of users off of official Niantic platforms, they can hold users accountable for their actions.

This is something I already explained, and I'm not sure why anything about this situation requires you to make personal attacks.

Nowhere did I make a personal attack against you. In fact you've made quite a few unsubstantiated ones against me. Telling you facts that you don't like or don't agree with does not constitute a personal attack.

You have gone out of your way, entirely unprompted, to call out another user just because they didn't do things on another platform to your personal satisfaction.

I reported coordinated abuse that violates Niantic's terms of service, which I am well within my rights to do. I was prompted to do so because of the repeated offenses of the individuals involved.

You've done this in the other thread, and when you didn't get the response you liked, you made your own thread to dig everything up all over again.

The responses that I posted in the other thread were liked by a Niantic employee and then were specifically commended by the Niantic employee for their accuracy. I'm not sure why you would think I didn't like the response I got, because I loved it.

I made a new thread because the old thread was a criteria clarification, having been moved by Niantic from the general discussion board, to the criteria clarification board. The topic of my thread has well exceeded the criteria clarification.

You personally decided what was and wasn't enough clarification on someone else's behalf, when it's not your decision to make, and you kept trying to force that onto other people.

I never did any such thing. I welcome the repeated clarifications, because every time the clarification is made, there is less and less excuse for people to argue against the criteria. The fact of the matter is that the criteria clarification was unneeded. The criteria was already known, and was blatantly being ignored. The clarification did not provide any new information or changes to existing guidelines.

Your last paragraph is so repetitive and misguided that I'm not going to even attempt to respond to it. It frankly has major @BleedBoss-PGO vibes, and if you take a look at that persons posting history you will find that they were permanently banned for toxicity and actions similar to yours just shortly before you made your account.

Like it or not, the ways in which Wayfarer fan communities conduct themselves is very important to the overall Wayfarer ecosystem, and their actions can have negative ramifications for all submitters and reviewers, and as such is well within the scope of this forum.

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

Feel free to specify the passage in the Terms that says I'm wrong. Just because Niantic has taken unspecified "action," which hasn't been described so it's hard to judge anything about it, doesn't mean the group is in violation of the Terms of Service. Niantic admins joining a private FB group have no authority except as private individuals, and whatever authority anyone else in the group attributes to them, but there is nothing real or legal about it. There is nothing in the quoted Terms that prohibits talking about the Wayfarer process on external sites. Everything quoted is specific to what occurs on Niantic's services themselves. All rules against influencing other users apply to that influencing occurring within Niantic's services and nowhere else. There is not some bizarre legal ability for Niantic to reach anywhere and everywhere to stop people from doing this outside of Niantic's services. Can you imagine what legal atrocities makers of software would commit if they could control anything you do beyond the direct interaction with their software? Direct interaction is the only thing those Terms have control over. This also goes for "restricting" information. Just because I don't post something on my site about Niantic's rules doesn't mean I'm restricting anything. Access to the information is always there because I'm not blocking actual access to Niantic's website.

The Terms passage that talks about not misappropriating third party content refers to you using third party content from outside Wayfarer inside Wayfarer. It's not about using Wayfarer content outside Wayfarer.

The passage about encouraging other people not to do it refers to the same thing - that you can't do it inside Wayfarer.

The passage about access to/use of Services or Content is about your access to Wayfarer and use of Wayfarer Services. It doesn't apply to people talking about it outside Wayfarer. The FB group isn't and cannot affect this access unless they are doing something to prevent you from accessing the website or Wayfarer interface.

I'm not saying I agree with the FB group or what they're doing. But Niantic has no control over it and complaints about a FB group aren't a Wayfarer topic, nevermind that this whole thing is turning into someone's personal crusade.

• Eneeoh-PGOEneeoh-PGO Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno there, @Oakes1923-PGO , corporations routinely overreach in their EULAs and TOS.

The passage at the end there looks like it claims that my brother streaming a movie while I’m trying to use WiFi to upload to Wayfarer is criminal behavior.

(I’m pretty sure it is not!)

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am Not Sure Anymore WHO is the Bad Guy and WHO the good Guy. @NianticGiffard calling

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Niantic has staff working at odd hours (relative to North America) but who are not our authoritative Giffard/Tintino/Aaron? There is nobody at Niantic working right now that would shut down this filled-with-hostility thread down.

If posted with different timing, it would have already been closed and/or moderated and/or deleted. So yes, you cannot convince me that its posting’s timing was anything but deliberate, especially given how directly pointed the initial attacks were from the outset.

And apparently now I’m being attacked personally, for the minor sin of pointing this out? Gotcha.

Clearly *someone* is working at Niantic over the weekend, because they approved this to be posted. There were numerous posts by at least one Niantic employee in this forum last night and this morning.

• aleprj-INGaleprj-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for the thanks for the lively discussion, I guess.

I don't see anything positive coming out if this thread. Niantic already has everything it needs to decide if they want to do something about the topic here.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

When somebody is telling me to “be civil” it implies that I had not been. I call that “an attack”. You don’t?

Not really, no.

Especially since multiple words in your post had to be censored because you weren't using civil language.

This discussion has been closed.