High School Athletics Facilities

ShadowStarfish-PGOShadowStarfish-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2021 in Criteria Clarifications

I'm new to the review process (and forums) and was seeking clarification for school stadiums and other athletic property. I was under the impression that any POI nominated on K-12 school property was ineligible. As such, I have been 1* those that fell into that category; however, I've seen some wayspots in the "check for duplicates" section that have nominations which went through and are on K-12 school grounds. I've also come across an edit that was for a stadium used by two high schools, one of which can be found on Google Map. I just want to make sure I'm not rejecting what would otherwise be a legit nomination and if it is not, where I can report it if it's something outside my area such as the edit example.

Comments

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may have slipped through the cracks, or been an old waypoint that is "grandfathered" in.

Nominations on K-12 grounds are ineligible, so you are correct to 1* with the K-12 reason.

As far as reporting, in-game you can only report it if you are in interaction distance with the portal/PokéStop. I'm not 100% sure the process for things you find while reviewing so I'll let someone else answer that question.

• Good to know. Thanks.

• Diskrepansi-INGDiskrepansi-ING Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

I looked further into this in my own area; I found out that a lot of what may be thought of as being "school grounds" - particularly the athletic fields - are actually owned by the city, and do not belong to the school / education board, and can be used by the public (signs with the phone number to call are often attached to fences or bleacher seating). The actual school grounds typically includes the building and parking, and will often (but not always) include any very-close playground.

I have therefore put in nominations at these locations. That said - I've also ensured to nominate locations that are the furthest away from the school while still being on the relevant athletic field.

Depending on where you are, this may or may not apply.

• I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it for my area. Thanks for the feedback.

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have fields like that (city property that can be used by leagues and the public when not in use by the school) but those same fields also have signs stating certain things are not allowed on school grounds, so I think they fall under K-12 school property and I submit them for removal when I come across them.

One K-12 school near me is on a street filled with historic plaques, artwork, historic structures, and buildings that are legitimate POI so there is no reason for stuff like schools to be left as wayspots. One example is the site of Doctor Scholl's first factory that was prior to that the factory of the world's largest bicycle maker built in 1889. That is across the street from the school. There are multiple spots tours take people to within 3-4 blocks in either direction from the school (many but not all of those POI are wayspots but at least one is too close to the school).