More reviewers not reading

Comments

• grendelwulf-INGgrendelwulf-ING Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

Why stop there? Let's just nominate every spa, massage parlor, suntan parlor, and chiropractor.

• Well because a lot of the things that the person has mention have been clarified by Niantic as being eligible

additionally just because something is eligible doesn’t equate to accepted.

i have questioned the historical and uniqueness too but I think some other reviewers have taken an approach of uniqueness being something that is distinguishable and identifiable from the surroundings. I find that approch interesting and helpful.

however, I don’t understand your approach. Is this to be contrarian to provoke thoughtfulness. Or just the opposite?

• 1253mi-PGO1253mi-PGO Posts: 49 ✭✭

I live in Japan. I've a nice dojo nearby that I should nominate. I thought they might be rejected here but I'll try.

http://www.renshinkan-top.jp/headquarter?lang=en

• grendelwulf-INGgrendelwulf-ING Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

Portals should be interesting. **** mall dojos, planet fitness, little tutu's dance studio just don't cut it.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sports facilities run by corporations tend to be less likely to be approved than those run by the public sector.

However, it is not an immediate denial.

However, they will not be approved unless you can show that it is a place with proper significance, just like a cafe or restaurant.

The same is true for cafes and restaurants that are often rejected if the only explanation is "this is a cafe where Pokemon trainers gather" or "this is a popular restaurant.

The player making the recommendation must explain the significance of the spot to the judges in a factual and correct manner without making up a story.

If that is accepted, it will be approved.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

What's the difference between Starbucks and a local hopsot of a café? The difference is one is a big chain whose locations all look about the same whereas the other can afford to be more individual. As such, I would reject the big chain hiking store and be happy to accept a local family run dojo or even a dance studio, precisely because it has that unique feel to it.

Some dojos have a lot of history attached to them. They may even train Olympic athletes, for such sports as Taekwondo, Karate or Judo. A big chain sports store does not do those things. They do not (usually) conduct exercise classes on their premises and they all tend to look about the same and as such do not have much individuality.

Those places you listed are not places which promote exploration, exercise or being social and as such they would not meet any criteria. You know that and I know that too. Anyone who nominates such places is wrong. However, we are supposed to nominate places which do promote exercise, and as such I would be happy to accept any local hotspot not part of a big chain that promotes exercise.

Some dojos have a lot of history attached to them. They may even train Olympic athletes, for such sports as Taekwondo, Karate or Judo. A big chain sports store does not do those things. They do not (usually) conduct exercise classes on their premises and they all tend to look about the same and as such do not have much individuality.

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're missing the point.

They didn't submit the dojo as being a unique local business, they didn't submit it as being community hotspot, they just went for the lazy attempt in saying it promotes exercises.

In that regard it doesn't promote exercise any more than a hiking shop selling hiking equipment does.

As I have said before, there are good reasons to accept a karate dojo, but saying it promotes exercise isn't it, in that regard you may as well just nominate a path on a street as it promotes exercise by being there for you to walk on.

edited November 2021

Since you made a comment a pedestrian path, let's address that strawman. In the case of a path, where would one anchor the Wayspot? That is the issue with a plain path and why it should be rejected.

There has to be something on the path with which to anchor the Wayspot to, such as an information board or a trail marker. A path on its own could reasonably be rejected as showing a "natural feature" as there's nothing there, especially in the case of an unpaved one. In addition, to be on a path does not necessarily mean doing "exercise" as many people will be on their mobility scooters on said path and therefore not walking/jogging/running/cycling.

Based on prior knowledge, we know that a good dojo does more than merely "promote exercise". I would not be rejecting a nomination based purely on a lazy description. If the description does not violate the rules and nomination meets the criteria laid out by Niantic, then I would accept it.

A dojo is a place to go and be social and a place to do exercise as well. Therefore, it meets the Niantic criteria of a place to be social and place to do exercise. Thus, I cannot see a reason to reject it. Whereas, I can reject a generic chain store as being just that: generic and boring.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

But a karate dojo by definition promotes excercise. Karate, like all other martial arts, is excercise. A dojo is a place dedicated to a sport, which makes it eligible in my eyes even without the social aspect.

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

Quite a bit of difference between a store only interested in an impersonal sales transaction, and a place where people who are educated and trained in specialized skills personally work with you to develop the same skills for yourself. The very nature of that environment promotes exercise through encouragement and positive reinforcement. You don't get that at home from your weights or treadmill.

A hiking shop by definition promotes exercise in exactly the same way. Both give you the tools to do exercise. Both on their own are just generic businesses.

Indeed there is. People are trying to rationalise not following the criteria laid out by Niantic because they seem to have a vendeta against dojos, for some reason. From the side opposing this dojo nomination, I'm seeing whataobusim and strawman arguments.

Even though a generic chain hiking shop may or may not promote exercise, it falls under one of the rejection criteria: that of being a generic business. The rejection criteria override what ever redeeming qualities a nomination may have. Therefore, I have no issues rejecting a generic chain store, regardless of it's promoting exercise.

And a Karate Club is a generic business.

You go there to pay money to exercise and be taught karate.

You go to hiking shop to pay money to get equipment to exercise.

