Not accepted nomination for no reason

Hey, could anyone explain to me why my nomination wasn't accepted ? I nominated (I have no idea what's the word in english so I am gonna use the words that google translate gave me) House of Mourning (Building for funerals). I got an email that it's sensitive because it's around cemetery ? or something like that. This is the reason: "sensitive (e.g. non-historic or culturally significant gravestones or cemeteries)" and also this: "Photo is low quality (e.g., pitch black/blurry photos or photos taken from a car)".

So... there are like 2 or 3 pokestops and also 1 gym RIGHT in the cemetery (the entrance of the cemetery is also a pokestop), I have seen this very same building in a village like 3 km away from my town and it's called "house of dead" there lol and it's a gym :) Why ? Why is the very same building a gym in nearby village, it also has a stupid title, but this one I nominated isn't ?

This is the photo I used for the nomination: http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wp8EUjPvUIyak3yGz4Dxb8Hypfd6duJsVGSk5fTilk9Q53RtSnJqgDKHp5yEc8dpv_RJGm0Tl4Y2-pb5UVbXCmO76kCcU2SFXv4yrHQ so I don't really understand that "low quality" reason.

If I were to review people's nominations like they reviewed mine (talking about the low quality photo) then I would reject like 60% more than I do now.

Comments

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well it is a dark photo, but locations pertaining to or inside a cemetery are sensitive and not acceptable. Once upon a time (especially when Ingress first came out) they were acceptable, which is why you might see locations in cemeteries, as they are grandfathered in and will not be removed unless the property/graveplot owner requests them to be removed. Don't judge the criteria on what you see already on the map because things slip through the cracks sometimes, and it may not reflect the current guidelines.

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

To add context too. My area I have TONS of housing community name signs, and TONS of water aerator fountains in the middle of ponds submitted, because you'll see on the duplicates map there are others on the gameboard already, so people think "Cool, I should submit this one!" But they aren't acceptable anymore (or never were) so they are just back to back 1* rejects.

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things in cemeteries such as war memorials and historic graves for significant persons are allowed. I somewhat recently had an historical marker in a historic cemetery approved, for example.

That said, I'm not sure a "house of mourning" would qualify regardless of the status of things in a cemetery. The photo, while not perfect, is definitely not a reason for rejection.

• I mean... you can almost perfectly see the building on the photo so I have no idea why I also got a rejection that it's low quality photo.

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the bigger problem is that the building isn't really eligible anyway and a better photo wouldn't have made a difference.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic has explicitly said funeral homes & chapels created and used for funerals do not qualify.

And think about it. Grieving people don't need grinning, dressed-down gamers concentrating on their phones, talking - intruding on mourners' privacy. Maybe they just lost a parent, or child.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I would get to review such nomination you can bet that I would reject it in a second. Such places are not meant to be playing around with your phone while there's people around thinking about their loves ones that they have lost.

• MonkeyDLuffy179-PGOMonkeyDLuffy179-PGO Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited September 2021

I was just casually reviewing some nominations now and I found this https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NPEc5FZa5ZFB_YuFCuJ5u1ED0nkcqcaNPlv5KfNrGp0oBxeQnOMVYeedn34KYPoPZzmRP8kzmpPQNbeD5U7y5npSt4E=s0 This is a wayspot already in game in a village few kilometers away from me. HOW IS MY PHOTO (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wp8EUjPvUIyak3yGz4Dxb8Hypfd6duJsVGSk5fTilk9Q53RtSnJqgDKHp5yEc8dpv_RJGm0Tl4Y2-pb5UVbXCmO76kCcU2SFXv4yrHQ=s0) LOW QUALITY WHEN THIS WAS ACCEPTED ?

I know it wouldn't change anything because my nomination wasn't accepted for more reasons, but I don't understand. [REDACTED] That church is much lower quality than my nomination and I have also received a reject reason that it's low quality, but this church was added to the game perfectly fine. I am confused.

Post edited by Basslord808-ING on
  • X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to refer back to the previous comment that you cannot judge your submission by existing content. The guidelines have changed, the sources for information and images have changed, the standards are different.

Take the best possible photo you can, in proper light, at a clear angle, well-centered. If appropriate, capture a good background. Don’t just throw something in with the reasoning ‘well, the church down the street has a blurry photo taken at night from a car, so mine should be fine.’

• Well, I don't know how it was before, but if I had to guess, I think back then there were also some criteria that the object should be visible.

Even if the nomination is from a long time ago, I don't see anything wrong with my photo. For me it seems even better because the white building is more visible with dark background behind it.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

The image is too dark, not well-centered, strangely angled, and I can’t really tell what it is other than maybe resembling something I might build in Minecraft. You might be right, it might be a better image taken at night, but you’re not the one you have to convince, your reviewers are, and they’re not even here to read your arguments. But they have already told you that, given the current standards and guidelines, they’re disinclined to approve this image.