New “Upload Later” Feature - Discussion Thread

Comments

• 52cucumbers-ING52cucumbers-ING Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭

You open up a map that shows your location on a sattelite view (Like the Google Travel app) and screenshot where the pin is. Then when later submitting you try your best to match the visible features when placing the pin. It would arguably be better to be allowed to enter coordinates but here we are...

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador

The other issue with allowing this feature, is that @NianticTintino is a massive increase in junk. On top of the massive amount of junk we already have coming through, or even end up in game. Seriously, @NianticTintino you need to stop the roll out of this feature!

The primary source of massive increases in junk we've seen lately is from the Foursquare dump, not Pokemon Go players. With the Submitter Test coming up, better education should make for better overall quality in the network. This feature shouldn't be held back because in the past, on different servers, under different criteria, using a different review system...lots of coal went through. It should, though, be rolled out to Ingress players simultaneously. Some of the most dedicated, long-time, high-volume reviewers and submitters are Ingress players. Well, maybe they should fix the Portal Not Appearing glitch first.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭

@GearGlider-PGO - LOL, so what do you think the distance limit should be? If in theory you should be nearby, but also want to curb abuse...

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really refreshing seeing proper updates, no matter how small, being shared with the greater community. Thank you!

This is the type of communication we hunger for in the Ingress forums, especially as many of us are paying customers (through the CORE Subscription) and we ultimately get nothing.

Keep up the great work!

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

The distance limit for everyone but me should be very small, while my limit should be none. This is fair because of my own internal logical process which I will not explain but trust me on it. /s

But TBH a lot of people dedicated to abuse are going to do things like spoof, fake photos, fake photospheres, collude with other players etc (colluding is the big one). If internal investigations have shown that reducing the submission distance limit is going to help curb abuse, (even though it would make submissions harder for me) then I guess I shouldn't complain But if this is being done to help curb abuse, I'd argue there are better ways to do it that can't be gotten around by 3rd party apps. (Something putting noms behind a test and tying # of noms you can make to agreements is an example that's tossed around a lot here.)

• Purptacular-PGOPurptacular-PGO Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

It is so great to have @NianticDanbocat coming back into this thread to help us.

I am a PoGo submitter and super excited to have this feature coming. I play in urban, suburban, and rural areas. I recognize how many woefully underrepresented rural locations are in-game, and have a long list of really wonderful rural nominations I'd like to submit.

I was hoping that the "Upload Later" feature would work like Google Streetmaps... that I could create my submission at its actual location, using satellite data to tag its coordinates there and then, and simply wait to upload once I'm back on WiFi. If that's not the case, how on Earth do I keep track of the location of the places I want to submit? I have never seen any kind of location coordinates listed in Pokemon Go.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

@NianticDanbocat first thank you for diving straight back in - it’s the sort of natural interaction and update I really appreciate and sets a nice tone for this forum.

As others are saying, cheaters will cheat no matter what.

It is frustrating having rules imposed that are trying to curb what they do, which they sidestep but make things tricker for others.

Normally the distance in Ingress is ok for me for trips out to nearby rural communities. But I have been caught out on occasions and ended up not being able to submit. Like @Purptacular-PGO I was hoping that an upload later feature would work like doing my photospheres. I would create the location and photos with basic text in the field and upload at home, and edit text (perhaps after research) in wayfarer and the distance wouldn’t matter. This would help not only with poor signals but also if the weather isn’t great. It is also likely that I am having to spend time on a photosphere. The locations where this would be useful are very likely to be rural so highly unlikely to be in the sort of place where there is misuse.

it may be technically difficult but is there any way that when you press submit, instead of timing out it gives an upload later option. So you have tried but can’t submit.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,119 Ambassador
    edited September 2021

Agreed. I’d like the Ingress distance to stay as is.

Also excited that “other games” are noted. Which game is next on the Wayfarer list @NianticDanbocat or is that a secret? 🤫

Thinking more on this, with Pokémon GO getting the extra distance that they whined for, and Ingress being shafted a few times, it does seem like it’s almost intentional to annoy the Ingress player base at this point, and only give any shiny new toys and features to Pokémon GO.

Post edited by PkmnTrainerJ-ING on

But the main reason for Ingress nominations and retaining the 25km radius (or maybe even proposing expanding it to a select group of Wayfinders) is because of the adventurous nature of agents.

cc @NianticTintino & @NianticDanbocat

• Hoomon-INGHoomon-ING Posts: 14 ✭✭

I suspect that PGO app crashing 100% time during picture taking on a lot of devices was the major reason to enable the open existing pictures.

I no longer need to carry an old phone for nominations. The change does make it easier to sit at home and submit within the distance limits, that will be the cost of this low-tech bug fix of camera app crashing the game.

My Andriod S9 and S21 crash 100%. Have to go with an S7 to be reliable before this update in the game.

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭

This change was very handy. It's nice to just get the pics while I'm walking and sit down and figure the specifics out later.

