In-Game names in Wayfarer submissions

RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is Niantics thinking on adding this to wayfarer?

I see it mostly being abused by people to reject submissions from the other team or people they do not like. This happens already based on where submissions are and by guessing but add the username to the submission and they know for sure.

With OPR abuse RAMPANT in some areas, I believe this could make it worse.

What are the benefits of this change?

Comments

• Thor3381-INGThor3381-ING Posts: 220 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Don't get your question: do you see the ingame names in reviews or do you want to see them ?

(after reading this post I quicky did some extra reviews but I don't see the submitter name)

Only time you can see a submitter's name is when (s)he uses the same name to register 360 pictures on streetview.

Adding a submitter name would be the worst idea ever.

A submission is to be reviewed on it's quality, and your way of voting should not be influenced by the name of the person who submitted it.

The only thing that should be put in place is that reviewers actually get the text we can add when completing a review (for both rejection and approval) but then these messages would need to be filtered as well to avoid inappropriate messages

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't locate where I saw the announcement but it said you could enable/disable it in wayfarer settings so I looked there and found the new setting.

If someone only submits and does no wayfarer there are not going to know about this change.

I assume it also means pogo players will get their names on stops like ingress players do but it also says in wayfarer...

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,119 Ambassador

I believe it’s just to show on the showcase when you log on and see three submissions. Sometimes it will say “A fellow Wayfinder” instead when this option has been turned off.

Re-reading it a few times it says it will show the names in Niantic games.

• Thor3381-INGThor3381-ING Posts: 220 ✭✭✭

In Ingress you can ideed see the name of the agent who submitted the picture you're seeing. I don't see any problem with this.

If 2 agents submitted a picture there is no way to find out which one of both actually submitted the portal.

But that is only after reviewing. During the review-process you don't get to see the agent's name.

Pictures submitted in PoGo will be marked with name "unknown"

Once you capture a portal your name is also marked on it, and it will be shown in the activity-log. As long as the portal is not decayed it'll be visible to everyone. If you attack an enemy portal the portal-owner will get a warning and he'll be able to see who's attacking.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador

Pictures submitted in Pokemon Go will show up in Pokemon Go, and pictures submitted in Ingress show up in Ingress. I don't know if this change means that pictures submitted in Ingress will now show the name in Pokemon Go, and the reverse, but I always look to see who submitted what where so I know who's got an area covered.

Yeah we know all that but that setting says 'Niantic may/may not show your name in Wayfarer...' according to that setting. Showing who submits something in wayfarer would be bad in my opinion.

Many people will just 5* friends and their teams submissions while rejecting the other teams submissions (ingress players) and people they don't like.

Should be easy for Niantic to clarify if names will be shown in Wayfarer soon like the setting says it will. Not that we think Niantic would ever make a mistake and give us a setting saying one thing while the opposite is true 😜