Photo clarity

rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this first rejected due to a photo issue. I was given some great advice to clean the whole nomination up.. And took a new photo of a different part of the building.

And it has been rejected - AGAIN - for being a bad photo and I quote

-- Nomination does not meed the acceptance criteria. Photo appears to be tilted, sideways or upside down. Photo is a low quality (e.g pitch black/blurry photos or photos taken from a car.) --

Soooooooo - does this look bad? What else can I do? Help please ;-)

Shelley Warehouse and Substation 164

Sydney NSW

NOT ACCEPTED

2021-10-07

Description

Renovated "federation warehouse" built 1909 with Chicago industrial influence. Used for warehouse and retail. Listed for local heritage significance in 2016. Conserved 2020 along with the next door Electricity Substation 164. In the publically accessible lobby a glass frontage looks into the substation. The building is now heritage commercial with cultural space and a new "cloud style lightbulb" extension above. Entrance is on Clarence. The Clarence basement is ground level on Kent Street side.

316 Kent St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia

Supplemental Information

Safe to access. Building stretches from Clarence St to Kent. Great to explore the differing aspects. Social meeting space inside lobby where Sydney City Council heritage listing and building information is placed. In lobby original warehouse doors to substation appear to float in the newly created large high ceilinged open lobby. The State Heritage Listing here https://apps.environment.nsw.gov.au/dpcheritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=5062496 and a background on the new architectual build overview here https://www.ttw.com.au/projects/183-185-clarence-street/ Heritage criteria listing includes Criteria f) [Rarity] The exposed steel framework is rare as an unusual example of construction for an early twentieth century high-rise building. The building is also rare for its integrity, internally and externally, compared to warehouses of a similar period in Sydney. Criteria g) [Representativeness] The former warehouse represents a good and intact example of an inner-city warehouse designed in the Federation warehouse style which makes reference to the ‘Chicago Style’, and the work of architect Arthur Pritchard. It also contains good examples of formerly hydraulic-powered lifts.

Comments

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not have rejected that for the photo, but I think you could do much better by getting as far away from it as possible and getting as much of the building in as you can, including the light bulb part. Can you take the picture from the Kent St. side, or does the pin need to be on Clarence St.? Something like this, maybe from further away (which means at more of an angle) might work better:

Hmmm. Now I'm confused about which building you are submitting. Is it the one you took a picture of, or Substation No. 164? Or both? If the latter, then maybe something like this (getting as far away as you can/need to):

I'd also consider cutting way back on your supporting information. There's a lot of stuff in there that's either not necessary or irrelevant. The last two sentences of your description probably aren't necessary either.

Maybe something like:

"The State Heritage Listing is here https://apps.environment.nsw.gov.au/dpcheritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=5062496. The former warehouse represents a good and intact example of an inner-city warehouse designed in the Federation warehouse style which makes reference to the ‘Chicago Style’, and the work of architect Arthur Pritchard. The exposed steel framework is rare as an unusual example of construction for an early twentieth century high-rise building. The building is also rare for its integrity, internally and externally, compared to warehouses of a similar period in Sydney. It also contains good examples of formerly hydraulic-powered lifts."

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeez. That is a great photo. OK will try that.

It is easy to be confused. They are both listed but the new build has combined elements now.

Even worse the new combined building is called substation 164. BUT the Entrance is via Shelley Warehouse.

I have treid to focus on the just the one listing.

Thank you @Ochemist-ING .