Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Russia Challenge Killed My Upgrade

Comments

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

@NianticGiffard can you check on the ones provided and see if there is an underlying bug causing this?

• Yup! Since we got the requested details, we're currently looking into this.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Something like this happened several years ago.

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/7/known-issue-delays-in-upgrades

During it, Niantic never actually took responsibility and even victim blamed us, saying it had to do with abuse flags (it didn't) and that we were overreacting because upgrades aren't intended to speed up a nomination (they are).

Why is there no feedback loop that periodically checks the age of nominations currently upgraded and flags them in some way internally for re-upgrades them?

• AgentB0ss-INGAgentB0ss-ING Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

The time you are mentioning. I had roughly 10 unique trail markers upgraded and affected by this Bug. It was a huge deal working hard to get upgrades for them not to work.

The bug is still definitely around, though it appears to be in a lesser capacity.

My wife has had a nomination upgraded since around June 10th-18th, its been 2 months since this was upgraded. Everything before and after has been resolved.

I also have a broken upgrade, its been upgraded for 8 days, and in voting for 3 days. While not nearly as messed up, its clearly not getting the benefit of being upgraded. Also before anyone judges and says this nomination is not eligible, I assure you the name is more a gimmick and its a well known and very busy food establishment. (If you are bored look it up, some good articles, high rating on Google, and amazing food)

10 Days Later and both of these are still "Upgraded".

@Danbocat-PGO Maybe you can check this out on the backend. Upgrades not working as intended. I appreciate any clarification.

• javaatoo-PGOjavaatoo-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭

Upgraded nomination still stuck after several months. It was upgraded on June I think. Please check on it.

OixK5b49qL1RIc6kvcMaFHkhMizuD2R3XNy1olGTeN0=

• Hello @AgentB0ss-ING and @javaatoo-PGO,

Thank you for flagging these. As requested by @NianticGiffard a few posts back, can you provide us with the nomination name with the location for the affected nomination? Thanks!

• Cdk296-PGOCdk296-PGO Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Hi there. Just to report that my stucked nomination passed into vote (to be rejected of course 😒). Problem solved here.

edited September 2021

Nomination Name: Biscuits N’ ****

Address: 2112 S Croatan Hwy, Nags Head, NC 27959, USA

Nomination Name: R.Y. McAden Canoe and Kayak Launch

Address: 115 Willow Dr, Gastonia, NC 28056, USA

For additional details please see my post above my previous post with screenshots and explanations.

Post edited by Basslord808-ING on
  • javaatoo-PGOjavaatoo-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭

Name of nomination: Glenshire Clubhouse Playground. Location: Truckee, California

I tried to respond with the names and addresses but my post went for Mod review on Saturday and is still not posted. However if you see my earlier Post in this thread it shows the names of the waypoint nominations and the cities on the screenshots.

@NianticTintino @NianticGiffard

Is there any update on this?

My wifes nomination R.Y. McAden Canoe and Kayak Launch has been "Upgraded" for roughly 83 days. (115 Willow Dr, Gastonia, NC 28056, USA)

My nomination Biscuits N’ .... has been "Upgraded" for roughly 26 days. (Address: 2112 S Croatan Hwy, Nags Head, NC 27959, USA)

(Again please dont judge the name, the details explain it just fine in the nomination.

• I have a nomination from July 12, 2020 that is still stuck in the queue.

Nomination name: Metal Sculpture

Nomination ID: KEhgvl0v8MZpPH2c5ngNZxgCiZOjiUrm72n9ZNREnzo=

• Eneeoh-PGOEneeoh-PGO Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dagnabbit, @NianticTintino ! Can you not see how enmaddening this is? Your company bought a Chach-mierda language-prevention tool, and it’s preventing us from communicating like elDiablo at the Tower of Babel.

The actual title of the restaurant AgentBoss nominated is Biscuits’n’Pr0n, except the word after the ‘n’ was struck out by one of your cohorts in the interest of censorship. That word should be spelled with an ‘or’ in the middle like nORmal people do when they don’t have a stack of broken dictionaries.

Noantics should be cracking down on people who put inappropriate content into their games, NOT preventing normal people from using normal words in perfectly normal manner to help your company.

Im just happy the nomination screen let me type the correct name. Despite being censored on the forums. Whats even funnier is the post took like 10 days to be approved on the forums.

Happy Monday @NianticTintino @NianticGiffard

Following up on this thread.

My wifes nomination R.Y. McAden Canoe and Kayak Launch has been "Upgraded" for roughly 89 LONG days. (115 Willow Dr, Gastonia, NC 28056, USA)

My nomination Biscuits N’ .... has been "Upgraded" for roughly 32 days. (Address: 2112 S Croatan Hwy, Nags Head, NC 27959, USA)

(Name is not inappropriate, its the name of an actual restaurant in NC with over 1,000 reviews on Google for how good the food is)

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticGiffard

I am also in the same boat. On June 16th a submission made on March 11th received a random, unearned upgrade. This submission had been in the queue because it was blocked by an earlier somewhat nearby submission from another player. Typically in my area, an longstanding in-queue submission immediately goes into voting upon becoming upgraded and then is decided upon within a few hours. However, this one remained in the queue until the middle of last week, when the blocking submission was approved. The next day my submission was in voting, where it remains.

