Lawsuit settlement rules

I find it odd that random people are being asked to insure rules from a lawsuit settlement are being followed. It's Niantic responsibility?

If Niantic wants Wayfers to not allow anything 40m from the edge of PRF then be very clear about it. What is and not allowed to be near PRF?

Examples

Community playground that is 3m from the side of a PRF?

This LFL is too close to PRF?

This LFL is okay?

Utility box art?

Sidewalk perm art?

Trailhead/marker at edge of PRF?

FWIW, this is the year 2021. There are endless submissions that could be blocked at time of nominations just by checking zoning type if OSM. Then we could reviewing legally allowed nominations quickly.

Tagged:

Comments

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the legalese in the settlement translates to say: Niantic agreed not to put waypoints within 40m, because each game affects a 40m diameter (this was before Pogo expanded to 80m). If I can't erect a sign in someone's yard, why can I throw a resonator there?

However, if Niantic wants to prevent wayspots within 40m of a house, they can put a 40m circle around the nomination, on the review map. Currently, we don't even have a scale from Google, to guess at 40m.

I am not party to the settlement. But I agree that gamers should leave homeowners in peace. So, it's a conundrum.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

just read the lawsuit, then you will know.

Class Action Complaint in the Northern District of California, Case No. 4:16-cv-04300-KAW

• Hoomon-INGHoomon-ING Posts: 14 ✭✭

Good point on the public ability to edit OSM.

My take away from above comments is that something in an area of private residences doesn't get an instance rejection if it is not physically on the private property.

IMO it opens up liability because we could be putting a critical game feature 10m from a front door because of an eligible waypoint next to sidewalk in the publicly accessible area next to a road. My dog would freak out if a few people stayed there for more than a few seconds. I wouldn't be pleased.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that's why there's another part of the settlement (if I'm not mistaken) that allows for removal of wayspots located within a certain distance of a private single-family residential property by request of the property owner. But that has nothing to do with the submission review process--no one should be rejecting wayspots simply because they think the neighbors might request removal.

• SirKingIke-PGOSirKingIke-PGO Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Imagining there is no game - you are saying someone isnt allowed to stand on the sidewalk in front of your house? Im not sure about different country laws, but it would make no sense to me to have to right to send someone on public ground away.

Putting aside that owning a dog comes with responisbility, which can/should not be put on to random strangers having nothing to do with the dog.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

There's no rule that we can't nominate nor accept within 40m. Niantic just tells us to be careful bwith possible trespassing. With the lawsuit allowed if for property owners to request removal of waypoints within 40m of their properties.