Wayfarer 4.2: New User Orientation

NianticTintino-INGNianticTintino-ING Posts: 1,103 admin
edited November 2021 in Release Notes

Hello Explorers!

Here’s what’s new with Wayfarer 4.2

All new Wayfarer Explorers will experience a Wayfarer orientation on their very first log-in. The experience walks Explorers through setting up their profile, understanding Agreements and Upgrades, the Wayfarer Criteria and finally taking the Wayfarer quiz. It will skip walking through the Nominations or Review pages for now, as these will face major overhaul next year. 

Change from our Oct 20/2021 announcement 

• Explorers who have logged in for the first time before the release date and have already passed the Wayfarer quiz will not experience the orientation, nor have to retake the quiz.
  • Explorers who have not logged in within 6 months before the release date and have not passed the Wayfarer quiz will experience the orientation and must pass the quiz.
  • Going through the orientation will require you to set your Hometown Location. If you do not experience/are exempt from the orientation, nothing will change with your existing Hometown Location settings. 

Please note that we’re also planning to change how new users get access to the in-game contribution features in Pokémon GO, to be gated by level and user orientation status, by sometime in January --> Once a player reaches eligibility in Pokémon GO, they’ll be asked to visit Wayfarer’s website to onboard. Their contribution features in-game will be enabled once they've gone through orientation and passed the training quiz. Otherwise they will remain disabled. We expect to implement the same in Ingress next year.

Until then, the feature unlock will remain the same by only reaching in-game eligibility level. However, all new and lapsed users visiting Wayfarer's website will still have to go through the new orientation flow per the bullet points above.

As always, Safe Exploring!

Tagged:

Comments

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

That is good to hear that there are other things being looked into aside from quizzing. One of the big reasons I've been told by a lot of people they couldn't get into reviewing was because they weren't sure how to apply the criteria to certain types of iffy nominations (Scenic lookouts, apartment signs, lots of stuff not specifically mentioned) or how the 1-5 star rating scale worked with the criteria. Looking forward to other refamiliarization or criteria education things on the wayfarer site will make it more accessible to new and returning reviewers.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador

that's good to hear, it's pretty discouraging seeing inarguable reject nominations become an ever larger portion of the review pool and more discouraging still to encounter folks with an astonishingly poor perception of the eligibility criteria. Both ends of this problem really need to be addressed and it would be an improvement for the rest of us if those folks had to go through some kind of mandatory training before being allowed to continue. I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next steps!

• Sunlitgarden-INGSunlitgarden-ING Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Agreed! Please make sure to emphasize this before people are permanently locked in. Maybe give them a 1 time chance to reset it if they aren't happy with the situation after reviewing for a little while.

• ArabellaArdelia-PGOArabellaArdelia-PGO Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

What would be nice but I doubt they will, is if there was some sort of alert when setting home location “based on your recent play area you are already reviewing this location, are you *sure* you want to set it here?”

I feel like the way it is currently presented makes people think “oh I’m playing in this area and currently live here so of course this is my hometown”, which is not the way it actually works.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you @NianticTintino it is a first step that will lead to something good

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Please note that we’re also planning to change how new users get access to the in-game contribution features in Pokémon GO, to be gated by level and user orientation status, by sometime in January --> Once a player reaches eligibility in Pokémon GO, they’ll be asked to visit Wayfarer’s website to onboard. Their contribution features in-game will be enabled once they've gone through orientation and passed the training quiz. Otherwise they will remain disabled. "

This means all contribution features right? Such as:

• Edit Title
    • Add Photo
    • Scan PokéStop
    • Edit Location
    • Add/Edit Description
    • Report Invalid PokéStop, and of course
    • New PokéStop/Portal nominations

Just to confirm. This would extremely be helpful in curbing a lot of the existing issues we're facing by giving abusers an extra step or two before they can start making abusive contributions. *prays*

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticTintino @NianticDanbocat I have several questions:

(1) Wouldn't it be fair if entirely everyone, newbies or those who already reviewed 10k+ nominations, to retake the quiz?

(2) Would there be any chances for users who have already failed the quiz two times to experience the orientation and give them one last time to retake the quiz?

(3) Speaking of the quiz, would the quiz bank to be updated, either replace or add more questions? It's just pointless to keep current quiz bank if people spoiled the answers in the internet (while the quiz are extremely easy, of course).

• Sunlitgarden-INGSunlitgarden-ING Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

This is a duplicate. As you can see from the supporting text, submitter may be unaware that military bases aren't supposed to have stops.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet that if you include a lovely playground which is actually in a military base as a honeypot or question in the Wayfarer quiz, I'd believe the majority of Wayfarers will answer incorrectly.