Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Stain Glass Windows

Good day, people! Hope everyone is well.

So, today, I'm wondering if stained glass windows on churches would be deemed duplicates. I don't mean the typical stained glass windows you find in churches that usually display a saint, or Jesus, or the Virgin Mary, etc. I mean unique stained glass windows.

As an example, this one shows a turkey in St. Andrew's Church in a village called Boynton. Now, the significance of it being a turkey is that the Strickland family who were barons of Boynton for some time, were the same Stricklands that descended from the William Strickland that introduced turkeys to England, and they paid for the reconstruction of that church. They also used a turkey in their coat of arms.

So, I'm curious if this could pass off as a wayspot on it's own merit or if it would be deemed a duplicate.

SIDE NOTE: The picture was taken last year when I submitted the church itself, so I don't have a supporting photo to go with it at present and probably wouldn't attempt to submit it until after lockdown has eased/been lifted in the UK.

Answers

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

Stained glass windows can be separate wayspots from the church itself, but they will rarely result in a separate game token from the church itself as they will bee too close to the church portal/stop in nearly all cases.

• grendelwulf-INGgrendelwulf-ING Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

It would have to be really special for me not to mark it a duplicate. Like Tiffany and co. Special.

• AgentB0ss-INGAgentB0ss-ING Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NicoSolheim-ING Stained Glass is both visually unique and has interesting history around it. As long as the stained glass is either historic or artistic enough it should be reviewed separate from the church itsself. Similar to a mural outside of a building or a display at a museum.

The most difficult thing is getting a great picture to display how radiant the glass is when lit up.

• aWildKeithApprd-PGOaWildKeithApprd-PGO Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

Rose windows, would probably be the most relevant thing to submit as a separate POI. Though there are loads of amazing 19th and 20th Century artists that contributed to or designed stained glass pieces. There are also individual sculptures that could be classed as a separate POI on bigger churches.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

There's a Church near me that has a stained glass window as its own Wayspot. Interestingly though, there is no evidence of that Church itself ever being a Wayspot (even though there would be room for it, if position correctly). The stained glass, visible from the street outside is really nice I think!

• Sugarstarzkill-PGOSugarstarzkill-PGO Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a huge stained glass window accepted, it actually is like, 75% of the entire wall. I was strategic about submitting though. I submitted the stained glass first, waited for it to get accepted, THEN submitted the sign for the church as the church way spot, and it helped that the sign is pretty far from the building itself.

I definitely was concerned that if I did it the other way around, it'd just be marked as a duplicate. But thankfully it turned out fine!