Options for nominating

Nearby me there’s a Wayspot “Ornate Entry Way” (pic below) that is very old and poor quality and imho just stupid (there are several other similarly crappy “architecture” ones around here as well). Turns out however that the building itself is a designated Chicago landmark and I would love to make the building as a whole a Wayspot. I’m not sure how to approach this though. If I create a new Wayspot for the building, would that count as a duplicate? I’d rather not have to make a new one while the old one would still exist, since I won’t be able to see the nice high quality new one in my game of choice. The other option would be to edit the current stop with photo, name, etc. Won’t that take forever to get processed though? And what order do I need to do the edits in to make sure they get okayed?

Comments

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leav it as it is.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want, you can edit the existing wayspot with a more specific title like "Entryway to Whatever Building." But the entryway itself is what has been accepted into the system, and unless the entryway is gone, you should not attempt to have it removed or attempt to change what the existing wayspot is for.

• kaireky001-PGOkaireky001-PGO Posts: 54 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Okay so no touching the meaningless doorway. But y’all didn’t answer the question of if I nominated the building, would that qualify as a duplicate? I know places like parks and museums can be wayspots themselves but also have other wayspots inside that qualify on their own, but does the same principle apply to a building with a doorway?

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

I think if it's a large enough building, and your POI is located far enough away from the doorway, you might be able to get away with it. But if the building is not that big, there isn't a real point since it won't show up anywhere. And you might run into people who see the doorway and decide that it suffices for the building POI, especially if they're really close.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the doorway is beautiful, and it'd be nice if my game drew my eye to it. Then I'd notice other doorways too, and think what an interesting place this is - many people went to a lot of trouble just for art, not for function.

Sure, if the building is historic, nominate it too. Make sure the pin is 20+ meters from the doorway pin.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a general rule, it is indeed possible for both a "poi" and a "feature of poi" to become independent wayspots. It does require that the "poi" be large enough to accommodate all.

Both would need to be acceptable on their own independent merits.

But granted, it's not a common circumstance, and you do risk triggering reviewers' "duplicate" reflex. And often it's easier the other way around than you've got, ie. building before feature.

I've got a local formerly-government building in my downtown, it's been an Ingress portal since basically forever. But I have managed to successfully submit a carved stonework on an exterior wall. Due to proximity it's only visible in some games, not others.

• kaireky001-PGOkaireky001-PGO Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

The building is historic in part because of its architecture, which gets lost when a single feature is nominated because it looks nice without any consideration as to why it might look nice. That’s where my frustration comes from.