Confused on reasons for rejections

I recently nominated a bust at a local University. It was rejected though for multiple reasons which I am very confused on. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how I could improve the nominations. I am pretty sure it meets all of the criteria due to it being located in a public Uni, so it has pedestrian access, and there are many busts of historical or cultural figures that are already waypoints in the area. The nomination is down below.

Would it be better if I nominate the plaque that discusses the bust instead of the bust itself?

Comments

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since this art is indoors, most likely people couldn't confirm its location (and may have clicked reasons that weren't fully reflective of that). Does this have a photosphere at the location uploaded to Google maps? This is all but necessary for indoor nominations. Also, I would make the supporting photo a close-up of the plaque so that people can see that what you put in the description is accurate. Showing the surroundings isn't always helpful for indoor nominations and is basically moot once you have a photosphere.

Your description is good to cover the subject of the art, but it may help to have more about the art itself (year created, artist name, if it was supported by an organization, etc.) Not sure if that info is on the plaque or if you'd have to research it elsewhere. While these details aren't mandatory, I feel like they help strengthen art nominations.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the same William Blackstone that created Blackstone's formulation? "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

• Mishibijiw-PGOMishibijiw-PGO Posts: 11 ✭✭

Because it is in a Uni, I am not sure if I am allowed to take an indoor photosphere. Even though it is inside though, the Uni is clearly marked on google maps and the marker is clearly in the building. As for the information on the plague, it doesn't appear to be donated and the Uni has not posted any supporting information on it. After some research, I have found only 2 articles regarding the busts existance, one being an article from 1954 mentioning its existence and a blog post in 2012 simply mentioning it is located in the Uni. Would these links work to confirm its location? @TheFarix-PGO, yes it is the same William Blackstone. He was the chair of law at this school and also contributed the American legal theory so he received a bust.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without indoor imagery on the map, all the reviewer can confirm is that the pin is in a building and there’s a picture of a hallway in a building. They can’t see if it’s the same building, much less if it’s in the correct location within said building.

The temporary/seasonal rejection means they think the janitor can come by any time and move that pedestal into the president’s office on the other end of campus*. You might need to show somehow that it’s built-in.

The natural feature rejection is, obviously, useless and inapplicable.

*not literally; this is a figure of speech designed to demonstrate that the pedestal doesn’t appear to be permanently affixed.

• mortuus-INGmortuus-ING Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

I would reject it, it can move anytime not like its permanent mounted on a wall or something.

Temporary means it is likely to be removed, not that it can be. I see not in the supporting photo that suggests that the bust will be removed after a set time.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a full-size bust with a dedicated stand. You have to decide whether it is likely to be moved, not whether it is possible to move it. This thing is on display here intentionally; it's not about to be moved just for the heck of it.

I think indoor nominations tend to be harder to get approved than they should be. There seems to be some segment of the Wayfarer population that either demands to see the exact spot where the object is on the satellite view and/or thinks that they have to be able to walk up to the object without entering any buildings (those would be the folk who wrongly marked "no pedestrian access"). You may have to submit this multiple times, but this absolutely looks like a good submission. I only have a couple of suggestions, and I'm not sure how much either of them will help:

1. Zoom out enough on the main photo to include the plaque on the pedestal,which I presume includes information on the professor. This might help a little with folks who think it's temporary and also helps back up your claims of significance.

2. If at all possible, try to find a building map to add as a link in your supporting text, then use your supporting photo and supporting text to match up the surroundings to the map. Perhaps you can match up the room numbers in the background to the map, or otherwise you can point out that staircase. I think this is the big hurdle for this nomination, and that has at least a chance of helping.

I would suggest that you include those details about Blackstone that will fit in the description field. It will establish who he is for anyone who has never heard of him, future has heard his formulation via Ben Franklin.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador

If that isn't the inverse of most reviewer's mindsets I don't know what is 😂

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, so out of curiosity, I dug around on this. I found this article which has very interesting details about a Blackstone bust on page 3: https://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1014&context=libnewsletter

I'm not sure if it's the same bust you nominated. Also, it says the busts were installed in the lobby, and your photo appears to not be in a lobby, so it may not be good for location proof (if it truly is the same bust), but you could glean some interesting details from it.

I can see this portal, which may not appear in Pogo. Not sure if this is related to your nomination:

As @flatmatt-PGO mentioned, a map could be helpful. At this website (https://wmlaw.university-tour.com/map.php), you can click on the "Law Library's History" pin and then click the green circle with a camera icon. That little museum depicted in most of the photos looks like it could be a good candidate in the Law School, and you could link to the website for proof. However, not sure if the museum thing is in a different cell than the portal posted above and the statue out front. If it's not, it won't appear in Pogo anyway, but it would be a good addition to Niantic's database.

• Mishibijiw-PGOMishibijiw-PGO Posts: 11 ✭✭

Thank so much, I will definitely be resubmitting it with your recommendations. It is not related to the stain glass and is in a completely unique cell. I have found a blog post from 2012 that directly references the bust with an image and that it is located in the hall of the university. I will also post a map with reference to its location. I have already nominated a wayspot in the library but if that get rejected I will most likely try one of the spots you recommended.

Thank you everyone for your recommendation!