Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

How to rate when the support photo does not show the object AND it's location?

I see a lot of support photos that are either a duplicate of the object photo, or look away from it, or are cunningly taken to avoid showing the road / private home etc.

I feel tempted to give them an automatic 1*, and wish Niantic would make the guideline stronger.

What do you do?

Answers

• Senmana-INGSenmana-ING Posts: 129 ✭✭✭✭

Used properly, supporting photos can really enhance a Nomination, especially when it's not easily found on Street View. I wouldn't penalise for a poor supporting photo, but if it means I can't locate the POI then I'd have to reject.

If I saw exactly the same photo I'd do a quick reverse image search to check they haven't pulled the image directly from the Internet, and also check it's not stolen from Google Street View. But if legit, I don't think it's a reason to 1*.

• YouLostAStar-INGYouLostAStar-ING Posts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% agree with @Senmana-ING hopefully people can learn to use the supporting photo properly, I’ve seen some fantastic uses of supporting photo.

i always photosphere to help confirm location and try to use the supporting pic to either prove it’s in guidelines or to get a different angle so reviewers can understand why I’m submitting it

• Hydracyan-INGHydracyan-ING Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

If I can't see it on the Streetview and the support picture or the normal picture don't have any clues to help locating it, it's 1* at misplaced location. I'm not risking approving a fake submission.

I've seen enough fake graffiti with weird photospheres to risk/trust it.

• Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

I evaluate each case on it's own. I know a number of people interpret the "Take a picture of the surroundings" instruction to mean "Take a picture of the area as if you were standing on the portal looking out". So they're not all malicious.

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

Per the January 2020 update.

Supporting images

The goal of supporting images is to help reviewers confirm that the potential Wayspot exists in the location and can be accessed on foot. Take a clear, well-lit photo of the candidate from a moderate distance to show its surroundings. Using the same photo as the nomination or taking a photo that does not show the candidate will not help reviewers.  

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the supporting photo doesn’t show the PoI I disregard it and treat the submission like a Redacted one where all we had to work with was a single photo. I’d very rarely even fantasize about giving it one 1* out of spite

Some people use similar photos or the same photo for both when the supporting photo isn’t necessary (e.g. the thing is clearly visible on street view or they’ve made a photosphere).

Also, as others have said, many of the utterly infuriating photos that don’t show the PoI are entirely the fault of Niantic’s terribly-worded instructions, coupled with the fact that most of those submitters probably don’t review.