Another thread about art on the border of single-family or two-family residential

"Nominations that appear to be within 40m of private, single-family residential property should be very closely reviewed to make sure they are not on private residential property, and that they are accessible from locations not on private residential property."

So if I understand correctly, this means that a submission like this

can be considered eligible because it is on the corner of a private residence in a larger residential zone (not secluded) and the owner clearly placed this work of art there to be seen and admired by passers-by. The submitter goes on to claim that the photograph was taken with the permission of the owner.

It would be a different matter if the art was in the middle of the garden, or part of his gatepost, or the house in a more secluded area

Right?

I ask because I feel like anybody that turns their garage door with a direct connection to a public road into a big mural must expect people to stop and look at it. Then again, I get some contributions that are just industrially produced gate-post lion statues that are more intrusive.

Comments

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's still on the property of a private home. It is still ineligible and invalid. It doesn't matter if the home owner "gives permission" or intended for it to be seen by the public. Creating multiple posts about this topic will not change Niantic's ban on private residential property.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

pls dont try to gamble this or make up your own rules.

Niantic is very strickt about this as they have been sued about it.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy 1* on private residential property.

You will gain nothing by trying to squeeze into imagined wrinkles in the criteria. The reviewers will throw this out, and possibly tag it as abusive, faster than you can use an upgrade. Unless there’s a park or church or some other obvious non-residential location, leave neighborhoods out entirely.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Nominations that appear to be within 40m of private, single-family residential property should be very closely reviewed to make sure they are not on private residential property, and that they are accessible from locations not on private residential property."

That bolded part explicitly states that nominations must not be on private residential property. It doesn't matter whether they're inside someone's house, or on the outside of their garden wall, if they're physically in contact with any part of the private residential property including the outward facing side of the property boundary, they are still considered to be part of the private residential property and are thus ineligible. It's not that hard to understand.

I'm sure in some cases there are things placed by property owners that are intended to be admired by the community, but Niantic have a set of rules about what they do and do not want, and these would still fall into the "do not want" category

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 20% of the candidates i get in review are things that, like HankWolfman says, placed by single-familyhome-owners on the front side of the house, to be "admired" by the neighbours (or ppl passing by).

About 10% of the candidates are birds or deer, placed at the wall of a single-familyhome.

About 95% of these candidates have the text "no pokestops nearby" in the add.info.

Niantic really stresses us reviewers with these submissions.

• RooMarley-PGORooMarley-PGO Posts: 44 ✭✭

Okay somebody is obviously living in a different country than I am. If we applied the 40m rule to literally everything, we would hardly have Pokestops in Germany. Trust.

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

There is no actual 40m rule, though, as far as banning stops in that range. That's only an arbitrary distance to recommend you "more closely consider" the stop to make sure it's not actually on private residential property. If it's within 40m, it's totally fine, as long as it doesn't cross the property threshold.

• RooMarley-PGORooMarley-PGO Posts: 44 ✭✭

Ok thanks for all the feedback. These property laws are actually indeed an issue in Germany. If you pick a low-hanging apple reaching far into the sidewalk it's theft, but if it drops and the ground and you pick it up it's not. Some people do complain about people that hang around on public property outside their homes, but in densely populated areas this simply can be ignored because you are not entitled to always having an empty sidewalk outside your apartment.

We actually had some people complain because we were hanging around in front of a Church doing raids, which was totally within the scope of Covid regulations at the time the way we were doing it. Some people will always look for a reason to complain, especially where I live.... but I understand why certain rules need to be taken seriously in order to avoid unnecessary conflict. And I am not looking for "wiggle room", I am only trying to understand the concept so that I am most likely to confer with other people that have been wayfaring for longer.