There is nothing different on a fundamental level between the two in promoting exercise.

edited November 2021

I would dispute that my local dojo is a generic business. In any case, one is not doing exercise on the premesis of the store of the hiking chain. Notice the criteria say "a great place for exercise", not "a place which promotes exercise". It's a subtle difference. A hiking store is there to sell me things and I can reasonably go in there any receive no encouragement to do any exercise nor do any exercise.

Actually it does further down.

"A place you’d go to get some fresh air, stretch your legs, or exercise. Places that encourage walking, exercising, and enjoying public spaces. Or something that teaches or encourages us to be our healthiest selves."

So a hiking shop, encourages walking, encourages you to enjoy public spaces, and encourgages you to be healthy, all while stretching your legs and getting fresh air.

It has them all covered

• CheeryDog-PGOCheeryDog-PGO Posts: 23 ✭✭

Generic Business was the rejection reason for literally everything.

edited November 2021

Are you suggesting we should accept hiking shops then, if we are being consistent?

I believe the difference between a big chain hiking shop and the local dojo is the same as the difference between a big chain coffee house and a local café. Each business should be rated on its own merits and to my mind, if a new store from a big chain selling hiking products opened up near me it's NOT the sort of business I'd be excited to tell my friends about, even if sure, the customer service may or may not be good.

Whereas, if I attended a local dojo and thought it was a good place, it's exactly the sort of business I'd be talking about with my friends. That's the difference. People are not enthused by big chain stores in the same way they are but the local martial arts establishment. The big chain stores, if they want to be in Niantic games, they can apply for a sponsorship with Niantic.

Where I live, pubs, inns and taverns have no trouble at all being accepted, but that doesn't mean the local McDonald's should be accepted. People never nominate the local McDonald's here anyway, because they know it's too boring of a business. Therefore, using my best judgement, I would accept the dojo but not the generic hiking store.

• AgentX1976-INGAgentX1976-ING Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the most part I would think if the dojo wants to be a pokestop they have an option to become a sponsor. If you go back to the generic buisness regection reasons I would be fairly certain this is the reason we were to reject those in the past.

Reality is a generic dojo is just that. A generic dojo. I understand the promotes Excercise argument but there really should be something special about the location to get a nomination. Even if it's a nice mural inside. Or a fountain.

We have a chain of coffee shops here that each nomination is something that makes that particular location unique. Each one has diffrent engravings in the sidewalk, or a large open area to gather and hang out outside maybe with a firepit or something. It's not much but it makes a difference. Look a little outside the box.

I don't think the intended purpose is to get so much stuff to jam full the game with more generic stuff like Foursquare.

Don't overlook showing the buisness the sponsorship opportunities. We had a local pop culture shop take out a sponsorship for a Gym even though they already had a gym for free.

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sponsorship is a completely unacceptable alternative for eligible locations, as not every game offers them and they are available globally, even in PoGo. When I play Ingress, it would be zero consolation for a great spot not being portal that it was a sponsored pokestop.

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

* aren’t available globally

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Applebees, Mcdonalds, Ram's Horn, Pizza Hut, those are generic restaurants to reject.

Local restaurants that people gather at and hotspots are elgible.

Same logic for Dojos/Dance Studies/Gyms.

Powerhouse, Planet Fitness... nope...

Local Dojo or Dance Studio yes.

I'm not sure what the angst is.

Does it promote community gathering. YES.

Does it promote execise at that location: Yes

That's 2 of 3 categories. Anyone who auto 1 stars those types of things should have their rating cut.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not the definition of a generic business - that's the definition of every business in existence. By your logic, anything that charges you for anything should be automatically rejected.

You go to a zoo to pay money to see animals. Generic business.

You go to a museum to pay money to see art. Generic business.

You go to a train station to pay money to get on a train. Generic business.

This is nonsense and blatantly against the reviewing guidelines. The fact that a place charges you to enter (or restricts access in some other way) doesn't make it ineligible. You, as a veteran of this forum, should know that perfectly well.

Again you're not understanding.

You go to a museum because it gives cultural and historical information and qualifys on that basis.

A zoo is a local gathering spot, usually, and has information etc on animals, so qualifys on that.

A train station can be a transport hub so qualifies on that.

You need something for a business to quailfy on, be it being a unique local hyperspot, being informative etc.

Just saying a karate dojo promotes exercise doesn't distinguish it from any other business, hiking shop etc that promotes excerse.

I will again reiterate, there are valid reasons to accept a karate dojo, just trying to grift a submission in on saying it promotes exercise isn't enough when a generic shoe shop that sells walking boots promotes exercise in just the same way.

I have never said a place that charges money is ineligible, thats something you've made up.

I have repeatedly said that on a fundamental level a karate dojo acts on exactly the same was a hiking shop in promoting exercise and that isnt sufficent to stop it being a generic business without something else it does.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. the comparison is flawed.

Not only is it different that you actually exercise at the dojo vs not exercise at hiking shop as others have pointed out/

But you You don't gather at a hiking shop. You might have 10+, 20+ people all gathering to practice Kararte at same time at Dojo. They are all doing same thing and interacting and practicing together. At store, people aren't gathering and interacting to shop together.