Since I didn't earn this upgrade (it came out of nowhere), I can't really complain, I guess, but it's behaving like the "upgraded" label is simply a visual glitch.

The title is "Eutaw Savings Bank" and its approximate location is: 39.29026078631429, -76.62153099299364.

Thanks for looking into this one, too!

• KitKat07-PGOKitKat07-PGO Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

My stuck upgraded nomination Glenn Grove United Holy Church, quoted above, finally reached resolution late on September 12th. The upgrade was from June 16th. That's almost 3 months after the upgrade was applied, while I had other upgrades, applied after that, take hours to a day to resolve after being upgraded.

Keep in mind that these stuck upgraded were randomly applied because they were reimbursement upgrades "for incorrectly applied" upgrades previously. These reimbursement upgrades were talked about in https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/17850/an-update-on-bugs-introduced-by-infrastructure-work#latest and the reimbursement upgrades were applied on June 16th as NianticCasey updated on that discussion. So, for these upgrades to be for previously bugged upgrades and then to be stuck themselves is a bug on top of a bug for many of us.

I believe @Ochemist-ING is correct and that these "upgrade" labels are more of a visual glitch than actually upgraded. This would make sense, as these upgrades were given due to a previous bug with upgrades. Additionally, about 3 months (the time it took for this "upgrade" to finish) is the time for places of worship to resolve in my area. This also goes along with what @Ochemist-ING said about their stuck upgraded nomination being in queue for a while and then going into voting after another nomination around it was resolved. These behaviors are normal behaviors for non-upgraded nominations. Thus, many of these stuck upgrades are probably stuck because they are really not upgraded, but instead just going through the normal reviewing process.

• Sunkast-PGOSunkast-PGO Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Niantic clearly ghosted us and this very real bug on their end. Just like they ghosted many others with very real bugs posted on this forum time and again.

It has now been 3 months since my in voting nomination was upgraded. It is still in voting. I fully expect a make up upgrade for the failed make up upgrade that was given and request 10 more upgrades for the inconvenience of this bug.

Name: The Canteen at Camp Dearborn

@NianticDanbocat @NianticGiffard @NianticTintino

edited September 2021

For whatever it’s worth:

I don’t believe these problems should be swept under the rug with a label like ‘visual glitch’.

A visual glitch should be a very temporary anomaly, where something about the order of application of signal badges and pauses during their application results in the appearance of misinformation. If you go back and check it again, everything is back to normal.

If anybody provides you a tool that serves as a window into your information in their database, and they tag your info incorrectly, or hide it from you, or don’t honor what they have promised to do with it:

This is a breach of trust, not a glitch.

Post edited by Eneeoh-PGO on
    edited September 2021

I was not trying to sweep this problem under the rug. The unresolved and still stuck upgraded nominations are an issue.

I was instead trying to show my thought process on why they were stuck. The behavior that I have experienced with them is of a normal nomination and not upgraded. I came to the conclusion that these nomination are not upgraded and will resolve in the normal area time frame for nominations rather than an immediate decision that an upgrade gives. I was also trying to point out that the Russia event upgrades may not be the reason these upgrades are stuck, but rather a badly timed coincidence. To me, these upgrades being given as reimbursement for previously bugged upgrades and then being stuck themselves is more relevant and should be looked into. I could be wrong.

I was hoping that by coming at this issue with a different preceptive or angle, Niantic would be able to fix it since that is what we all want at the end of the day. So maybe calling them a 'visual glitch' is incorrect as this issue is not resolved when the page is refreshed. These specific upgraded nominations are bugged one way or another, and were implemented on June 16th as reimbursement.

I remember the previously bugged upgraded nomination because they were my first nominations. Upgraded in late 2019, and stuck for 6 months. I have previously stated, on this thread, that stuck upgraded nominations have happened before. Many previously resolved bugs are back.

Everything is not back to normal, as many bugs are happening again and new ones are appearing. The "." rejection bug after supposedly previously resolved is back and continuing. Accepted nominations are not appearing in Ingress, but are appearing in PokemonGo. NianticThia talked about it here:https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/16303/update-on-portal-nominations-edits-and-photo-submissions/p6 on the Ingress forum. There is also the growing bug report on it on this forum https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/21046/approved-portals-not-showing-on-map-no-key-in-inventory#latest. It is another bug issue that is ongoing and being investigated. Edits are not syncing. There are still missing approved photos not appearing. The bug that says "lag out/timed out error" when nominating was also back. It waste your nominations by makes duplicate nomination and saying that it does not go through. Upgraded nominations are stuck again. The newest and most posted bug seems to be nominations missing from peoples' nomination list. This is new and different. Niantic has said they are manually reviewing those and they should reappear on the nomination list when they are resolved.

