Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Bad words filter blocks legitimate words in non-English languages

bilde2910bilde2910 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

The bad words filter reacts to any substring of words that are on the list of blocked words, even if said substring is part of a word that is not offensive in the language used for the description of the wayspot.

Here's an example:

Dette tok slutt for 50 år siden.

This sentence is Norwegian and translates to "This ended 50 years ago."

Wayfarer prevents me from putting this sentence into a description on Wayfarer because one of the words above contains, as a substring, a certain bad word relating to some **** activity. However, the word (as a whole) is a perfectly acceptable word in Norwegian language. The error message returned when putting this in the description is "Failed to validate description."

Submitting in-game also provides non-descript error messages. Submitting such a description from Ingress will result in a generic "failed to submit nomination"-type error message, possibly indicating server issues, not a problem with the bad words filter. This is after usage of mobile data to upload the images for the nomination. I personally thought the nominations server was down until I tried to modify another wayspot in Wayfarer at home.

14 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments