Rejected for photo being tilted, sideways, or upside down??

Not looking for critique on the object. I'm wondering if you would reject the photo outright because you think it is tilted, sideways, or upside down (and only for that reason) :) Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

The orientation looks fine and shouldn't have been rejected for that.

However, you may experience rejection reasons for other reasons, including lack of pedestrian access and generally not meeting criteria (just assuming this without the context of the full nomination information). This is most likely the real causes of the rejection, not the orientation.

• PlutoIsSad-PGOPlutoIsSad-PGO Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

It's actually place people socialize. (Maybe not a Pokemon Go player walking by but locals do) AND it is accessible to pedestrians since... people have to get there. It has a wide shoulder area to gather. Rural areas just don't have sidewalks. Heck, even in downtowns of big cities in Japan once you are off a main street there are no sidewalks and people literally share the road with cars... No shoulder... yet there are loads of wayspots.

The plate also has local cultural significance. The plate is struck to call people to gather there. It's usually for pre-planned meetings for things like cutting weeds and brush. Weeds grow well over head high here and kudzu (a creeping vine like plant) takes over if not cut back. It also struck for things to do with rice production. Locals are often doing other things so it's used as a reminder. In a past without smartphones and convenient machinery it would have been used even more for combined labour.

The lazy types who just quickly choose "one star, bad photo (or whatever), done" to photos that are actually fine aren't helpful. With a bit of due diligence like reading the description or checking street view they'd learn enough to thumbs up a nomination... or maybe not.

I put every description that I don't understand through translation software. I don't want to be slack on someone's nomination or upgrade.

In the end I understand that many will look at the photo and think "what's this? Looks rusty and unused, reject" no matter what I wrote.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

The image is slightly tilted, but not enough IMO to be rejected for that specific reason. However, given that the object isn't eligible to begin with, a couple of reviewers probably chose that option to "very" their rejection reasons in the belief that they are avoiding a "cool down" by not using the same reason over and over again.

Why do you say "ineligible"?

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just a hanging metal plate or an old warn off sign. There is nothing about it that meets criteria.

edited September 2021

I suspect that with the exact same back story and location that this would satisfy criteria for those who rejected it's poor country cousin.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo itself isnt faced directly at the hanging sheet metal thing, but i personally wouldn’t reject it for that reason.

I don’t know the back story of the nomination or description but doesnt strike me as something that is inherently eligible by just looking at it :)

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add my voice to the chorus that says the reason given is neither entirely correct nor entirely incorrect, but the overall rejection does appear to be correct.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the explanation that goes with "Low Quality Photo", but my guess is that people are selecting "Low Quality Photo" because they can't tell what that is a picture of. No critique on the object :) I might use that reason myself if I were reviewing but I would have to see the rest of the submission.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the photo your only rejection reason? Or was it third in a list? If it was third, ignore it, and focus on the first two rejection reasons.

I knew that people would say it's ineligible because it's ugly (They still did but at least they answered the question first).

I put a bit of a backstory in a reply above. I would be grateful if you gave it a quick read and reply to that comment.

I get it. It's ugly. It's not a beautiful Chinese gong but a piece made for the countryside to get people's attention. It gets the job done. It doesn't have a plaque saying that it saved people from something like a typhoon, flood, or typhoon or helped find a lost elderly person (which they now announce on huge speakers) but it probably has saved people. It has local importance (and is a place to be social though it's locals being social). It is still in use and has been for 50+ years.

The title and description on the wayspot would teach players what it is and it's local cultural significance. I see so many Pokestops where I only learned what it was and it's significance from the description. Actually I see so many Pokestops where I didn't even realize something was there and now I do.

Is this one or two reasons?

This nomination has been rejected due

to the following reason(s):

Nomination does not meet acceptance

criteria, Photo appears to be tilted,

sideways, or upside down.

(I read it as one but if it's two reasons then the other is probably pedestrian access even though you can see a wide space people gather at. It is a poor rejection reason in much of Japan, a country that has no sidewalks once you leave the main streets. Even in large city downtowns people actually do have to share the road with cars when you turn off of a main street and yet... Pokestops)

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

The main rejection reason is that it doesn’t meet criteria, which is what this thread generally said as well.

Photo orientation is also listed so someone chose that also, but it may have been just one reviewer who hit that button.

I wish the response were clearer about which criteria weren't met. Its too vague to help someone new to nomination. I get that orientation was an incorrect rejection reason.

Maybe it got varied less than three star sections so can't be clearer...

This is a near and dear personal POI that I walk past often. I thought it's community history would top it's lack of visual pizzaz.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this explanation about what this is! With that information that it is culturally significant to locals, I would approve it. But not being a local, I would never see it to vote on it.

People seem to love links in the supporting information to back up what is being said. If there is anything you can find that refers to coming together when this gong sounds, include it.