That being said, Niantic has clearly ghosted us about this real issue, and many of the others bugs posted on this forum that are listed above. For these stuck and bugged upgrades to be a reimbursement for previously bugged upgrades is a breach of trust, and their lack of communication on the issue feels like a slap in the face.

Niantic should also have given these upgrades more priority and not implemented the reimbursed upgrades right before the Russia event reward upgrades were released.

Post edited by KitKat07-PGO on
  • Thank you everyone for writing back with the requested details! We have already shared it with the Wayfarer team to look into what's wrong. We'll share an update as soon we have information.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭
    edited September 2021

@KitKat07-PGO - I appreciate and feel your frustration. Thank you for sharing your experience. Please allow me to update you on various points.

• Not sure where you read that the "." rejection reason was resolved, but this is still in progress. So there was no fix and therefore no second break of this bug. I'm still working on a solution for this.
    • Nominations not appearing on your nominations lists is also not new to us, nor is it a bug. It's just bad design on our part, which we will be working on as well. When they disappear, it is because they are assigned for Niantic review, randomly.
    • Upgrades do not guarantee a specific processing time, as you have experienced. Upgrades only increase the likelihood that your nomination will appear on someone's review session. If a nomination was in a place where there are few reviewers, the chances of a fast resolution are unfortunately lower. There are other things we can do here with the review experience...more update to come end of year.
    • I know upgrades being auto applied is a bad experience for a lot of users so we're already working on a feature that gives you full control over where they are applied. Can you please DM me with how many Russia reward upgrades you feel were wasted due to the auto apply?
    • We have logged and ticketed the various syncing issues, that is indeed new.

We may be quiet sometimes working away at these, but know that we've not left you!

cc @NianticGiffard @NianticTintino

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

I hope you looked through the thread to see the dozens of reports of upgrades still not resolved. To your point about upgrades not necessarily guaranteeing faster turnaround, it is also externally atypical for an upgrade within the US to take longer than a few days to resolve and defeats the purpose of working for the upgrade.

Also, re the Niantic "." rejection reason:

Aside from upgrades not guaranteeing a time frame for resolution...

What does the wayfarer team see an an acceptable amount of time to wait for a new Wayspot to be approved or Rejected?

Are you seeing the current Wayfarer Process meet those expected turnaround times? If not, what are you trying to speed up these wait times?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭

Thanks for surfacing that @Gendgi-PGO - there may have been a misunderstanding back then. I wasn't as deeply involved in this bug as I am now. Anyway, I will post an update about that tomorrow. CC @KitKat07-PGO you were right!

@Roli112-PGO - did you get those good questions into the AMA? Short answer, no it is way too slow. Long answer can come in the AMA responses if you got that in there.

thanks!

🤣 I actually copy pasted it so that we can get it out of the way and work on getting other questions in there... 15 questions is very limited.

Maybe this one will work...

Could a nomination, where a single category that has been mostly rated with 2*, be rejected for that rating? If so, is it only certain categories or every category? Then, same question, but with 1* instead of 2.

While I understand that an Upgrade doesn't guarantee a timeframe for resolution. You mention it makes it more likely to appear in someone's review queue. However, when everyone's experience is that Upgrades on items in voting generally take far less time than other nominations to resolve.

We have plenty of examples in this thread where these upgrades are not working as intended. If they were truly "more likely" to be reviewed they would take 30 and 60 days. There is some other force at play here, such at the nomination is completely stuck or not getting the benefit of being more likely to be reviewed.

A great example for the US, is if something is upgrades generally people anywhere within the US can review that upgrade, which causes fast turnarounds generally speaking. But in these cases it doesn't appear to be moving past the local/bonus review zones for the nominations.

In that being said could you look at the 2 examples I provided above specifically and see what is happening. One is the same date as all of the other issues in this thread from June 16th. However, I believe the second example might be in a sort of "abuse"/Censor Limbo due to the name. (Name is the actual name of the restaurant and very famous in the region/people from all other come to visit it)

Thank you for your response. I'm glad there there is an update on this issue. 😀

I also appreciate that the "." rejection reason bug is now listed as "investigating" again rather than "resolved" as it had been on the known bug list.

Thank you for your work. The community knows you all are sometimes quietly working away. However a quick communication or update would be great to stop the some of the community's frustration. Even just a simple "still working on it" or "don't worry, we are still investigating this" can make the community feel less forgotten about.

Keep in mind that most of us feel these frustrations because we want Wayfarer and Niantic's mission to map and explore the world together to succeed. These bugs get in the way of that, so we report them hoping for a fix.

Please keep up the good work and let's continue to map the world together. 😊