Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Maps

I was wondering what the criteria surrounding maps is. I noticed a heated discussion over someone's map being rejected and I went to look through the old AMAs and current criteria but couldn't find anything as such.

Here's a few examples of them I've taken from Google:

Answers

• AeriTheBOFH-PGOAeriTheBOFH-PGO Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

I'm inclined to say maps for parks and other tourist attractions in general are good, especially if they look nice as mentioned above. I also agree that maps for university campuses are kind of 50/50 - most of them aren't visually unique by far, but a lot of them do get through.

Although on the note of maps, what do you guys think about transport information markers? They have a map of the surrounding area and contains directions to POIs including parks, transport hubs, commercial areas, etc., such as:

Curious because I've had this particular one knocked back twice last year, but someone else got a similar one up the road through. I've also seen transport map markers as wayspots in plenty of other places, so it's probably like playing the lotto as usual?

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was trying to look for my previous response but I cannot find the topic. But my viewpoint still remains the same. Maps are not eligible on its own. They have to be part of a larger informational/educational signboard. I base my viewpoint on @NianticCasey-ING comments in the discussion about malls about mall maps/directories.

So you first four examples are maps that are ineligible because they are nothing more than maps. Maps 5 through 7 are part of a larger informational/educational signboard and would be eligible. The map posted by @AeriTheBOFH-PGO is definitely not eligible. This standard applies to any map regardless of location, whether it is at the entrance of a mall, at a theme park or other tourist attraction, or a college/university campus.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador
    edited April 2020

2 & 4 I would definitely accept.

Maps of places that are otherwise eligible, especially if they are visually appealing are acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

• AgentB0ss-INGAgentB0ss-ING Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look at Park Maps & Trail maps as Education Signage. They educate you about the surrounding area, trails, features of the park.

Maps at a mall (directory) is nothing more than a list of Generic Businesses.

Maps in a downtown area would have to provide additional details about the area and be more than just a standard block map. They would need to be visually unique or historic.

Maps on colleges - I personally would like to see more guidance on this matter.

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

In many cases, maps can be considered works of art depending on the level of cartography.

I think all of the maps but the 4th one in the original post would be acceptable. They are informational signs as well as maps and the cartography is good for all of them.

The exception should be when the same boilerplate template is used to produce the same maps in multiple locations. This is why mall maps are not good examples of eligible

• AeriTheBOFH-PGOAeriTheBOFH-PGO Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

@TheFarix-PGO out of curiosity can you explain why you think the map I posted wasn't eligible? It's not just a map per se - it's an information marker put up by the local mass transit authority (whose logo is on the top right hand corner). Under places of interest, it lists 3 parks, an oval, and a restaurant precinct so it's not just a list of generic businesses like you would see in a mall. So I'd say that's there to educate people about the surrounding area.

I'm genuinely curious to see where you guys draw the line, so I know what kind of marker maps/information pillars are worth submitting and which aren't.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should be a n easy pass, they are essentially information signs