Nomination from other countries

Its not easy to make a good job with nomination when a lot of them come from other countries, I dont understand the information sign, dicription from a lot of foto,

Comments

• Thor3381-INGThor3381-ING Posts: 220 ✭✭✭

You get nominations from a radius of about 250 km around your home location.

In case you've set a bonus location as well, you'll get a radius around that location as well.

Next to that you'll also get nominations based on the area where you've played.

But I agree with you, NIA could let reviewers list up the languages they understand, and add a filter based on phone-language, language detection in the descriptions.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use a translation tool. It's pretty easy once you get used to it. (On PC, I always have Google Translate open when I review. On my phone, I use Google Chrome and it can automatically translate any text I highlight. (I'm not sure if this is possible on other browsers as well.) Plus, after a while, you learn to recognize the most common phrases in surrounding languages. I, for example, have learned how to say "playground", "memorial" and "church" in Slovak, Czech and Romanian.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't agree that choosing between languages should be implemented. It's one of those things that sounds good at first glance and on paper, but in reality, it would lead to massive issues, for two main reasons.

First: it would be a massive hit for minority languages. Anyone submitting in a languages that's rare or very restricted would be at a huge disadvantage, with possibly close to zero reviewers looking at their nominations. This would affect areas that are usually already at a disadvantage (rural, remote or politically/socially secluded communities). It would drive them towards abandoning their native language in nominations and "conform" to the local majority language. I don't want that.

Second (and probably objectively more important): it would open a huge gate for abuse. If a group of people want to have anything accepted, all they would need to do is to nominate anything in a locally non-existant language. Let's say that a number of people in Chile start submitting - and reviewing - things in Icelandic. That would practically ensure that only members of the group would ever see those nominations during review, making abuse super easy. If Niantic decided that only locally established languages are allowed, they could always choose a minority language (to stick with the example of Chile, Mapuche) and drown out the few people who actually use that language for Wayfarer.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm based in the UK, but have been getting a lot of French nominations recently. Even without running some of the supporting text and titles through Google translate, I'm pleased to be able to report that "le charbon!" is just as obvious in French nominations as it is in English ones. The same applies to nominations that are "invalide! or "Propriété résidentielle privée".

• VladDraco-PGOVladDraco-PGO Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭

No, 250 km is not what we observe.

I'm currently in the south west of France but I've never had nominations for Spain (less than 250 km away) and I have everyday nominations from Switzerland, Germany and Belgium, more than 1000 km away.

I think it's more something like all countries are shaped with squares, so you have the squares determined for your country of origin.

Niantic has made their own borders.

• VladDraco-PGOVladDraco-PGO Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭

I lived in Kent and yes, 1/10th of the nomination are the northern part of France.