October News: Rejection Reasons to be MIA for rest of year

Baasinet-PGOBaasinet-PGO Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited October 2021 in General Discussion

@NianticTinTino This is horrific news! Niantic is taking rejection reasons off emails… but won’t be adding the rejection reasons to nomination pages in the near future due to reduced engineering staff. Furthermore, the trainers submitting wayspots may not partake in the wayfarer experience, and never see the reasons even when they are posted on Wayfarer. This is going to block the learning curve for new wayfarers.

Currently, about a fifth of the nominations I review are blatantly ineligible. Getting the rejection reasons helps the newer wayfarers hone their skills. Without this in game training, they will not develop their skills and the % of blatantly ineligible nominations will rise. On the plus side, agreements will be quicker to accumulate for such lovelies as “Middle School Gazebo”.

please reconsider

Post edited by Baasinet-PGO on

Comments

• URWhatUKnow-INGURWhatUKnow-ING Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Put it this way: Why would they care? It's the community doing the reviews, so it doesnt matter if it's 1 trash sub/month or 1k/month, their effort is 0 and with more submissions, even if most are trash, some will be valid.

Do understand that while some Niantic lower-level staff might actually care about this, the higher ups couldn't give a rat's behind.

• Xaerfaal-PGOXaerfaal-PGO Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

Where is this news located?

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Though honestly not much more than what we already have now. At least, we won't have "my nomination was rejected for the 'wrong' reasons."

But I do think that this should be used as an opportunity to overhaul the reviewing process and basing the rejection reasons on how reviewers rate the nomination in each of the three criteria sections.

There have been a number of rejections I've received that don't have any justification for them, or even make sense.

I've had two rejections give a reason as "."

That's it. The reason was a dot.

Unless I'm not aware of something, I don't think that's an actual reason.

It's picking between the lesser of two evils, perhaps?

At least for me, maybe not giving any reasons for rejection would cause me less of a headache over seeing rejections with mind-numbingly dumb reasons. Some of them are legitimate, though, I have messed up a couple of times. But the majority just make me aggravated.

As much as I don't like being kept in the dark, maybe the dark is less stressful than seeing idiotic reasons for rejections.

Yes, I only just learned about the "." thing an hour or so ago from reading another thread (d'oh).

I can certainly agree with your point(s); and maybe from a different angle.

That is, not so much a hands-on learning in practice the acceptance and rejection criteria, but how reviewers themselves operate; which is not according to any official criteria. In a perfect world, reviewers would have no ulterior motives in reviewing nominations. But we're very much far away from that theoretical possibility.

That kind of learning, I do not object to.

I don't see how Niantic could even begin to enforce reviewers to strictly stick to judging nominations solely by the criteria they have put out.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

As a reviewer I am concerned that there will be no reasons given to the submitter.

I do want the overhaul of the system to be in place and the focus in future into being on education in order to improve.

However having no reason given at all is not helpful.

Surely the text of the email could have been tweaked to say something along the lines of

The following rejection reasons have been selected by wayfinders …….. please note that it is not always clear which rejection reason applies and if there is a range given this is likely to be due to a range of categories that apply. Please reflect on this feedback and address some of the issues raised before considering resubmission.

This would allow the current system to remain in place until a new one was ready.

Although we all see examples with spurious reasons there must be plenty of instances where the current system works well eg it’s a school. I fear without any reasons or explanation why then there will just be repeat submissions without any adjustment.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,121 Ambassador
    edited October 2021

We used to get super generic rejections on emails before Wayfarer. See an old Ingress rejection;

We've reviewed your Portal submission and given the information you've provided in your submission, we have decided not to accept this candidate.

At this time, we’re not able to provide specific rejection reasons for each submission we review; however, the following are common reasons for rejection:

• The candidate is on our PLEASE DON’T SUBMIT list
    • We couldn't find evidence that the candidate meets any of our ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA
    • The candidate was submitted in an incorrect location, and we weren't able to find the right location

So if there is a gap between rejection reasons being removed, and then being put on to Wayfarer, I guess we will get something similar

As a note, the “PLEASE DON’T SUBMIT LIST & ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA” did have links in the original email, I just removed them as they’re no longer valid.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

The appeals section on Google+ was the worst. Almost everyone asked why their church or playground didn't meet any ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA or wondered why the candidate was marked in an incorrect location when the pin was exactly on the candidate in question.

At least this means that the people are who submitting actually have to log into Wayfarer to check out the rejection reasons (eventually), but really, what is the proportion of people who have submitted trash and have never even logged into Wayfarer, or even know what it does in the first place?

The majority of such nominations are just random submissions because that button to potentially create a pokestop just exists there.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

I dk about you, but i dedicate countless hours helping people improve their nominations to have a better chance of success and almost always rejection reasons server as a guide at valid concerns that need to be addressed in the nomination.

• ftzzghzuhdidu-INGftzzghzuhdidu-ING Posts: 391 ✭✭✭

Does this mean that we don't have to choose anymore a reason when rejecting?

• charlahinkle-PGOcharlahinkle-PGO Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

I think they could solve all that by any 1* need a written comment. Then actually send the written comments. I have had several submissions I 1* today because they obviously had someone's driverside window and side mirror in them. Great nominations otherwise.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first, in OPR, there were no rejection reasons - you just hit 1* and went to the next nomination.

People begged Niantic to add reasons, so REVIEWERS could understand what should be rejected. After about a year, Niantic gave in.

But NOMINATORS still had no idea. People begged Niantic to send rejection reasons to the nominator. After about a year, Niantic gave in.

So now we're going back one step. I don't think Niantic sees that as a big problem. It's not emotional to them, even if we're frustrated.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,121 Ambassador
    edited October 2021

I think they could solve all that by any 1* need a written comment. Then actually send the written comments

When I am starting to get fed up with the amount of coal, near the end of a review session I don’t think a comment of;

”**** the **** off, this is a poster in your house.”

would be well received but I get your point.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charlahinkle-PGO For a while at least some 1* rejection reasons required a written comment. People worked around that by using different rejections. I suspect that requiring text for all 1* rejections would get people to vote 2* 1* 1* instead of having to type a rejection reason.

I'm pretty sure that Ingress comm has well and truly taught Niantic their lesson about letting players type messages to each other in games.

• Mormegil71-INGMormegil71-ING Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

IMHO, the rejection reasons given in the mails were often pure BS anyway, so it isn't a big loss.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine the unfiltered trolling and abuse that would go in if reviewer comments were sent directly to the subitter without any moderation or filtering by Niantic............

Not a good idea, though I do wish I could make the odd comment direct myself for some nominations. 😉