Select the photos that don't meet the criteria (again)

Are we supposed to decide if they are good photo disc photos?

Are they really photos of actual wayspots? Is one of them the photo disc photo? Are they a mix of supporting photos and disc photos? Is Niantic trying to find people who aren't paying attention? It's so poorly set up and I don't see their point since without feedback my answers aren't helping me get better. I'm confused.

Much of what I'm seeing have none that fit disc photo criteria because we can barely read the name on buildings to prove they are what the information says they are. We are given these photos to choose from with no map that may show a name and no supporting information.

There are times when I get "choose the best location" which I understand are players suggesting location edits... BUT sometimes the photos are so poor that you have to think "the supporting information must have been good since the photo itself is terrible."

Comments

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

Photo reviews are photos of suggested photo additions, along with those the system adds one current photo. You are not meant to know which one is the current photo. You are supposed to vote based on the guidelines. The guidelines are linked in each photo review.

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

If all photos technically meet the guidelines but one is higher quality, is doing what I do which is selecting "all photos meet the qualifications" the correct thing to do?

Sometimes one or more is fairly bad but not bad to the point that I would have denied the original nomination for photo quality issues.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,560 Ambassador

I always leave any photo that meets criteria and shows the object. Only photos that are so bad that the POI can't be identified, or which violate standards by showing faces, license plates, submitter personal objects, etc. get rejected. There may be a lot of lower-quality photos and only a few good ones, but the community can upvote their favorite as needed - that's not the judgement we're making in these edits.

I'd love to get a photo edit for NL-1331X just once in my lifetime. :)

It is completely ok to not reject any photo as that's not the purpose of the review. All games now allow for multiple photos to be viewed, so it's good to have multiple valid photos.

Think of it this way - there are a few waypoints around here that display their original photos, including some where the submitter has since passed away. Cell phone photo capabilities have come a long way since user submissions were first accepted, so those may not be the crispest, highest-resolution photos in the list - but they're still valid according to photo criteria. Rejecting photos with minor quality issues makes them go away forever. Letting them stand is the best course of action. There might be a story behind those imperfect photos!

Just to be clear, rejecting a photo that's already on the waypoint does not get it removed.

Yep, I was just trying to illustrate the fact that even the imperfect photos might have a great story attached and should not be rejected unless they clearly would not have passed if they were the original one on the nomination. Pitch black, blurry to the point of being incomprehensible, containing identifying information....yes, reject. Slightly tilted, has a bit of sun glare, taken at night (but still visible), not high-res: give 'em a break. Sometimes people don't have the greatest of phones, either, but one shouldn't need a $1k phone to get an acceptable photo added.

• Scallyj-INGScallyj-ING Posts: 16 ✭✭✭

I get these reviews a lot, I am assuming they are set up as an algorithm, does anyone know if they count towards agreements for the Recon badge?

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Occasionally one or two are not eligible - either fuzzy, really really too dark, exact duplicates of another photo in the stack or ones where you can see faces or numberplates.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's very common for all of the photos to meet the criteria, and it's perfectly OK to mark them as such. It's also far too common to get photos that just blatantly fail the criteria, like screenshots of games, photos of people, and other ridonculous things. I've seen a few recently that are screenshots of the existing wayspot.

Apply the same criteria that you would use if you were reviewing each photo as part of the initial wayspot. The photo guidelines are here: https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/new/help/photo-guidelines

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just pick the photos that you know are the best ones. Normally POI have many photos attached to them; therefore you can select the real photos of the POI in question. If they are obviously incorrect photos those are the ones we are looking for to

have removed. Sometimes in the past incorrect photos slipped through the cracks & were added to POI automatically which is the reason why some POI have random

incorrect photos. Niantic was said to be reviewing them but I firmly believe that they weren’t & after setting in queue for so long we’re just approved. I’ve seen POI of just people in their homes, or their pets, or like @Hosette-ING said, many ridonculous other things. I agree, some photos are so bad that it’s hard to read the words printed on them while reviewing. A lot of POI with low quality photos are older POI that have been in game for ten years now. But if they’re correct & match the title for the POI then they must stay. Cameras have came a long way since then. 🤯 Kinda crazy to think about. Also, if you see a POI in game with a low quality photo that’s correct, you can submit a new photo & once it gets accepted if the other photo has no likes, you can then like your photo in game & it will become the cover photo for the POI in question

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,486 Ambassador

And gone are the days when there was no supplementary photo and you had to try and convey not only the object but where it was in one photo. So a mix of this plus much higher quality photos meansnew ones can be much better. I go through phases of submitting new ones…..but I am understanding of why there may be a big difference