• Grogyan-INGGrogyan-ING Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Thanks for responding. Glad to hear that discussions are in place with Brian Rose to bring Ingress on parity with this feature.

Sorry for the text wall.

Here I go restating what I have said, again.

Pgo

Transformers Heavy Metal

Pikmin

Harry Potter Wizards Unite

Catan World Explorers

1) Are all urban centric games.

2) all the above games use Niantic Lightship for client and server. Niantic Lightship as a fact is so bloated and slow that playing these games on a typical 3G connection isn't possible.

2a) John Hanke likes to play down the bloat by blaming mobile infrastructure. And blah blah blah, 5G blah blah. Is frankly ignoring, and border line arrogant. Here's the the, the fact of the matter is that a very large proportion of players do NOT HAVE 5G. In fact most cities that have "5G" isn't actually 5G at all, marketing hype for essentially 4G+, which is pretty fast in ideal scenarios. Less than half of the world barely has 4G. Yet repeatedly the Lightship Team are forcing features onto games that mobile infrastructure cannot handle, meaning that the end user on either very modern hardware, or even 5yr old mobiles have a very very poor experience, if playable at all!

Pokémon GO frankly eats up too much data, so much so it is unplayable in rural areas.

Until the Lightship API team, and the pokemon go developers make the API and PGO 4 times more efficient, the reasoning for pushing forth remote uploading of wayspots needs to not be implemented.

The limitations of uploading on the spot should be considered as a "low pass filter" of adequate mobile signal for reasonable playability of the games listed above.

3) The other side of the sword is this, we WARNED you about the fact that when pgo players were included into Wayspot reviewing that, junk wayspots would be nominated, and go through the system was NOT adhered. Now we constantly get "Gimmie pokemon gym at home".

It is still the case now, but you want to allow for even worse junk to be nominated, and likely go through the system.

Most pokemon go reviewers are good at reviewing, however the fact is that a substantial group of players are still gaming the Wayfarer system.

And you're letting them!

If you are still moving forward with this remote upload feature for pokemon go, a 1km limit is more than adequate, because again, for the games listed above, they are all urban centric.

4) If a Pogo player has poor data to upload on the spot, then they should be recommended to find a way to boost their mobile data signal, much in the same way us Ingress players have had to for years.

Be it a portable hotspot + yagi antenna, or globe sat.

Why? Again, Niantic Lightship has grown so much it is too bloated that the comm layer cannot reasonably considered as acceptable on anything but a strong 4G signal, which again, repeating, much of the world doesn't have good 4G coverage.

My issues are junk. Horrendous amounts of junk wayspots.

• WhiteRavenOs-PGOWhiteRavenOs-PGO Posts: 32 ✭✭

Will we be able to have more Waypoints on "nominate later" then the currently available nominations we have? So 7 max? Imo we should get as many as we want, being only restricted as of when we can actually upload them.

I currently have 0 nomination available and can't put anything on "nominate later" but that might be unintentional (i hope).

• SSSputnik-INGSSSputnik-ING Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I've opened Pokemon out in the middle of nowhere and every gym is stacked with international spoofers monsters of extremely high levels. It's a joke.

So putting something on "upload later" still takes a nomination away? And we can only have 7 on "upload later" ?

You still use up a nomination yes. As for how many you can queue up, I would imagine it’s seven maximum (at least for Pokémon GO).

I would think it temporarily removes one nomination for each one you have queued on “Upload Later” so that you can’t do more than seven.

Then if you decide not to upload one, you’ll get one nomination back.

Seven at a time is plenty for Pokémon GO.

That's awful but i kinda expected it.

Hoped for a way to nominate more than 7 Waypoints when being on hiking trips but i guess Niantic doesn't want players to nominate a lot of Waypoints on remote or rual areas... or dedicated Wayfarers to nominate a lot of Waypoints in general...

Guess the Wayfarer app will only get more fake nomination with that new feature then... Even more than there are already...

There is a way. Download Ingress. Get to level 10. Then that’s 14 extra. The Upload Later feature will be on that too, Soon™️

Awesome "solution"...

As i said, it doesn't appear that Niantic actually wants us to nominate easily...

You now how long it takes to get to lvl 10 in Ingress, an app that's barely a "game"?...

I play it quite a lot and that’s where I nominated stuff before it came to Pokémon GO. I enjoy Ingress now, as it’s own thing, but I did initially start it for Pokémon GO stuff. Now I don’t care if my nominations don’t appear in GO

Currently the only way to get more nominations is to level up in other apps. Not my fault that that’s the only solution from Niantic. 🤷

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad I've used 7 nominations yesterday 🙄

So I take it will consume your available nominations to be uploaded later, yes?

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get you. You aren't postponing a nomination, you are simply postponing the upload until you get to a stronger single or are on WiFi. I don't understand why you think an "upload later" should allow you more nomination slots.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it will use the slot when you "submit" it, even if you selected to upload it later. As for when you get the slot back, I would presume it is 13 days from the time you finish uploading the nomination. So that will incentivize you not to keep the nomination stored in memory for too long.